Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 01:15 PM

23,073 posts, read 18,215,921 times

Advertisements

Apparently this baker is is getting heat for taking a stand by not accepting EBT payment for her pies. Kudos to her for putting principle over profit and shame on the Braintree Farmers Market for their intolerance!

We need to support this lady along with Chic-Fil-a and Marylou's Coffee.

Baker feels heat for denying EBT users from buying her sweets - BostonHerald.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 01:27 PM

8,525 posts, read 13,900,415 times
What's going on with Mary Lou's Coffee? I went to one a few years ago and their coffee is delicious. I also used to work with one of the girls who was in one of their first TV commercials.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
What's going on with Mary Lou's Coffee? I went to one a few years ago and their coffee is delicious. I also used to work with one of the girls who was in one of their first TV commercials.
Haven't heard anything recently, but apparently now if you want to do business you must hire grumpy overweight welfare-to-work cases.

Marylou’s hit with discrimination inquiry - BostonHerald.com

Old 08-15-2012, 01:57 PM

9,913 posts, read 15,474,273 times
Ever So Humble Pie Company, East Walpole, Massachusetts

I'll buy some of their pie. I hope they have peach!

Old 08-15-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Ever So Humble Pie Company, East Walpole, Massachusetts

I'll buy some of their pie. I hope they have peach!
I'm all over the Wild Blueberry and "Spumpkin", especially if Tangerini's sells them!

Old 08-15-2012, 02:46 PM

2,499 posts, read 4,396,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Apparently this baker is is getting heat for taking a stand by not accepting EBT payment for her pies. Kudos to her for putting principle over profit and shame on the Braintree Farmers Market for their intolerance!

Hardly the same thing as Chik-Fil-A. In fact it's not clear to me what she's complaining about. Is she saying that EBT users should not be allowed to buy pies? Or any sweets? Why not?

Sheesh, it's not cigarettes or liquor, it's a pie!

Old 08-15-2012, 03:20 PM

8,525 posts, read 13,900,415 times
Quote:
Haven't heard anything recently, but apparently now if you want to do business you must hire grumpy overweight welfare-to-work cases.

Marylou’s hit with discrimination inquiry - BostonHerald.com
The article doesn't quite put it like that . . . anyway, Hooter's hires attractive women only so why can't Mary Lou's? Strip clubs don't hire male dancers either. I would think in this case this would be considered reasonable discrimination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Hardly the same thing as Chik-Fil-A. In fact it's not clear to me what she's complaining about. Is she saying that EBT users should not be allowed to buy pies? Or any sweets? Why not?

I would agree. I don't think Chik-Fil-A ever said they wouldn't sell their product to gay people. It's a little bit of a different situation.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:27 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,893,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post

I think what she's saying is that in her opinion, EBT should be used for necessities. I like her way of thinking, and believe that government assistance should be 1) a last resort, not a lifestyle to be passed down to the next generation, and 2) limited to necessities. For the record, I'm a huge believer in WIC-type programs, that allow for healthy and nourishing food. Not the junk that I see in the overflowing carts at the local grocery store. Even up here in NH-abuse is everywhere, not limited to one state or another. And I don't believe that the overpriced items at convenience stores should be covered either, unless there is no grocery store within a reasonable distance...

I'm reaching back a few years, but when my grandparents needed help from the .gov, they got a box of USDA food: butter in 1 pound blocks, chicken in a can, and powdered milk. And they were pretty damn happy to have the assistance (but ashamed that they needed to ask for help). Amazing how much things have changed in only 30 or so years--now it's not only a lifestyle, but a lifestyle to be proud of. According to the kids who work at the grocery store, there is not the slightest hint of shame in using the EBT card. And if the cashier has the nerve to refuse to sell cigarettes or alcohol, there is attitude, threatening behavior and one young lady was even spit on a few weeks ago (no, you didn't read about this in the paper).

Old 08-15-2012, 03:44 PM

12,595 posts, read 21,740,051 times
Quote:

So this lady chooses to opt out because the farmers market accepts EBT cards so that people can buy fresh fruits and veggis and she's "getting heat?" Let her go, that's fine with me. Fresh fruits and veggis from a market are exactly what the EBT cards should be used for.

For those unclear, this is how it works... EBT card holders can use the card to buy "tokens" for use at the Market's vendors. One of those vendors included this lady selling pies. So yes, some EBT users can buy tokens and use them for pies. However, the pie stand is one of many in the market. Most of which sell fresh local produce. There's absolutely no problem here.

She chose to leave. She wasn't kicked out. Where's the so-called "intolerance" that we need to stand up against? It's a not for profit group that puts the market on. If she doesn't like their policies, she can leave (and she did). Even if they kicked her out (which they didn't), they're entitled to as well. She can open her own pie store and sell all the pies she wants without accepting EBT.

Welfare is FAR from perfect. It has a long way to go. EBT cards are horribly abused in this state. Horribly. However, if you have a problem with that (and I think most of us should), focus your efforts on welfare reform on the state level. "Supporting" some lady who chose to leave a farmers market on her own accord is ridiculous.

Quote:

Baker feels heat for denying EBT users from buying her sweets - BostonHerald.com
Now you're just trolling. Really? Chick-fil-A again? You had no reasonable argument in the previous Chick-Fil-A thread so you're going to bring it up again here? In a nutshell... Company who openly opposes same sex marriage wants to locate in the capital city of a state that legally allows same sex marriage. The mayor comes out in defense of the legal rights of his constituents (which again, the company would like to take away) while adhering to the legal rights of the company and there's a problem? I don't think so.

Like the welfare reform, you're barking up the wrong tree. If you have an issue with same-sex marriage, focus on that. The mayor's stance on chick-fil-a was perfectly legal, and moreover, acceptable given the fact that the company funds groups that would like to take away legal rights of MA residents.

Marylou's- I'm right there with you. If they want to hire attractive women, go for it. The investigation is ridiculous. The appearance of a person in a retail position can positively or adversely impact sales and overall business. Thousands of businesses hire for retail positions using looks as one of the criteria. They just don't announce that they do it. If looks didn't matter, then I should be able to show up for job interviews unshaven and wearing sweatpants.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:03 PM

2,499 posts, read 4,396,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
I think what she's saying is that in her opinion, EBT should be used for necessities. I like her way of thinking, and believe that government assistance should be 1) a last resort, not a lifestyle to be passed down to the next generation, and 2) limited to necessities. For the record, I'm a huge believer in WIC-type programs, that allow for healthy and nourishing food. Not the junk that I see in the overflowing carts at the local grocery store.
Maybe the "junk" is being paid for with cash, and EBT is used for the staples? People that use EBT still have some cash.

Quote:
Even up here in NH-abuse is everywhere, not limited to one state or another. And I don't believe that the overpriced items at convenience stores should be covered either, unless there is no grocery store within a reasonable distance...
What "abuse" are you seeing?

Quote:
I'm reaching back a few years, but when my grandparents needed help from the .gov, they got a box of USDA food: butter in 1 pound blocks, chicken in a can, and powdered milk.
And I'm sure that back then their was someone complaining about "why are we giving these poor people real butter, when I have to use oleo?" Or "why are we giving them chicken, when they can live off vegetables and bread?"
If we were only giving them bread and water, one person would complain that we're giving them fattening bread carbs, another would complain that they're getting free bottled water.

Quote:
And they were pretty damn happy to have the assistance (but ashamed that they needed to ask for help). Amazing how much things have changed in only 30 or so years--now it's not only a lifestyle, but a lifestyle to be proud of. According to the kids who work at the grocery store, there is not the slightest hint of shame in using the EBT card. And if the cashier has the nerve to refuse to sell cigarettes or alcohol, there is attitude, threatening behavior and one young lady was even spit on a few weeks ago (no, you didn't read about this in the paper).
I'm not going to defend that behavior. But I will say that if someone is spit-upon, the police should be called and an arrest made because that's an assault. And if cursing and threatening is happening, they should be removed from the store by security, and told never to return. Did these things happen? Or was this another apocryphal tale?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts