U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-31-2012, 03:36 PM

130 posts, read 27,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
What's your point?

It's already been touched on that Boston has a more stable economy than most places (lower unemployment than both Ohio and Pennsylvania- the latter of which is almost two points higher than MA). Crime in Massachusetts is really very low given the population density (compare crime rates in Boston to Philadelphia, Cleveland, or Pittsburgh- it's quite a bit safer). We have, overall, close to the best (if not THE best) healthcare in the world. We have some of the best colleges and universities in the world. Our public schools are very good. And naturally our state and the entire New England region is very pretty. We have a real coastline. Parts of PA are close to the coast but there's no coastline. Ohio has the lake shore, but it's not even close to the same (and certainly not on par with Michigan's lake shore). Oh, and traffic isn't NEARLY as bad as many other metro areas in the country and the metro Boston area has a public transit network that's exceeded only by New York, Chicago and Washington DC.

So in short:
-Good, stable economy
-safe
-excellent healthcare
-good education (from kindergarten to post graduate education)
-outstanding natural scenery

As far as population density goes, 800/sq. mile isn't exactly "bursting at the seams." Boston, for example, has a population density of around 12,750 people per square mile and there's room for quite a bit more (Boston had over 800,000 people at one point and is down to about 617,000). Moreover, population density for an entire state doesn't take into account the fact that parts of the state are a higher density than others. The Eastern 1/3 of the state has a far higher population (and population density) than the Western part of the state. The majority of the land in the western part of the state is as rural as what you'll find in any rural area save for the most extreme. Finally, not everyone want to live in the middle of nowhere. Many people enjoy living in higher density urban areas and suburbs. The vast majority of the country's population lives inside a metropolitan area (either in a city or in its suburbs). 800/sq mi. just isn't that dense. Milton, MA for example is a leafy suburban community and it has a population density that's more than double that (2,000/sq mi).

I know you've "been here," but I get the distinct impression from reading your posts that you have really no idea what you're talking about.
All of the attributes you mentioned, "good education", "good hospitals" can be found in almost any other region of the country. As for your assumption that I don't know what I'm talking about, I'm giving an objective assessment, based on what I see and know about the state. You're statements are nothing more than the generic cheerleading talking points I see others type regarding the so-called great attributes.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 04:07 PM

162 posts, read 118,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurb View Post
All of the attributes you mentioned, "good education", "good hospitals" can be found in almost any other region of the country. As for your assumption that I don't know what I'm talking about, I'm giving an objective assessment, based on what I see and know about the state. You're statements are nothing more than the generic cheerleading talking points I see others type regarding the so-called great attributes.
See you've hit upon an MA downside, M*******s love to toot their own horns about the state. The most obnoxious ones are the ones that have moved here from somewhere else "inferior" (naturally the south or mid-west, wherever the majority of people go to church and watch Nascar are). To me, this might be the most infuriating thing about the state, the attitudes you encounter here.

Of course, the "red state" caricature of the place is off base too. The answer lies in between.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:23 PM

2,265 posts, read 1,301,488 times
Quote:
Ah, yes, many times, actually. I probably know the state better than you. As for the other areas you mentioned with traffic such as Dallas, those areas have much more room to expand and add additional infrastructure.
You like urban sprawl? That only increases traffic and congestion. I doubt you know the state better than me. You didn't even realize Boston and the metro area is home to a massive tech sector.

Quote:
The economy is only well for those in a select few professions(healthcare and education, mainly). If you're in almost any other profession like trucking or accounting, you're no better off than you'd be elsewhere. In fact, you're probably worse off due to the high housing costs since housing makes up the largest chunk of any househould budget.

Only in towns where decent houses are at least $500,000, on up like Weston or Dover. If you live anywhere else, particularly on the South Shore, the public schools are absolute crap.
You must be coming in here and trying to just spout out complete fallacies about this state.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:29 PM

938 posts, read 669,696 times
Boston's many colleges and Universities
The general interest in massachusetts
Cape Cod
Close to other major cities
Companies in Boston

Old 08-31-2012, 04:57 PM

65 posts, read 50,590 times
Pretty sure most people move here for the sex, drugs, and rock and roll.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:49 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,985,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Tolkienish Figure View Post
See you've hit upon an MA downside, M*******s love to toot their own horns about the state. The most obnoxious ones are the ones that have moved here from somewhere else "inferior" (naturally the south or mid-west, wherever the majority of people go to church and watch Nascar are). To me, this might be the most infuriating thing about the state, the attitudes you encounter here.

Of course, the "red state" caricature of the place is off base too. The answer lies in between.
MA is a blue state....very blue.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:13 PM

130 posts, read 27,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
You like urban sprawl? That only increases traffic and congestion. I doubt you know the state better than me. You didn't even realize Boston and the metro area is home to a massive tech sector.

You must be coming in here and trying to just spout out complete fallacies about this state.
What "fallacies" are you talking about? Everything I said was true. You sound like one of those transplants who moved there and thinks she knows more than the natives who grew up there.

Oh, and the massive tech sector It's called the 128 belt. While significant by New England standards, it doesn't compare to Silicone Valley.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:34 PM

64 posts, read 115,535 times
My husband and I moved to Massachusetts four years ago, mainly because my health premiums were half of what they would've been in New York State where we formerly lived. (A relative who lives six months in FL and six months in MA went from paying $1000 a month in health insurance premiums in Florida and $450 a month in MA--in the same health care network! MA went from having the highest premiums in the nation to #9. Way to go, MA!)

Secondarily, you get value for the high taxes. The state is in the top five, usually in the top one or two, in the things I value: education, health care, social stability (very low divorce rate, very low teen pregnancy rate,) low crime, preservation of the environment. We have an incredible number of beautiful forests and conservation areas within a few miles of my western Massachusetts location. While the winter is too long, the four springtimes, summers, and three autumns we've spent here have been breathtaking.

I don't find that Mass citizens brag at all. If they did, no one would have to ask why people move here. I recently had work done on a place we bought, and I had some of the most interesting conversations ever with the workers I was fortunate enough to find. They were literate, insightful about all kinds of subjects, really skilled, honest, incredibly hard working, took pride in their work, and worked their butts off. Where did they all come from? Massachusetts born, bred, and educated. They groused plenty about the taxes they pay--they're were self employed, but I said to them: "You should be proud of your state, your education, as well as your families, for helping turn out men like you." And don't get me going on the clams, the ice cream, the corn. It's a fabulous state, and since I'm not a native, I'll brag for everyone else. Hope that answers your question.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:44 PM
miu

12,680 posts, read 20,806,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
MA is a blue state....very blue.
Not really. While we aren't a "red state", I think that most here consider themselves Independents... after all, we've had several Republican governors (Weld and Romney) in my lifetime. We vote for whoever we think will do the job best. And many are very happy with Scott Brown, and he's a Republican.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:46 PM
miu

12,680 posts, read 20,806,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browsing Duo View Post
And don't get me going on the clams, the ice cream, the corn. It's a fabulous state, and since I'm not a native, I'll brag for everyone else. Hope that answers your question.
You left out LOBSTERS!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts