U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 06:06 PM

968 posts, read 1,111,463 times
Default Vehicle Inspection - ABS Light On

Car/Truck Inspection.

If just the ABS light is on dash and no other check engine lights are on.
For some cars/trucks there is a dedicated light in instrument panel for the ABS braking system.

If only the ABS light is on and no other lights in dash are on, will vehicle pass Massachusetts inspection?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 06:39 PM

160 posts, read 417,975 times
No.

Have you checked the level in the reservoir? What is the year/MFG/Model vehicle that has the problem? I doubt it is a fuse, but check them anyway. If it is a fuse you typically will not be able to take the vehicle out of Park if it is an Automatic.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:00 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,001,694 times
When the ABS light comes on it could be anything including the brakes system and any kind of traction control that uses the brakes to stabilise the car or control skids.
My wifes Foreunner had the light come on and I dreaded the worse with a possible bad sensor in the ABS but it turned out to be the brake pads needed replacement.
Since the ABS is a safety item I doubt you will get a sticker come inspection time. Best to get it fixed.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:12 PM

160 posts, read 417,975 times
Believe it or not, it could also be something to do with your cruise control.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:35 PM

What about just unplugging the ABS?

Old 10-09-2012, 06:28 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,810,376 times
actually mine has the ABS light on also and passed last 2 times. As long as the brakes work, it'd be fine. Even when ABS doesn't work, the regular brakes (Disc for mine) should still work just like older cars that didn't come with ABS.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:42 AM

69 posts, read 78,978 times
should not an issue in terms of passing. ABS is not a requirement as many older cars on the road do not have them. I had an abs and an airbag light on for about two years and had no issue passing. As long as it is not the check engine light which is usually emissions related you should be okay.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:45 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,001,694 times
HMMM it was always my understanding that if the car came equipped with it that it had to be in working order such as the ABS. Having the light on tells me something isn't working. Sounds like you could give it a go and cross your fingers at the inspection station but in the long run you should have it fixed because ultimately it is a safety feature designed into your cars system and it could lead to more problems for you down the road.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:06 PM

Mine was a specific question not a safety question.
Will the car pass if ABS light is on? Or even if the ABS is disconected?

From the responses above, it seems that yes it will pass as this is not a requirement at this time. Thanks to those who have responded.

Granted all should drive with safety in mind all the time. Granted, if car has ABS and not working it should be fixed.

From my limited knowledge some cars have a generic "Service Engine Soon" light that may cover many issues. While other cars have real specific lights such as the ABS light.

For some the repair by some legit or not repairs places can have a cost of up to $1,800 to repair the ABS. Some repair places will just replace every ABS module known. Needed or not, sadly.

I was at a Chevrolet dealership awhile back and a 2 year old Silverado came in and the complaint was that the ABS light was on. I listened as the service person stated that the componets on the wheels/brakes can create a little surface rust. And that a little soft sandpaper will clear things up. Which it did. No replacing of anything. But, the truck was still under warranty and this or any dealer would have to prove that there were actual defective parts.

Those of us who own older vehicles are at the mercy of the repair facility that we visit. Most are honest, but sadly some are not. Too many take advantage of those with older vehicles.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:01 PM

14,342 posts, read 3,390,944 times
Massachusetts RMV - Inspections FAQs

A ABS light is no problem.
Mine has passed 4 yrs now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts