U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 09:22 PM

5,817 posts, read 15,136,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I think that Massachusetts is plenty tolerant about diversity. But what would be very uncomfortable for most people is to have a huge block of one particular different race, culture or religion moving into a neighborhood in a clump and trying to form a mini city of their home nation.
I suspect that this is especially true when this breaks up or threatens to break up an established community. It's not just that "someone different from me" is moving in, but that there is also the fear that all the old reliable features of a life that has always been a certain way may fall apart. That can be scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma19 View Post
What is surprising to me is the level of racism in Quincy against Asians, especially since Asians make up such a huge portion of the city population (something I didn't know until I moved here).
I think that maybe this should not be so surprising. In fact, it may actually be the explanation. The influx of a new demographic group threatens the established way of life of a longstanding community, or at least this is perceived as a real possibility.
Rate this post positively

Old 12-05-2012, 09:44 AM
miu

17,664 posts, read 38,276,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diskothek View Post
And geez, pennyone, I hope my Irish heritage and non-college educated mind doesn't drag down our city too much for you. You're quick to brush with a broad stroke.
pennyone isn't supported of an "irishtown" or "bluecollartown", but she'd rather be able to visit more exotic (to her) "asiantowns" and keep with her fantasy stereotype of clean, well educated hardworking Asians.

Quote:
"Their kids work hard; they hardly ever get in trouble, they take challenges in strides, and they want to go to college." Yeah, like no kid of Chinese descent ever turned into a thug/loser/minimum-wage earner, give me a break.
Well... I guess that pennyone has never spent any serious time in Boston's Chinatown. That place is definitely not as squeaky clean. They've always had issues with Chinese gangs, and there are still Asian gangs around today. In addition, there are private gambling clubs and not all Chinese and Asians strive for their kids to be college bound. Basically, when any immigrant decides to immerse themselves in a community of their own nationality and is not able to speak and read English well, they tend to get taken advantage of by thugs of their own background.

I also object to pennyone lumping all Asian nationalities into one stereotype of Asian cultural behaviour. Honestly, speaking from personal experience, of all the Asian nationalities (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Filipinos, Indian and Pakistani), I would say that the Japanese would fit pennyone's stereotype most perfectly. Next would be the Koreans. The Japanese and Koreans tend to keep their homes clean and will leave their shoes by the door and walk around inside in stocking feet. However, the Japanese and Koreans (that I've known) tend to smoke cigarettes, so that can offset their cleanliness factor. But if I were to take in tenants again, a Japanese tenant would always be my first preference for the timeliness of their rent payments, honouring the lease agreement to the letter, consideration towards their neighbors, and the lack of personal drama.

And I won't say which ones are sometimes referred to (by other Asians) as "Jungle Asians" for their lack of academic and cultural achievements within their home countries. But yes, no Asian person likes being stereotyped and grouped together with Asians of other nationalities. Historically, there have been frictions between all of the Asian countries. And I have a Korean manager who gets upset when others joke about one of the Chinese workers being her sister.

Again, it's a grave disservice to help and encourage to formation of these little ethnic communities where the recent immigrants can get by without learning to speak and read their new country's language. When you allow adult immigrants to get by without learning English well, they produce children who will also have poor English skills and need more help with their classes since their parents will be unable to help them with their homework. And that ends up costing the rest of us taxpayers more to educate their children. I firmly believe that no immigrant should be a financial burden to their new home country, a country that they freely chose to move to.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:04 PM

7,463 posts, read 6,686,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
When you allow adult immigrants to get by without learning English well, they produce children who will also have poor English skills and need more help with their classes since their parents will be unable to help them with their homework. And that ends up costing the rest of us taxpayers more to educate their children. I firmly believe that no immigrant should be a financial burden to their new home country, a country that they freely chose to move to.
That's actually a significant issue in the Springfield area. ESL is a pretty big field and I have a certificate for it if I ever wanted to go overseas and teach English. However I had no idea some of the demand domestically. The area also has some of the largest amounts of public level 4 schools (lowest).

I would also add that these days it can be harder to determine what someone can be. Certainly if someone writes down a language it can be a giveaway but colonalization and modern trends changed things. During the 1990's I went to France and a waiter in Paris thought me and some friends were German
I met a women before that was interested in me a bit and thought I was Jewish, I have an aquiline nose so I guess it fits. One of the thickests British accident I heard from from an Asian man from Hong Kong who constantly insisted he was not Chinese (this was pre 1997).

For example one bit I heard from some living in quincy is of people buying houses with all cash. Well banking insurance does not exist in all countries so it is natural that some would have a higher savings rate. I would argue that much of a "anti" anything sentiment is largely economic. Some are simply too lazy to find out why things are the way they are so they blame someone or something and any thing they perceive to be close to it. Since we have a much higher rate of college graduates and the higher the education the higher the mobility it is natural that some would eventually leave the region. Having said this though I can see quincy center maybe developing into a mini cambridge if the new project goes well.

Southpark actually had a good episode on this about people out of the work in the future that actually go back in time to find work! It led to some sort of odd racism because they were more evolved.

Lastly on the comment about trash. I would not argue that it is about finances as Paris Hilton is white trash. I would say it is more of a mix of arrogance and ignorance more than anything else.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:49 PM

288 posts, read 594,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPI View Post
Just curious, what is the best area of the Boston metro for a Southeast Asian to move to?
Do you have a specific ethnic group in mind? There is a big Vietnamese community in Dorchester (Boston), MA. Some of the best Pho places are in Dorchester, and some of the squeakiest clean Vietnamese restaurants I've ever seen...and I've been to Little Saigon in CA.

Quote:
And I won't say which ones are sometimes referred to (by other Asians) as "Jungle Asians" for their lack of academic and cultural achievements within their home countries. But yes, no Asian person likes being stereotyped and grouped together with Asians of other nationalities. Historically, there have been frictions between all of the Asian countries.
Urgh. I hate that term "Jungle Asians". It's really offensive, especially if it's coming from a certain Korean American comedian, even if it was satire. Yeah, like the Koreans didn't get their countries bombed the *** out like Vietnam or get invaded by the Japanese (who just invaded everyone back in the day) or get their poor women treated as prostitutes. Sniff, so what if the Koreans have the most delicious tasting meats in the world. In Vietnam, we have the fish sauce and the um, tropical fruit desserts and French influenced cuisine...

As for the whole shoe in the house custom. I've seen some very Americanized Japanese Americans walk around the house in their street shoes. Whereas my Chinese and Vietnamese relatives are so obsessed about cleanliness that they even have "guest" slippers because they feel bad about making non-household members take off their shoes and walk around barefoot or with slippery socks. I know every time a repairman or cable guy walks through my apartment in their boots, a little part of my inner Asian mother freaks out inside.

Quote:
I would also add that these days it can be harder to determine what someone can be. Certainly if someone writes down a language it can be a giveaway but colonalization and modern trends changed things. During the 1990's I went to France and a waiter in Paris thought me and some friends were German
Haha. I went to Paris last summer, and we were shuffled to the backroom at a nice French restaurant. At first, we (Asian Americans) were confused and thought, "Oh, maybe they don't like Asian people sitting at the windows or maybe we looked too youngish." Then we started realizing that we understood all the conversations buzzing around us in the backroom, though they were all in different accents of English...we found ourselves amongst middle-aged Cantonese Hong Kong couple speaking with British accents; young, white Australians from a Contiki tour; British black professionals; and an entire midwestern American family....

It turns out the restaurant had put all the English-speakers into one room. And the patient, English-speaking French waiter seemed DELIGHTED to be serving us all. I'm guessing it's because most of us English speakers were in the habit of tipping waiters 15-20% which is higher than the norm.

Last edited by sharencare; 12-10-2012 at 01:16 PM..

Old 12-10-2012, 03:57 PM

2,390 posts, read 2,539,952 times
Quote:
What is surprising to me is the level of racism in Quincy against Asians, especially since Asians make up such a huge portion of the city population (something I didn't know until I moved here). Furthermore, when I'm in Boston itself (financial district, back bay, downtown areas) I feel pretty safe and accepted. I've also been to Cambridge to hang out a few times and I didn't feel any racial tension there either.

Anyway, those are my experiences, I just wanted to get that off my chest and am wondering if anybody else has seen or experienced anything like what I wrote about?
Perhaps, but it wasn't long ago Quincy was mostly all white. Now, imagine what happens when white people go to an Asian country, for instance, China or Japan. There would be considerable discrimination. Now, take it a step further, if white people kept immigrating in droves, displacing natives, taking jobs, etc. Those people would be treated a lot worse than you will ever be treated in this country. And in Asia there are no hate laws, or anti-discrimination laws.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:13 PM

73 posts, read 205,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Perhaps, but it wasn't long ago Quincy was mostly all white. Now, imagine what happens when white people go to an Asian country, for instance, China or Japan. There would be considerable discrimination. Now, take it a step further, if white people kept immigrating in droves, displacing natives, taking jobs, etc. Those people would be treated a lot worse than you will ever be treated in this country. And in Asia there are no hate laws, or anti-discrimination laws.
And your imaginary scenario is supposed to be some kind of justification how? Most Asian countries are racially homogenous. The US is a country of immigrants and multiple cultures. Not to mention that most white people who expatriate to Asian countries are usually treated like celebrities and sometimes better than the locals!

And you either missed or didn't bother to consider the part where I mentioned that I'm born and raised here buddy. I'm NOT an immigrant, I'm an American. So who's job did I steal, and whom did I displace?

Old 12-12-2012, 02:56 PM

2,390 posts, read 2,539,952 times
Quote:
And your imaginary scenario is supposed to be some kind of justification how? Most Asian countries are racially homogenous. The US is a country of immigrants and multiple cultures. Not to mention that most white people who expatriate to Asian countries are usually treated like celebrities and sometimes better than the locals!

And you either missed or didn't bother to consider the part where I mentioned that I'm born and raised here buddy. I'm NOT an immigrant, I'm an American. So who's job did I steal, and whom did I displace?
Buddy, if my scenario is so imaginary, why are you experiencing racism? And who really cares if you were born here?? You don't look any different from any other Asian. Sorry, but your image of America, is not the melting pot you, and some other politically correct people insist on believing in. This country was a former colony of England. As a matter of fact our entire culture came from England! Our judicial system, our legislative/government, our education and our democracy all came from England. And most other immigrants were almost exclusively Western European. It wasn't until LBJ abolished the National Origins act did we even allow a lot of non-Western Europeans into our country.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:43 PM

5,635 posts, read 4,573,956 times
I was trying to be polite and not argue against Miu's previous post against me for some imaginary "Asiatown". But it seems that 9162's comment above has really stole the show on this topic. While Miu browbeats new Chinese immigrants for wanting to move to Quincy in droves (for a variety of economic, social and cultural reasons), it seems that, even with Miu's "flawless" English and other brave and proud efforts at assimilation, someone like 9162 will still consider her like "any other Asian". So I guess 9162 thinks all Asians look the same, even those with "flawless English"! So much for all that hard work at assimilation!

Old 12-12-2012, 06:02 PM

643 posts, read 979,264 times
I was under the impression that there were plenty of people living here before the entire culture came from England.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:13 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,556,301 times
Can't we all just get along?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts