Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2012, 05:35 AM

1 posts, read 3,284 times

Advertisements

Just moved to the area and was wondering what the names of all the neighborhood in Wayland are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 10:29 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone give a name to any neighborhood in Wayland. I have heard people refer to North Wayland but that's about it.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:35 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,452,595 times
I was always under the impression that you had Cochituate and then everything else.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:49 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
Yeah, as far as I know, Cochituate is the only area with an actual name, rather than a compass point reference like north side or north Wayland.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:12 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
Wayland doesn't really have any developed neighborhoods which results in a lack of names. You won't find names like "Pond View Estates" in Wayland. It's an old suburb which hasn't seen significant development in decades. A lot of people identify their neighborhood by a particular street in the neighborhood. Often that's the street you enter on. There are a couple of decent size condo developments off of Rice Rd that have names like "Mainstone Farms" and "The Fields at Mainstone."

Old 10-19-2012, 07:25 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,452,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
A lot of people identify their neighborhood by a particular street in the neighborhood.
There is definitely precedent for this, like the Bow Road Historic District.

In Concord, neighborhoods were usually named for individuals involved in their early development - Damondale, Warnersville, Conantum - or geographic/manmade features - Nashawtuc, Concord Junction - but rarely for streets.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:42 AM

316 posts, read 723,900 times
Cochituate for sure - that is the village centered along Main Street between East/West Plain Streets and Commonwealth Road. It spreads around Lake Cochituate and Dudley Pond as well. Sometimes people refer to the Daymon Farms area by name; that is a small neighborhood off of Commonwealth Road and Oak Street, near Natick and Weston. There's also a bit of the Weston Estates that pokes into Wayland. Other than that, you have Wayland Center and North Wayland, but these, as others have mentioned, do not have clear boundaries. Some people refer to North Wayland as anything north of the town center; to others, you'd have to be closer to the Lincoln line.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:44 AM

316 posts, read 723,900 times
I also have heard a few old-school Cochituate folks refer to the Riverview Ave/Circle area near the Framingham and Sudbury lines as "Cardboard City" because of the flimsy nature of some of the older homes around there. I haven't been around there in a while, but I think the neighborhood has probably upgraded itself in recent years as housing prices have skyrocketed and people built bigger homes to replace old ones.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:20 PM

8 posts, read 16,220 times
I see wayland as having three neighborhoods

Cochituate:
The most densely populated place in wayland and a little less than half of waylands population lives there. Cochituate's houses have less land and most are smaller than the rest of wayland. It is in the south and has most of the stores in wayland like Mel's commonwealth cafe, The villa, Rite aid, Starbucks, Dominos, J.j. mckays, etc. It also has all of wayland's schools except Claypit Hill School. (Cochituate also has 3 churches, 1 office building, 2 nursing homes a temple and 6k people)

Central wayland:
Sort of a mix of North wayland and cochituate. The houses are of north wayland quality but with less land. Central wayland has The Wayland Town Center, CVS, Russels, and an office building for stores and businesses. It has Claypit Hill School and a church and a temple.

North wayland:
No stores and large houses with lots of land that are expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts