Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 12:31 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,196 times

Advertisements

I was recently reading on City-Data that there are 200,000 people who speak Portuguese living in the Boston area. That is a huge number, very few cities have numbers of foreign language speakers (English and Spanish aside) like that and I am very curious about it.

What is the history of this group and how did they come to Boston? Am I the only person who didn't know about this or is it relatively unknown outside of Boston? I'm also interested to know about any distinct neighborhoods where they concentrate and interesting community tidbits in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 12:43 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
I was recently reading on City-Data that there are 200,000 people who speak Portuguese living in the Boston area. That is a huge number, very few cities have numbers of foreign language speakers (English and Spanish aside) like that and I am very curious about it.

What is the history of this group and how did they come to Boston? Am I the only person who didn't know about this or is it relatively unknown outside of Boston? I'm also interested to know about any distinct neighborhoods where they concentrate and interesting community tidbits in general.
There are large swaths of Brazilians and Portuguese people in various parts of Eastern Mass. Anthony Bourdain actually came to visit Fall River during his No Reservations episode on the Azores.

The Fall River area, the Hudson/Milford area and Framingham all have populations of Portuguese speakers.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:58 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
Quote:

Two groups of obvious origin - Portuguese from Portugal and Brazilians. P's are the larger group having been in New England for much longer. The are fully Euro - not underclass in any way shape or form. But of course like any group who doesn't have English as their primary language, they face some career challenges just like we would if we went to Portugal. Aware of this, you won't find large groups of Portuguese in high priced areas. They tend to be frugal, practical, and non-pretentious - no $30K millionaires sporting rent-a-beamers. You will however see them growing grapes, making their own wine, and the young men keeping a hobby of rebuilding big block Camaros. They are a bit clanish and tend to group together. Given the history of Europe I would guess due to their geographical location in Europe they may have found they fared well taking advantage of their relative isolation and staying out of Europe's historical tribal wars. Skillful and creative, they played a large role in discovering the New World as is evidenced with their footprints in Brazil and other places. You find them largely in New Bedford, Fall River, and Taunton - mid-sized suburban satellite cities.

The Brazilians are a little different and I know less about them. There's a significant Brazilian population in Somerville. They may also populate the Portuguese cities as well, not sure though. Obviously living in Somerville, they prefer to be closer to the action. And that's not surprising given the lucid culture Brazil is know for. I'm not sure if these Brazilians are Brazilianaires or the unwashed masses or both. I'm also curious how they get on (or don't) with the Portuguese. Brazilians are known to be wild while Port are definitely modest. Anyways they have a modest representation in Somerville and sport big Brazilian Barbecue buffets. I knew a couple families. Both were pretty modest - surprisingly good fits in cerebral Bostonia - not exactly the Carnival types and definitely very blanco both. I often wondered why the hell Brazilians would ever come to someplace as uptight as Bostonia. One came from Sao Paulo and she described it as 10x as dangerous as the worst part of New York. I guess that could be the reason.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:13 PM

90 posts, read 178,017 times
New Bedford and some other towns along the south coast have many Portuguese and Cape Verdean folks. Really nice people, great food and music, very interesting, rich history and culture. There are Portuguese and Cape Verdean festivals during the summer on the south coast and in RI, definitely worth checking out.

Portuguese American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cape Verdean American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-03-2012, 10:50 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Quote:

What is the history of this group and how did they come to Boston?
Not Boston so much, but more the South Coast. The Portuguese are renowned as sailors and fishermen and the South Coast of Massachusetts was once the center of a wealth from whaling. Once the foothold was established, continued immigration followed.

An Immigration Phenomenon - Boston.com

Old 12-04-2012, 01:18 PM

940 posts, read 1,935,184 times
On the North Shore you will find them concentrated in Peabody (more Portuguese) and Everett, Malden (Brazilian)

Old 12-04-2012, 02:12 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,909,169 times
Most Portuguese in Massachusetts are from the Azores. There are a few groupings of Portuguese from the continent (Ludlow, Lowell, and Cambridge) but most are from the Azores.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Toronto also has a big Portuguese population with almost 300,000 in Ontario. Very few of us here in Seattle. I don't speak it any more and didn't that much anyway but my parents did.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:51 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
I was raised in Southeast Massachusetts in the Attleboro Taunton area which is Bristol County. Very high percentage of Portuguese residents in these communites. The highest concentration was and still is in nearby New Bedford and Fall River. As well as next door neighbor Rhode Island. Most are as mentioned from the Azores, or are descendents of those that came from there. Most of my friends in school were Portuguese, French Canadian or Irish when I was growing up. Seemed like most everyone's parent were either fisherman, factory workers/textile, jewelry workers. Bakers, Carpenters. The Portuguese have always been known as fisherman even to this day in New Bedford.

We have started to see just how dominant the Portuguese nationality has become in the state. The previous Portuguese immigrants were from Portugal/Azores. Now they come from Brazil and many have settled in the Natick Framingham area. My own family which is Irish now consist of Brazilian relatives. With my younger relatives marrying Brazilians. My parents that are deceased now, would probably flip to hear thier great grandchildren speaking portuguese.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:30 PM

6 posts, read 13,237 times
There's also a traditional Portugese population on Cape Cod in the Outer/Lower Cape, especially in P-town.

There's a good number of Brazilians increasingly on the northern parts of the South Shore as well. A good portion of the community are starting small businesses and there are a number of small churches that are holding services for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts