Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 11:13 AM

12,595 posts, read 21,753,315 times

Advertisements

Glad to hear everyone is OK so far! We made it through pretty well. The house was fine and narrowly missed being flooded. My car, however, appears to be a casualty of the storm surge. It was parked at the bottom of the driveway since there are no trees there (and that was my biggest concern), but it was flooded with the ridiculously high storm surge. We'll see how that turns out when the appraiser gets here, but it doesn't look good. That being said, we lost power at around 8am yesterday and it came on by 8:30am. Never lost it after that. I'm grateful it wasn't as bad as it could have been. I am going to New York City tomorrow, so I'm interested to see the extent of the damage there in person.

The story of the HMS Bounty sinking off the coast of North Carolina is a really sad one and one that does have some Massachusetts ties. The ship was harbored in Fall River, MA as part of an educational venture from 1993-2001. It's been back a few times for visits including as recently as 2010. I was lucky enough to get down there and snap a few photos and meet with the Captain and some of the crew. Unfortunately, the Captain is still missing as of this morning.

Here's a shot of the Bounty in Fall River from 2010:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 12:55 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,170,912 times
Thumbs up Thanks for the post, pic & report I!

Glad to hear you are all Ok!

I saw a sad picture of a house in Cape Cod, it vanished....sad!!!

Irfox, thanks for the post, the nice picture.

What about "CASEY B" Have you all heard from her at all?

Anyway, I hope more people are able to report back.

Thanks for the updates,

Take good care of yourselves,

Hang in there!

Blessings to all,

COUNTRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Glad to hear everyone is OK so far! We made it through pretty well. The house was fine and narrowly missed being flooded. My car, however, appears to be a casualty of the storm surge. It was parked at the bottom of the driveway since there are no trees there (and that was my biggest concern), but it was flooded with the ridiculously high storm surge. We'll see how that turns out when the appraiser gets here, but it doesn't look good. That being said, we lost power at around 8am yesterday and it came on by 8:30am. Never lost it after that. I'm grateful it wasn't as bad as it could have been. I am going to New York City tomorrow, so I'm interested to see the extent of the damage there in person.

The story of the HMS Bounty sinking off the coast of North Carolina is a really sad one and one that does have some Massachusetts ties. The ship was harbored in Fall River, MA as part of an educational venture from 1993-2001. It's been back a few times for visits including as recently as 2010. I was lucky enough to get down there and snap a few photos and meet with the Captain and some of the crew. Unfortunately, the Captain is still missing as of this morning.

Here's a shot of the Bounty in Fall River from 2010:

Old 10-30-2012, 01:10 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,157,268 times
Oh so that's it?

One has to consume plenty of alcohol to make the hurricane/storm experience more pleasurable.

Glad to hear that you're all doing fine.

GOD Bless!

Old 10-30-2012, 01:24 PM

422 posts, read 1,467,809 times
Havent heard from capecodcathy or beachcomber too....l

Old 10-30-2012, 04:48 PM

2,201 posts, read 5,330,093 times
Glad to hear everyone is well! We took 7 teenagers out to bunch this morning while power was still out. Nothing like forced family fun! We just got power back and dipped into that vodka to celebrate! lol We walked down to the beach this afternoon. Erosion was minimal and it is a glorious stretch of sand for miles. Tree damage was minimal too. Prauying for those who are still without power and facing bad weather.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:02 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,850,434 times
On for just a short time tonight. Still no power. Have the generator running but have to shift around between which circuits and functions in the house can be run, as the generator won't run the whole house. Right now it's the computer's turn, so I'm in for just a bit until it needs to be shut down for the night. Hope everyone's doing okay.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:41 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,094,562 times
WTH happened down your way, bft??? Holy smokes! Get through Sandy and then tonight! Todd Gutner said it was a microburst and Wareham got the vertical line wind and rain! Yowza! Hope you and yours were not effected by that.

It poured and lightening here about three times. The first time around 5:30 I saw a flash of such bright/white light I thought there was a cruiser outside beaming the floodlight into my picture window and my eyes! A couple of seconds later I heard the crack. I just hate it when you hear that crack as soon as you see the lightening! That really scares me. Gutner said we all may have a couple more storms before the morning comes.

No booze left from last night, will have to take a couple of OTC sleepy pills and hopefuly sleep through the night.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:16 AM

2,201 posts, read 5,330,093 times
Yikes. Last night was just plain creepy. Sudden thunder, lightning, torrential rains and wind and then as quickly as it came, nothing. The news report said the system was moving at 50mph. I am not shocked to hear a microburst was suspected to have hit in Wareham.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:49 PM

422 posts, read 1,467,809 times
over here last night...it was crazy thunder, lightning, heavy rain and then the next minute....gone, zilch, done! too weird.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:45 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,850,434 times
Lost power here in Natick about 5:00PM Monday, and didn't get it back until a few minutes after 11:00 last night.

Went for a walk yesterday and looked around at some of the damage. Wires down in several locations. One intersection had a whole tangle of crisscrossing wires down, as far as two or three houses down both streets in every direction from the intersection. Yesterday afternoon when I walked past there, they had simply blocked off the streets, with no one even there working at that point, while I saw repair crews out at several other locations. NStar's websites says 2.5 percent of Natick's residents are still without power, and probably won't have it back until tomorrow night. I wonder whether this involved that whole tangle of wires at that one intersection.

Saw a large old tree fully uprooted. It was in a front yard, right next to the house, so it's fortunate that it had fallen in the other direction. An entire end of that house would almost certainly have been crushed if the tree had fallen in the opposite direction. Across the street from me, an entire side of the neighbors' stockade fence was torn free and knocked down.

It still seemed no worse than the occasional serious nor'easter I've experienced. Although, I did notice that when the wind wasn't gusting there was still a low, steady roar. When I saw the damage that had occurred around here and considered the fact that this was just the edge of the storm, with no power in the house and so no news updates on the tube, I could only imagine how bad it must have been down in NJ, NYC, and now I know it was as bad as I had figured. We got lucky here, to be only on the edge of the storm. Glad you all seem to have come through basically okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts