Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 08:17 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times

Advertisements

We've done the relocation thing. Here's another angle...

After moving from New England to St. Louis (rented for 7 months, then bought) then back to New England again after 5 or so years, I ALWAYS planned the moves for summer months. Less stress on the kids, I figure... Well, couple years after settling in New Hampshire, I am asked by one of the kids why we always moved in summer months. "Why, so that you won't have to move away during the school year, and can start fresh in the fall!" I reply. "Well", comes the retort "Did you ever stop to think that by being at school and not knowing anyone, I just blended in with everyone else. No introductions, no nothing, just starting in a new school where I didn't know anyone or anything.... It seems that when you're "the new kid" everyone wants to be friends with you, show you around the school, introduce you to their friends, find out all about you. When you're just the quiet one who doesn't know anyone that you're starting school with, it takes that much longer to make friends, ESPECIALLY if you're shy or reserved to begin with. Well... that's what I found out AFTER IT WAS ALL SAID AND DONE. And I'm NOT moving again just so that the kids can be "the new kid in school". Just some food for thought for you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 05:23 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,484,195 times
Actually, there were many articles saying the best time for family with kids to move is during the school year. This way the kid does not sit around all summer hoping to find friends to do stuff with. It gives them a chance to meet other kids and know them before everyone goes away for the summer.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:42 PM

130 posts, read 832,481 times
Hey everyone!

Thanks so much for your replies. As always, you all have been tremendous help!

Thanks again,
K

Old 10-12-2007, 12:57 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
How did it go?

Old 10-13-2007, 07:02 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
I agree with the school year thing. We moved to MA 10 years ago as my oldest was ready to start 1st grade. I wish we'd moved in Mar/Apr when my husband did rather than wait for him to finish the school year. Summer was tough!

Old 10-15-2007, 07:45 AM

130 posts, read 832,481 times
Default Out of the pan & into the fire...

Hi-

Don't know how it went b/c it's still ongoing. My husband's future boss said he'd check with HR about relocation and call back... and it's been 7 days!

In the meantime I've done all this research so we could make intelligent, supported arguments for what we need.

Problem is, my husband thinks my research (and what you guys have said on the forum) is for people making 250K or something and doesn't want to price himself out of getting the job b/c it'll be too expensive to move us... ( and to be fair, several of the articles ARE geared towards people further up the food chain, but still...)

I am really, really frustrated, b/c we can NOT afford this move if we have to pay all this stuff ourselves. We will be in credit card debt up to our eyeballs, (as opposed to only our necks now ) and for years, and I'm really concerned.

Plus, on the cost-of-living issue,

He doesn't believe me that his commute will be at least twice as long. 30 minutes now... and NO WAY can we afford to live that close in (wouldn't that be either Brookline or somewhere urban with lousy schools?) ' will be lucky to keep it to 60 minutes, most likely will be 90 minutes at least...

twice as expensive, (based on train and parking from areas where we can afford to live)

that our heating bills will be 6x as much... (among other sources, I read on here someone paid $400 for each oil fill, 3x a month and my husband says they probably live in a mansion...)

And that we'll probably end up increasing our mortgage payments by at least $1,000/month to live in a place SMALLER than where we are now... (he says we'll just live further out... but further than 60-90 minutes??)

They have thrown an initial salary offering at him that is 50% more than what he makes now, but sure looks to me like our expenses are going up by EASILY 50% or more, so.... it hasn't been very serene around here to put it mildly.

Don't want him to give this up b/c it is an AWESOME opportunity, but sure wish he wouldn't be so shy about this negotiation, either.

Wow, thanks for listening.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:52 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,484,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patapsco View Post
that our heating bills will be 6x as much... (among other sources, I read on here someone paid $400 for each oil fill, 3x a month and my husband says they probably live in a mansion...)
Your husband is probably correct... or the person turned his thermostat up to 90F or live in a house without insulations. Even with a fairly big house, most people use less than 1200 gallons a year (@$2.50-2.80/gallon). Granted... during the middle of winter... you may need to refill your oil tank every ~3 weeks.

In any case, you'll learn to turn down the heat (50-60F) when there is no one in the house or when you go to bed. You will learn quickly when you realized how expensive it could be.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:33 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patapsco View Post
They have thrown an initial salary offering at him that is 50% more than what he makes now, but sure looks to me like our expenses are going up by EASILY 50% or more, so.... it hasn't been very serene around here to put it mildly.

Don't want him to give this up b/c it is an AWESOME opportunity, but sure wish he wouldn't be so shy about this negotiation, either.

Wow, thanks for listening.
Sounds like us when we first moved here. Got an offer that was 50% higher than we earned in Atlanta, but our expenses ended up going up by more than 50% so we had to learn to live on less. Plus we initially moved out to Hudson which is 90+ min outside of Boston in rush hour b/c it was cheaper, newer, and nicer. Then we eventually moved closer to Boston (in Newton) and settled in the smallest crappiest apartment I've ever seen in my life (and I used to audit public housing developments in Atlanta). At least the town is much nicer -- I try to stay away from my apt as much as possible I forget where you said you were moving from, but good luck It's tricky to find the right place from out of state. I would seriously consider renting first so you don't end up somewhere that will make you miserable. Especially if you're staying at home. It could be hard making friends if you're at home w/the kids in a rural area out by I-495. Just something to consider.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:10 PM

630 posts, read 2,226,246 times
patapsco - just so you know my relocation package was not for a 250k job (I wish I made that much), it was for a 100k job. When I asked for the relocation package it took them sometime to look into this since they had never done it before. There ae certain gov't regulations that companies have to follow. It took almost 6 weeks for them to write up the package and get it approved. Worst case scenario is that they state they will only pay for certain things or up to a certain amount. Don't panic, if your husband hasn't heard back in a few days he should call them and ask where they stand on the relocation package issue. My pay was increased 23% ... I came from CA so the cost of living is pretty much the same. I don't think the gas or electricity will be that much more than I paid in CA. I found this apartment when I came out here for a house hunting trip and am very please with it. I live in Bedford and work in Lexington, so I have a short commute to work.

Be patient ... Good Luck to you and your family !!!

Old 10-15-2007, 02:34 PM

350 posts, read 1,090,373 times
I have considered relo opportunities a few times, and with each I was offered the position but declined. Each of these was for a middle management position in med-large companies. When I received the offer package, there was information in there detailing what would be covered. This is your baseline ... much of it is negotiable. For example, I easily negotiated that they would cover moving two cars.

Most companies work with professional relocation companies. He can inquire about this now. He will be assigned a relo coordinator who will be responsible for coordinating all of this for you.

These things are typically covered in most corporate relo packages for even middle-management positions.

Realtor costs
Closing costs both for selling and buying
All other costs associated with selling your house
Temporary housing (usually 90 days)
Cost of 1-2 house hunting trips (travel, meals, etc)
Moving, packing and unpacking all household goods
Moving at least one car (sometimes 2)
Discretionary costs -- Usually at least $5000 provided in cash to you for incidentals. (This is on top of any other sign-on bonus that he negotiates)
If you are separated for a time while he's there and your back home, many companies cover the cost of a weekend trip home every other week.

Note that more and more companies are not buying homes if they don't sell within 2-3 months, and even when they do, it is usually for a price that will make you cry. So consider this very carefully. If they do not, you should negotiate very hard for them to cover temporary housing so you are not paying for 2 mortgages.

You want to find out what they will cover as direct expenses, and what you cover that you will be reimbursed for. Reimbursements to you are usually "grossed up", since this is taxable income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts