Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 08:01 AM

940 posts, read 1,936,070 times

Advertisements

Another reason is walking distance to public transport.

I don't know, can you discriminate against yourself?

So you expect new immigrants to arrive proficient in English and with applicable education and job experience and to think otherwise is discrimination. But then you stereotype by insisting that immigrant neighborhoods have higher crime, since you disagree with the quote taken from a movie about that neighborhood.

Your lack of understanding of the struggles that immigrants have to endure is understandable. May be I can enlighten you if you have any more questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 09:42 AM

270 posts, read 468,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by konfetka View Post
Another reason is walking distance to public transport.

I don't know, can you discriminate against yourself?

So you expect new immigrants to arrive proficient in English and with applicable education and job experience and to think otherwise is discrimination. But then you stereotype by insisting that immigrant neighborhoods have higher crime, since you disagree with the quote taken from a movie about that neighborhood.

Your lack of understanding of the struggles that immigrants have to endure is understandable. May be I can enlighten you if you have any more questions.
I've never said immigrant neighborhood has higher crime. I was asking you why you are discriminating those people. You are the one who look down on those Dominicans and Puerto Ricans and suggested people are scare of them sitting outside when the weather is warm (see below). Please stop lying again! I find it interesting how one believes everything from movies.

Originally Posted by*konfetka*East of Lafayette street, south of Peabody st (including) and north of Chase (including), bordering on the ocean to the east.The Point has more of a perceived bad rep in town, than it is in reality. There are a lot of old brick apartment buildings, where French-Canadian immigrants used to live. Because these are the oldest, smallest and most affordable apartments in town, they have attracted mostly recent Dominican and Puertorican immigrants. There are some ethnic stores and restaurants in the area, and what scares most people about it, is that when it's warm out, you will see people hanging out on the street - kids playing and people sitting on the steps of their houses etc., like what they are used to doing in their native countries. Otherwise it's pretty harmless, and according to Salem police, the neighborhood is no more dangerous then other areas of Salem.*

Old 04-08-2013, 04:21 PM

1 posts, read 657 times
Quote:
East of Lafayette street, south of Peabody st (including) and north of Chase (including), bordering on the ocean to the east.

The Point has more of a perceived bad rep in town, than it is in reality. There are a lot of old brick apartment buildings, where French-Canadian immigrants used to live. Because these are the oldest, smallest and most affordable apartments in town, they have attracted mostly recent Dominican and Puertorican immigrants. There are some ethnic stores and restaurants in the area, and what scares most people about it, is that when it's warm out, you will see people hanging out on the street - kids playing and people sitting on the steps of their houses etc., like what they are used to doing in their native countries. Otherwise it's pretty harmless, and according to Salem police, the neighborhood is no more dangerous then other areas of Salem.

I drive through it occasionally, because it's a good shortcut to avoid the traffic in downtown Salem, and there is nothing scary about it.

Please watch what you are saying here, some people might be offended because you are mentioning about a specific group of people. Its normal for your kids to play outside of the house but scary for these immigrants to do the same?

Old 04-08-2013, 05:31 PM

270 posts, read 468,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david90210 View Post
Please watch what you are saying here, some people might be offended because you are mentioning about a specific group of people. Its normal for your kids to play outside of the house but scary for these immigrants to do the same?
Thank you very much. You have made a great point! Reputation point provided for speaking up the truth.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:35 PM

79 posts, read 226,573 times
Quote:
I agree, it is sad.

In some other less developed countries it is still like that, and especially people from these developing Latin-american countries have very close-knit communities. May be it has to do with the fact that they are used to live close to other people and their relatives, and if they had a problem they couldn't just move away and had to work it out.

I grew up in an apartment building in Eastern Europe and most of my friends lived in the same building, and I spend most of the day playing outside, coming home just for meals.

Fortunately, I live on a dead end street now with lots of kids, and my kids are always outside, playing with other kids and riding their bikes and playing cops-and-robbers and hide-and-seek all over the street, which is why it was so important to me to find a dead end street, so that they could do that. Although there are some kids on the street, that don't come out, and either play video games all day or play by themselves in their backyards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by david90210 View Post
Nice catch! Sounds like double standard to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts