Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 02:44 PM

10 posts, read 39,392 times

Advertisements

My significant other and I are currently living in Somerville, MA and eventually want to move somewhere and possibly raise a family. Ideally we'd love to be near the water and I just found a great beach in Nahant that allows dogs to roam free so, naturally, I am considering living there. Does anyone have any info on what it is like for young couples starting families in Nahant? What about the commute to Boston during rush hour? What's it like living near Lynn? Is it depressing in the winter or a nice kind of solitude?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 05:41 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,810,469 times
I highly suggest that you understand that it is nearly an island and the population is low. Due to this the high school is regionalized with swampscott

Old 08-11-2012, 09:47 AM

940 posts, read 1,935,567 times
Nahant is gorgeous, and there are lots of water views. It is also small and very desirable, and can be more pricey than nearby Swampscott and Marblehead, and properties come up rarely and go very fast, trust me, I looked.

If you like running, biking, walking, rollerblading or sunbathing, you would love it in Nahant.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:39 PM

Thank you for the replies! I do understand the population is very low and that there is only an elementary school in Nahant. I am OK with that I think, unless there are some downsides to that that I'm not considering. Do you know what it's like to be a resident? Is it a small gossipy/catty town or is it friendly and welcoming? I do love all those outdoor activities konfetka mentioned - which is why it's so attractive to me. I'm more of an outdoor person than a barfly. I'd love to live somewhere beautiful and unique near the water than a typical suburb like Newton or Wellesley (not like I can afford those anyway. My main concern is that most quick errands like grocery and pharmacy shopping would have to be done in Lynn which is not very appealing to me. My first impressions of Lynn are fairly negative, but maybe there's something I'm missing?

Old 08-13-2012, 12:23 PM

You can do all of your shopping in Swampscott, you don't have to worry about Lynn at all, and you never have to set your foot there, except for driving through it. My impression is it's friendly, because people are just happy to live there.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:05 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,253,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I highly suggest that you understand that it is nearly an island and the population is low. Due to this the high school is regionalized with swampscott
Also, real estate is not cheap out there in Nahant. The commute isn't the easiest, but it probably isn't the worst you could do to Boston either.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:58 PM

Thank you for the replies. I really appreciate all the tips! Are there any residents out there who can comment? Or anyone who knows a resident? I am curious about how it is during the winter. Coming from a city area, I am wondering if I will fee isolated (though right now that sounds really nice.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:45 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,996,444 times
Evita, I really do hate to be the killjoy here, but I wouldn't move to Nahant to raise a family. If all you're looking for is a place to let your dog run, it's fine. My personal favorite there (I grew up in Lynn) was Forty-Steps Beach. From what I gather, the forty steps have been updated and are more safe (and there are more steps!), but that was our "party place" when I was in high school. As Mdovell stated it's a very small population. Many of the homes are gated. Many residents like to keep a very low profile for a variety of reasons. It's a pretty reclusive place.
I don't recall there being much of a community there, especially for children. No town programs for kids. This may have changed, but with the small population, I doubt it. There probably aren't enough interested kids and parents there to make two soccer teams. Nahant kids didn't have a lot to do and couldn't wait to get out.
Yes, you can go to Swampscott to do your shopping. But why not live in Swampscott (or Marblehead). Both have the ocean and are more friendly, especially for families.
YMMV.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:56 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,812,516 times
There are both children's soccer and baseball teams in Nahant. The Nahant teams play in the same leagues as Swampscott. There are likely other sports, too. These are just two that I know of for certain.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:16 PM

My friend's kid goes to a free summer camp program there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts