Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 03:49 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,022,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmann-sherborn View Post
I'd second the vote for Newton if it's in your budget because you get a super easy commute & one of the top rated school systems in the state. You'd have a smaller home lot but it might be a good tradeoff. It really depends what type of community you prefer.
I would third the idea of Newton. The good news is that the part of Newton near Waltham is a bit more affordable than some other villages like Newton Center or Newton Highlands. Most of the suburbs with an easy commute into Boston have homes with smaller lots. It's just something as Bostonians we have learned to live with. Many people who relocate from across the country are shocked that we don't mind living on a 1/4 acre. Some people have a strong preference for a larger lot, but they have to endure a tougher commute. It's all about personal priorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
Actually if your kids are under 5, you really don't need to be fussy about schools for several years. You might as well choose a place that suits you for other reasons and be willing to move in the future. I'd consider an inner suburb like Waltham or Watertown, or maybe the cheap side of Belmont (if there is one, ha ha) or Newton if you can swing it (but why pay for that fabulously expensive high school when your kids are a decade from using it?) Somewhere that offers easy commuting for both of you. Remember the time you spend getting to work and home again is time you'll never be paid for.
I've never understood why anyone would say that schools aren't important if your kids aren't of school age. Especially out in the 'burbs the quality of the school system plays such a huge part in the value of your home and your ability to resell down the road. From a personal perspective, I wouldn't want to get settled in a particular town only to uproot myself a few years later because now my kids are of school age. I'd rather settle in a town for the long haul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 05:46 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I've never understood why anyone would say that schools aren't important if your kids aren't of school age. Especially out in the 'burbs the quality of the school system plays such a huge part in the value of your home and your ability to resell down the road. From a personal perspective, I wouldn't want to get settled in a particular town only to uproot myself a few years later because now my kids are of school age. I'd rather settle in a town for the long haul.
I think one idea is that being in the very top school district isn't really that important, especially for kids in elementary school. There's this undercurrent on these boards that not sending your kids to one of the top 10 schools in the state handicaps them for life and means you are failing them as a parent. Almost all the schools in Boston suburbs are pretty good and the parents are going to have much bigger influence then the school district.

As for the idea that schools play a huge part in the value of a home, that's true both buying and selling. Do good districts appreciate more then bad ones as a percentage of their price?

Old 11-19-2012, 02:48 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I think one idea is that being in the very top school district isn't really that important, especially for kids in elementary school. There's this undercurrent on these boards that not sending your kids to one of the top 10 schools in the state handicaps them for life and means you are failing them as a parent. Almost all the schools in Boston suburbs are pretty good and the parents are going to have much bigger influence then the school district.
I would agree that there is a large emphasis on being in "the best" school system not only on this board but also in society at large. I would agree with your statement that some people take it a bit too far or put a bit too much importance on it, but as a parent I would want my child to be in the best school system I can afford to put him in. I know he's not going to end up living in a box if he's not in the #1 school district, but I want him to have the best chance possible for success in life. Part of that is a good education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
As for the idea that schools play a huge part in the value of a home, that's true both buying and selling. Do good districts appreciate more then bad ones as a percentage of their price?
I would say so although it's difficult to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt because there are so many other factors at play. For instance, Wellesley has a great school system and home values have done very well there over the last five years. Sudbury also has a great school system, but values have suffered more there because the town is tough to commute from just to name one reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts