U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 12:27 PM

458 posts, read 1,582,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeheart View Post
Hi, I'm thinking of a move to Boston in about a year. I live in San Antonio, TX currently and can no longer tolerate the ragweed season here. Originally from Detroit, I would go back there, if there was anything to go back to. Anyway, I don't have a lot of money, but that never stopped me. I would love to find a neighborhood like my old Detroit neighborhood (maybe I'm dreaming) but it would have; 2-family flats, or brownstones, homeowners with a small apartment to rent me and my little dog; ethnically integrated, with a lot of pedestrian traffic, and plenty of shops, corner stores, pizzerias and restaurants around. A good park would be nice too! Relatively safe, I like to walk at night and being female it's tough to find a place where you feel safe, unless there's plenty of people out and about. I haven't lived in a "real neighborhood" since I left Detroit, but I remember it was nice to feel like the neighbors watched out for each other. Is this a fantasy, or does such a neighborhood exist?
I think if you're not looking to actually live IN Boston, then you should also consider Worcester. We live in the Airport Hill (off of Goddard Memorial Drive) section--nice middle class housing and reasonably priced (low 200s). We know our neighbors, and they know us... Safe, clean, lots of families, plenty of diversity, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 09:11 PM

5 posts, read 21,256 times
Thanks kittenspurr for the first hand allergy information. I'm disappointed to find that I can't really rely on the weather website for accurate information, but I guess nothing is that easy. I'll take it all into consideration. When I lived in Corpus Christi I had no allergy problems, so I thought finding a place by the coast would be best. I've heard some nice things about Boston, so I thought why not?!

Old 10-10-2007, 09:45 AM

9,807 posts, read 12,924,307 times
I'd suggest that Brighton/Allston and other heavily student neighborhoods are pretty awful places to live unless you're one of the students. Very transient population, not much of a neighborhood feel, overpriced crappy apartments.
I can't really think of a neighborhood (or area or anything) that isn't awfully expensive, especially if coming from San Antonio. And renting with a dog, even a small one, can be very difficult. I wish you well, as it sounds like you want a really neat way of life for you and the pooch, but it's a hard thing to find.
Consider the more working-class areas of Watertown and even Brookline- Brookline is marvelous, but finding an affordable place could be very tough.
Oh, how about East Arlington, or Arlington in general? Very peaceful/low crime, easy access to both highways and Cambridge/Boston via public (or walking!) and I do see a lot of people out walking their dogs!
Good luck. Life with dawgz is so worth it. (I have five...)

Old 11-09-2007, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 899 times
Default Jp

I'd like to make a pitch for Jamaica Plain. It's a neighborhood in Boston proper. It's very mixed and there are all kinds of cool shops and things to do. You should definitely check it out. I've lived all over the city (Roslindale, Cambridge, Somerville, Allston/Brighton, Dorchester) and in my opinion, JP is the best neighborhood. You should check it out. Mike

Last edited by hepcat13; 11-09-2007 at 08:26 AM..

Old 11-09-2007, 04:05 PM

4 posts, read 9,120 times
I know a couple who, after going through some housing trouble in Chelsea, MA, found a great, spacious 3 bedroom apt in Dorchester for not too much of an expense-- seeing as how they are expecting a baby. They live aross the street from a clean park, and about 5 minutes from public transportation centers... The area is ethnically diveresed from what I can tell (this couple actually moved there because they had trouble finding housing as an interracial couple).

So... you may hear people knock Dorchester, but I say look into it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts