U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 10:45 AM

3,201 posts, read 2,535,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
If you buy a house with a well make sure to get a back up generator.
And potentially a big one... The start-up current for a 2.5HP well pump will sink most of the portable models. Also, a back-up generator does far more than just run the well pump....
How about heat (granted it could be oil or gas), but if the circulators/blowers are electric, unless you use wood..... A decent automatic back-up generator runs a good deal of cash.... (though it has been a long time ago for me).
The smallest I ever bought was 10kW, and I preferred about 20kW. All a matter of what you prefer, and what you need to run. Just my opinion. Fortunately here it averages in the 80's for temperature, and the water is free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 12:54 PM

1,038 posts, read 2,361,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Be nice to the bugs in your septic and they will be nice to you.

If you flush down things that are meant to kill things, you will kill your septic and it will have to be pumped often.
Very true. Keep bleach in the laundry and household cleaning to a minimum.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:51 PM

161 posts, read 132,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
If you buy a house with a well make sure to get a back up generator.
On the South Shore most houses have town water.

Most of the people are actually receiving water as PUMPed from wells in the watershed clusters around the Pembroke area. This includes Brockton, Abington, Whitman, Rockland, Hanover, etc.

Most have septic systems. Good luck to you in finding a relatively modestly priced house south of Boston without a failed septic system. Most of them have required new systems. The biggest thing with the new system requirements are the hideous vents.

You need to maintain a supply of water on a personal well system in case of a power outage during a hurricane.

Without electricity you do not have toilets, showers, or anything. I was surprised to find out newbies moving from the north shore...they didn't know this one.

Be prepared. I have been through 2 1 week power outages so far in my life. I had a 2 week outage, once.

Bill

Old 07-30-2012, 12:05 AM

4 posts, read 4,352 times
It's important to have the septic system inspected as part of the contingency of your offer and to counter offer if repairs are necessary. Check with a local health department and study the regulations and size requirements for a septic system in a new home and see if you can compare the size of the current home's system to current regulations. A septic system is designed for the size of a home and the perceived number of people living in the home based on the size of the home/number of bedrooms. Also be careful not to overuse chlorine bleach in your washer since the bleach kills the bacteria in the septic system.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:54 AM

417 posts, read 615,531 times
just got a house with a septic. apart from avoiding bleach and other household chemicals...what else can we do to preserve its good condition? i check before buying bathroom paper to ensure that they are septic safe....but are they all like they say (even the thicker ones)? and i don't use a garbage disposal but i've heard mixed reviews on that one.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:47 AM

675 posts, read 592,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatturkey View Post
just got a house with a septic. apart from avoiding bleach and other household chemicals...what else can we do to preserve its good condition? i check before buying bathroom paper to ensure that they are septic safe....but are they all like they say (even the thicker ones)? and i don't use a garbage disposal but i've heard mixed reviews on that one.
Don't flush lady products, throw them out. Unless you want to pay the Septic company to remove them for you.

Avoid using anti-bacterial hand soap and putting fats, greases down the drain.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:19 AM

417 posts, read 615,531 times
is the rid-X thing any good?

Old 07-30-2012, 10:50 AM

3,201 posts, read 2,535,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklinenative View Post
It's important to have the septic system inspected as part of the contingency of your offer and to counter offer if repairs are necessary. Check with a local health department and study the regulations and size requirements for a septic system in a new home and see if you can compare the size of the current home's system to current regulations. A septic system is designed for the size of a home and the perceived number of people living in the home based on the size of the home/number of bedrooms. Also be careful not to overuse chlorine bleach in your washer since the bleach kills the bacteria in the septic system.
If I recall properly, it is not an option to have to get the septic inspected for operation upon sale of a house (unless it is going to be dozed)... it is the law. Let's call it "Title V".

Old 07-30-2012, 11:53 AM

3,267 posts, read 2,512,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
If I recall properly, it is not an option to have to get the septic inspected for operation upon sale of a house (unless it is going to be dozed)... it is the law. Let's call it "Title V".
It is true that the law requires the septic system be inspected (Title V) prior to the sale of the house and in several other circumstances. However, there are a few misconceptions in this thread which I am going to attempt to clear up:
  • A septic system inspection (Title V) is required prior to the transfer of property
  • Title V does not require the property to pass inspection in order to transfer title. However, good luck finding a lender which will loan you money on a house which did not pass. The exception being if you are taking out a construction loan and part of your construction plan is to address the system. It is, however, a requirement that failed septic systems are repaired within two years of the inspection.
  • The inpsection is not performed by any government entity (not your town, not your state). The inspection is performed by a private company. However, the company must be approved by the Mass DEP in order for the inspection to be valid.
The Mass DEP has a great FAQ section about septic and specifically Title V on their website here:

System Inspections and Property Transfers: Frequently Asked Questions | Water, Wastewater & Wetlands | MassDEP

Old 09-29-2012, 05:44 AM

57 posts, read 68,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatturkey View Post
I know this thread is kind of old at this point - but what is the story with garbage disposals? Some people tell me you can't use them and other people with septic systems swear they have and use a garbage disposal. Obviously, you would have to be mindful about what you can put down one with a septic system, but are they allowed?

As far as towns on the South Shore go, the poster who said that major towns would be eliminated was not kidding. In the South Shore the only towns I know of (along Route 3) that have town sewer are Braintree, Weymouth and part of Hingham (which we cannot afford anyways). And I believe there are a few towns not on Route 3 that have sewer, such as Abington and Whitman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts