U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2007, 03:21 PM

21 posts, read 314,093 times

Advertisements

I have been told by someone if your chimney doesn't have a cap on, you might have all sorts of things, animals, debris etc. coming in to your house through the chimney, at least between the roof and the ceiling? Is this true? Do I need to install a chimney cap?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 12:52 AM

12,842 posts, read 24,468,229 times
My understanding is yes. Birds and squirrels and leaves and stuff can fall in.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:57 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,471,028 times
Not to mention the odd racoon.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:27 AM

67 posts, read 453,927 times
Well, you don't NEED one BUT it is a very good idea just for those purposes just mentioned....and also fire debris IF you use the fireplace to burn.
Mine cost me around $30. two yrs. ago. Very easy to install. Four screws and just snug them up against your existing clay stack sticking out (well, that's how it was with mine).
Good luck!

Old 10-20-2007, 09:29 AM

639 posts, read 3,187,942 times
YES definitely install one. You'll be SO happy you did! We didn't have one at first and a raccoon got in and had a baby there! We kept hearing them, moving around and all that, we could NOT figure out what it was for the longest time. We also have one of those gas fire logs, so one day after a little get together at the house we turned it on and we heard this God awful scream in there, so we turned it off (real quick!) and we still heard them up there. SO the next morning after this party we got a hold of the animal control officer in town and he came by and peeked down the chimney for us and told us "Well, it's not Santa Claus down there but you definitely got some company! I can see two eyes staring up at me right now!" He ended up putting a trap up on our roof and told us to make sure there was something secure up against the fireplace opening in the house. We found an old basketball backboard and put it up against the fireplace for the night with 2 cinder blocks, because he said if that raccoon ever got in to the house, we'd be up a creek without a paddle! My mother and I were basket cases that night, let me tell you! Early the next morning we heard this banging on the roof and sure enough it was the mother raccoon caught in the cage. The guy came back to the house that next day and was able to calm the raccoon down with a shot, then he retrieved the little one out of the fireplace from the house.

If I were you? I'd RUN not walk to Home Depot or Lowe's to get that chimney cap, you think I'm kidding do you? Guess again!

Old 03-31-2009, 09:09 AM

1 posts, read 34,555 times
Default Please protect your lives and homes-Hire a professional

Hi there,

Common caps from Home Depot and Lowes may or may not do what you are looking for, in fact, they could cause more problems down the line. What may work for one chimney most likely won't work for another. There are other concerns too! My contribution to this thread is to encourage any of you concerned about your chimney to contact a chimney sweep company that specializes in inspections. Face it, hot and harmful gases vent out of the flues inside a chimney. If you restrict the exit in any way, you endanger the inhabitants of the home as well as the physical property itself. Most of those Home Depot and Lowe's caps are aluminum or a low quality steel and are not the right size and don't stay on very well. Not a wise idea.

Before you buy one, look at some photos of what squirrels do to aluminum liners and caps! They eat them! We didn't believe it ourselves until we pulled our 4th aluminum liner out of a 3 family home in Boston, we were shocked! We hadn't been installing aluminum because of the fact that they fall apart so fast. Now that we've seen that rodents like the taste of it, we'll never install it. Half of the time these aluminum materials puncture or bend on install in such a way that renders it basically useless. (I have images of these liners, post back and request the "squirrels ate my chimney liner" images and I'll send you the link)

Find a company that has been in business for a while in your area.
Call and ask for references.
Check their website if they have one.
When you call is it an answering machine? or a professional answering service?
Are they licensed and insured to do business with you and do they carry the necessary certifications of their trade?
Are they concerned enough to ask you questions or do they pretend to know it all?

Chimneys are simple but that doesn't mean maintaining them is easy. Lowest doesn't equal best and vice versa. A reputable company will work with any serious inquiry regarding inspecting the inside and outside of your chimney with a camera for a competitive price. Don't hire a company who will sacrifice your safety just to get some work. Hire a professional please.

Kind regards,
billysweetchimneysweep

Old 03-31-2009, 02:30 PM

12,842 posts, read 24,468,229 times
I needed one in my beat-up former cottage. Squirrels were getting into the attic. (Didn't have a fireplace, but they loved the opening).

Old 03-31-2009, 07:18 PM

2 posts, read 36,523 times
I've heated with wood (cast iron stoves (November through May) and fireplace (in summer)) for over 50 years. You don't need a chimney cap. Adding a cap may create draft problems that can lead to hazardous conditions. Don't do it.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:28 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,045,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beijing66 View Post
I have been told by someone if your chimney doesn't have a cap on, you might have all sorts of things, animals, debris etc. coming in to your house through the chimney, at least between the roof and the ceiling? Is this true? Do I need to install a chimney cap?
That is real true, on Cape Cod we had no cover, and the racoon got there!
Not my home, but the stormy day I did move, BIG eyes! The Bichon saw that!
You also need a fence type for the fire place, that protects also! Frankly, We never did burn wood, just the logs they sell!
you don't need them in!

Old 03-31-2009, 07:39 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,045,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl52 View Post
YES definitely install one. You'll be SO happy you did! We didn't have one at first and a raccoon got in and had a baby there! We kept hearing them, moving around and all that, we could NOT figure out what it was for the longest time. We also have one of those gas fire logs, so one day after a little get together at the house we turned it on and we heard this God awful scream in there, so we turned it off (real quick!) and we still heard them up there. SO the next morning after this party we got a hold of the animal control officer in town and he came by and peeked down the chimney for us and told us "Well, it's not Santa Claus down there but you definitely got some company! I can see two eyes staring up at me right now!" He ended up putting a trap up on our roof and told us to make sure there was something secure up against the fireplace opening in the house. We found an old basketball backboard and put it up against the fireplace for the night with 2 cinder blocks, because he said if that raccoon ever got in to the house, we'd be up a creek without a paddle! My mother and I were basket cases that night, let me tell you! Early the next morning we heard this banging on the roof and sure enough it was the mother raccoon caught in the cage. The guy came back to the house that next day and was able to calm the raccoon down with a shot, then he retrieved the little one out of the fireplace from the house.

If I were you? I'd RUN not walk to Home Depot or Lowe's to get that chimney cap, you think I'm kidding do you? Guess again!
Same did happen with me, and if there are some wee ones, you may not get the cap! Besure you have the fire place with the fence-grate! When winter comes, they come down to the fire place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts