Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 11:42 AM

234 posts, read 1,269,763 times

Advertisements

you wrote,
I said that in anger, about hunting humans

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

the anti-hunting issue is about EMOTIONS - what I am saying is distance yourself and do some reasearch on the subject and see what the modern day hunter has done for game habitat and management. Benefits that we all enjoy, hunters and nature watchers allike. You will have you eyes opened.

If your still against it - fine, I am against a lot of things on the other side of the spectrum - but I used a reasoned approach to formulate my opinion, not unreasoned emotions.

Kudos to you on the other things you do -

I for one don't like the mass farming of animals that are done, ie chicken farms, veal farms, growth hormones in beef - and I researched it and when I eat meat it is from the organic farmer down the road. The animals are raised humanely, have a decent life and organic diet and are good for me. To me that would be a worthwhile endeavor that non-meat eating animal lovers should get behind. Raising animals more humanely. Like it or not - meat eating man is here to stay.

I just saying, think it out and don't try to slam something millions of us good hunters do because you let emotions get in the way.

<peace> <shake hands> <part ways>
Leggo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 11:45 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doghead View Post
Actually, not really! Right, the original question was how much hunting there is in Mass. and how much a part is it of the daily culture, the way it seems to be in Vermont and Maine.
I wouldn't say it's a large part of the culture here, certainly not in metro Boston. In the more rural parts of the state, perhaps. If you really want to do some research about where hunting is permitted, you can check this site:
MassWildlife - Home Page

Now fishing is another matter, it's very popular as you would expect with any coastal state. We LOVE our seafood here.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:08 PM

1,396 posts, read 3,440,520 times
Quote:
For example, the transfer of captive-bred deer and elk between states for the purpose of hunting is believed to have contributed to the epidemic spread of chronic wasting disease (CWD).
It is illegal to transfer captive-bred deer, elk across state lines! This quote from your lenghty post on page 1, is this in your own words or did you fail to add quotation marks to the whole post or parts of?

Current North American map updated 4/07

USGS National Wildlife Health Center - Map of Chronic Wasting Disease in North America (http://www.nwhc.usgs.gov/disease_information/chronic_wasting_disease/north_america_CWD_map.jsp - broken link)

Last edited by MinuteMan; 10-11-2007 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: clarified my post

Old 10-11-2007, 04:20 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,484 times
Thumbs up hunting

As much as I recall, most state and conservation land is open to hunting. This week in Maine, amoose volunteered to stand between me and a .308.

Since this is a hunting thread...
Attached Thumbnails
hunting in Mass.-scan0015.jpg  

Old 10-11-2007, 04:41 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
I foster animals from the shelter, I recycle, I volunteer at the shelter, I practice birth control, don't eat meat which pollutes the environment. I'm not rich. Why do you assume I don't do much? I do whatever I can. I said that in anger, about hunting humans. I don't own a gun, nor would I ever want to, darling.
I adopted three dogs from a shelter in TN. I've done special lengthy dog transports. I recycle. I practice birth control. I keep my old cars until they fall apart, and I make sure that they run clean, and the car I drive now gets 40+ miles to the gallon. I gave up part of my yard to turn into a section of meadow with wild flowers to encourage the butterflies to visit.

However I don't see a problem with eating meat or hunting wild animals legally as long as the kill is clean, the meat eaten or donated to a shelter. It is perfectly natural for homo sapiens to be omnivores. And our bodies need the creatine that meat provides and it can't be sourced from plants.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:57 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times
Quote:
Actually, not really! Right, the original question was how much hunting there is in Mass. and how much a part is it of the daily culture, the way it seems to be in Vermont and Maine.
You really should probably research the web for the state agency that deals with wildlife management/conservation. I am sure that not only will you be able to view maps of areas, but also know which seasons are involved and quite probably even know what the reported take for the prior seasons have been. I have lived in many areas of the country where hunting is very common and to be quite honest it seldom poses a problem to the public. I realize the rage now is to ban and prohibit anything and everything, but lets practice a little bit of all that progressive tolerance we keep hearing about. By the way, I don't hunt, never have. I just don't have any problems with people living their lives and engaging in lawful pursuits that they either find interesting or pleasurable.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:33 AM

100 posts, read 474,887 times
Doghead I won't get into name calling as you did, nor posting a bunch of ignorant nonsense as you did nor citing a bunch of uncitable "factoids" as you did just suffice to say your gross ignorance is showing. G'day

Old 10-12-2007, 06:31 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
dmyankee, if you find that your freezer isn't quite big enough to handle that moose, I know someone who would be willing to take any extra off your hands

Venison Stew in my pot today. Cage-free, cruelty-free, hormone-free. Doesn't get better than that...

Old 10-12-2007, 06:53 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
You're probably best off considering something close to the Boston area, and well away from anything resembling rural or even suburban living. The occasional deer or moose that somehow finds it's way into the city will be taken care of by the police and not by those fat hunters... I haven't seen any deer strapped to hoods in the city (people maybe, but not deer)

Don't consider NH either, we don't even have gun laws like Massachusetts to "protect" our citizens from themselves, so you never know WHO's going to be carrying, or when. Scary, isn't it

Quote:
I've been reading the posts on the Vermont site and a lot of people mention hunting, and seeing deer strapped to cars in front of convenience stores.
Are any areas in MA like that? Specifically, Amherst/Northamton, or the Cape? I know there is hunting allowed (or there used to be) at the National Seashore. Is this a prevalent site in parts of MA? I'd like to move to MA but don't want an area where hunting is so commonplace. Thanks.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:36 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,484 times
Talking Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
dmyankee, if you find that your freezer isn't quite big enough to handle that moose, I know someone who would be willing to take any extra off your hands

Venison Stew in my pot today. Cage-free, cruelty-free, hormone-free. Doesn't get better than that...
Why did I leave the People's Republik over 22 years ago?

Let me count the ways!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts