Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 08:53 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,635,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith14 View Post
I've heated with wood (cast iron stoves (November through May) and fireplace (in summer)) for over 50 years. You don't need a chimney cap. Adding a cap may create draft problems that can lead to hazardous conditions. Don't do it.
we had an off, to not create a draft problem! it was a flute on and off?
However, you don't need these guys in a house! Glad I moved, and real sure, when, big eyes, came down, and did glare at me! All the way down this bugger did come, until the Bichon sent him/her back! We had real cold, and a bad snow storm! What saved us the grate closure, we had a simple cap, which did blow off! Lights off, no heat, Big eyes, trying to enter, and a sweet Bichon, was in charge! Yes I had this also blocked up, but she saved the day
She just knew this, not me, and she bold as bold did go there, so maybe, big eyes did say, it is not a match! I also was real afraid! and had not a clue why a Bichon, was at the fire place?

Last edited by maggiekate; 03-31-2009 at 09:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 07:33 AM

53 posts, read 59,923 times
Default My chimney has net on the top without cap

My chimney has metal net on the top without cap. Therefore, animals cannot go into the chimney. When it rains, a little bit water can fall into the fireplace but the water in the fireplace can be absorbed by the bricks and dried out easily without accumulation, which can wash/clean my chimney from time to time.

So chimney cap is for preventing rain only for my chimney.
Advantage: drier chimney and fireplace.
Disadvantage: more dirt in chimney; danger if the cap is blown away and hit someone's head.

Do I need a chimney cap???

Old 12-07-2011, 07:56 AM

132 posts, read 543,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buicklimit View Post
Disadvantage: more dirt in chimney; danger if the cap is blown away and hit someone's head.
Do I need a chimney cap???
You probably don't need one if you don't care about the water coming in, but I think if it is secured correctly, there's not that much danger of it blowing away short of a major, major storm.

And sooner or later chimneys that are in use need to be cleaned, with or without the cap.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:58 AM

779 posts, read 869,003 times
We just had our chimneys swept and we asked the person doing it about a chimney cap. He said we have an internal cap, so an external chimney cap is not necessary. I'd probably just ask the chimney sweep next time you have your chimney cleaned.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 934 times
You should definitely have a chimney cap installed on your chimney. This will keep out unwanted wildlife such as raccoons, squirrels and birds and also help extend the life of your chimney flue by keeping out rain and snow. A full size cap (multi-flue) will give better protection than a "flue cap" but either is much better than no cap at all!

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-09-2014 at 12:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts