Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2012, 06:13 AM

13 posts, read 26,441 times

Advertisements

Hi, i'm looking at booking a cruise for my family and i am just wondering whether it is possible to go from boston to manhattan? i know it sounds a bit random but i'd love to stop of and let my kids see their grandma for a bit
any help will be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 06:27 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,004 times
Default Please clarify

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie21 View Post
Hi, i'm looking at booking a cruise for my family and i am just wondering whether it is possible to go from boston to manhattan? i know it sounds a bit random but i'd love to stop of and let my kids see their grandma for a bit
any help will be greatly appreciated
Are you looking for a cruise from Boston to Manhattan? Or are you looking to get from Boston to Manhattan for a cruise that you will then take from one of those two cities?

If it's the former, you could try this: Boston to New York City Cruise - Boston Harbor Cruises | Tall Ship Sailing Vacations - New England, Chesapeake Bay, Bahamas

I don't think more traditional cruise ships would run that route, but I'm not an expert on cruises.

If's it the latter, getting from Boston to Manhattan (or vice versa) is relatively easy by public transportation or private car. Certainly easier than a cruise. Bus is the cheapest, plane is the fastest, train is the least stressful.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:31 AM

yeah i know its easier to do it through public transport, but im booking a cruise soon and we are from england, but my mom lives mahattan and my brother lives in boston, i thought it could be nice to just visit them both for a surprise as we hardly get to see them :/
i could maybe just ask my brother to drive up to Manhattan for the day just to surprise my mom if i can't find a cruise that does this

Old 11-13-2012, 09:07 AM

12,848 posts, read 22,021,203 times
There are some cruises that do the Northeastern U.S. Princess Cruises has one that departs from Manhattan and stops in Boston as well as other great smaller port cities along the way (i.e. Newport, Bar Harbor, St. John, Halifax, etc). There's a 7 day one that covers much of New England and some of the Canadian Maritimes, and a 10 day cruise that covers all of those places plus Quebec City. If you can do the 10 day, it's worth it since Quebec City is a real gem.

Since you're from England, there may be additional visa issues for getting into Canada from the U.S. I'm sure it's not much, but it would be worth looking into.

Here's a link to the the Princess Itinerary.

Norwegian also has cruise that stops in both Boston and New York ("7-day Canada from New York.")

Royal Caribbean has a few (They Depart from Bayonne, NJ which is right next to Manhattan).

There may be others if you search, but those are the ones I know exist.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:08 AM

Yeah, i'm looking into the visa issue today, i've heard its not much it's around £20 i think, not too sure though?
Anyway, i've been on the phone with this company where i hope to book my cruise to america.
just awaiting conformation, but it's took ages just to find a cruise that goes to manhattan, but it turns out most people state it as new york and not manhattan, so that was annoying.
thanks for the advise.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:37 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Not to sound rude, but we still don't know what time of year you wish to take this cruise. It makes a difference because of the weather---ships can't go out of a port like Boston in the dead of winter. We have things like ice and snow and bitterly sub freezing cold to think about.

We do call it New York. It is a city within the state of New York, sometimes referred to as Manhattan. If it's taken ages to find a cruise that goes to New York, that could well be due to the climate we have over here if you're coming in winter. If it's winter, people want to go to a warm climate, not the northeast.

If you are coming in summer there will be more possibilities.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:33 AM

Yeah i do hope to come in the summer, probably around july or august time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts