Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2012, 11:56 AM

55 posts, read 139,267 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

It has been a year since I have moved to Newton (nonatum area) and am currently renting a two bedroom apt.. I am planning to buy next year and am looking at possibilities to buy in the Waltham neighborhood as most 3 br 2ba houses I see fit in my budget(450K) . My wife works in heart of Downtown so public commute is a bit impt.... and I travel due to work and have customers north and south of the city and also in the entire North east. When I look at real estate maps.. there is the bentley section, bleacherry section,warrendale section, the highlands and others of waltham and some of the sections of west watertown that seems to be ok, but not as great as compared to Newton. Since we do not have kids yet, school system is not the focus of us, safety and other factors are impt. I was wondering if people could share their opinions and also suggest other places I should look at...

Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 09:58 PM

643 posts, read 1,032,947 times
My partner is currently living in Waltham near Bank Square and he likes it. It is very walkable and has convenient access to lot of shops and other amenities. It's nice having the commuter rail but I think we will end up moving some place that is closer to a T stop. If you only need to go into downtown for work then the rail will probably be sufficient.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:36 AM

404 posts, read 822,499 times
I live in Waltham highlands. I would (and did) choose Waltham over Watertown and have commuted downtown from Waltham for years. While Watertown has bus transport, Waltham has rail and bus/express transport.

If you are looking for a single family I would definitely consider schools even if you do not plan on having your children for a while. If you choose a home that is zoned to a severely underperforming elementary it will be less advantageous when you go to sell.

I would drive around both places and see how it feels to you. We wanted well-treed and more suburban single family with easy commuting which lead us to Waltham rather than Watertown. In Watertown we felt that it had more of that Somerville/Cambridge density that we wanted to avoid (city density without city amenities). However, others may prefer that density. Of course I am sure that there are parts of Watertown that are lovely, we just found a house we loved in Waltham however.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:14 AM

55 posts, read 139,267 times
Sofresh thanks for the opinion. I am leaning to waltham for the exact same reasons you have mentioned when it comes to suburban family feel versus density, but parts of west watertown towards the waltham border are good too... my wife and i really liked the highlands area though... we went there for an open house and loved the area....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts