Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2007, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 4,699 times

Advertisements

I've been offered a position in Falmouth and would be moving with my fiancee from Center City Philadelphia, which, we realize, would be a lifestyle change and we're ready to compromise.

But we were wondering what life is like on the Cape for professionals in their mid-30s getting ready to start family, etc. We love the the BYO restaurants, bookstores and coffeeshops of Philly, and wondered if it was possible to get at least a little of that on the Cape. Boston isn't that far, I know, but as two folks used to the hustle and bustle of the big city, will we go crazy?

Also, my fiancee is a pediatric physical therapist who does early intervention for infants to 3 - if anyone has any thoughts on job leads for her, it'd be appreciated. She's fantastic at her job and making her happy on the Cape is more important to me than my own situation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 01:29 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,980,768 times
I live right next door to Falmouth in Bourne. It will be an adjustment for you (I moved here from Boston) but there are plenty of restaurants and things to do. Contrary to what some may tell you, we don't roll up the sidewalks between October and May! The RE market in Falmouth is good for Buyers right now but you have to be careful. You can get more for your money in Bourne and not deal with all the Falmouth traffic. Falmouth Hospital is part of Cape Cod Health Care. Here's the link. Great Hospital and has "outposts" with PT in Bourne and Sandwich.
Here are a couple of links:
Cape Cod Healthcare
Cape Cod Young Professionals
Also, the Cape is a wonderful place to raise children. Both Falmouth and Bourne have very good school and rec programs. Both systems encourage parental involvement. My two are 13 and 16 and have been in the Bourne system since K and grade 1.
I've been here for 10 years now and periodically enjoy a trip off-Cape but I'm very happy here.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Old 03-27-2008, 11:30 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,596,937 times
I will agree with Cathy on this. I used to belong to Cape Cod Young Professional's and it is your best bet to meet other young professional's on the Cape. Overall, if you're raising a family it's great. If you were a single young professional I'd tell you "no way".

Old 03-27-2008, 01:51 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,001,661 times
I have to say while I don't live on cape I do live near the cape in Lakeville, MA (20 minutes to the bridges) and I visit the cape a LOT during off season. Personally speaking I think it's the best time to visit the cape. Less trafffic, more opportunity to enjoy the amenities the cape has without all the tourists. Falmouth has a great little downtown with lots of quaint shops and some really nice restaurants (roo bar is my favorite). Living on cape will be an adjustment for you especially coming from any city, you quicky adjust to the quietness and relaxed pace.

A coworker of mine lives on cape and loves it from October to May. good luck to you. capecodcathy, my house is for sale in lakeville if you know anyone interested (never realized you were in bourne). a girl's gotta try.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:55 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,596,937 times
The Roo Bar is a great place. Jeff the owner is not friendly at all but I like the ambiance there. From what I understand the Roo Bar in Hyannis is no longer around. That's too bad because that was the flagship. The ones in Chatham and Plymouth are also good. I have also heard they're opening one up in Hanover. Anyway, I do agree the Cape is great in the offseason. The one downfall is that a lot of places on the water close after Labor Day or Columbus Day. My favorites are the Thirsty Tuna, Spanky's, Trader Ed's, and Tugboats. I actually moved out of MA back in September so I'm going to miss the Cape in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts