Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 11:36 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,058,310 times

Advertisements

I'm checking out a couple of places that are near the Quincy Adams Station. Some of the places pretty much have the tracks right in the backyard.

When I physically visit, I'll be sure to go when the train in entering or leaving the station, but I just wanted to get some ideas of how bad it is in terms of noise at night.

Do the Red Line trains use their horns at the stations? There's no street crossings right?

Old 12-14-2012, 01:16 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,218,934 times
I would not think just about noise, but pollution as well. If you ever had a kid(s), would you let them in the yard?
To me, such places are cheap for a good reason, and very poor resale.
You should ask town if they allowed to use horn. I think that they are.
I am not sure about street crossings in that area.
Anyone else knows better?

Old 12-14-2012, 01:32 PM

4,882 posts, read 13,750,571 times
Red Line train horns are rarely sounded unless the engineer wants people to move farther back on the platform before the train enters the station. This would be a non-issue outside of rush hours and when schools are dismissed. But the commuter rail uses parallel tracks, and those trains (though not much horn blowing would take place, if ever) are louder when they pass. And that's where pollution concerns would set in. Commuter rail operates under diesel power while the MBTA rapid transit lines are electrified. (Of course there's the worry about EMF's as well.)
All train service ends before 1 AM and doesn't begin much ahead of 6 AM, with later start times on weekends and holidays.
Passenger rail passes through all of Quincy without grade crossings.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:10 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,058,310 times
Thanks for the info. I wasn't really thinking of pollution, but I'll consider it now. I know the commuter rail uses large diesel generators, but I wonder if it's really any worse than living right next to a busy highway such as 93 (thousands of cars each day vs a couple of trains per hour).

Old 12-16-2012, 06:21 AM

374 posts, read 651,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
I'm checking out a couple of places that are near the Quincy Adams Station. Some of the places pretty much have the tracks right in the backyard.

When I physically visit, I'll be sure to go when the train in entering or leaving the station, but I just wanted to get some ideas of how bad it is in terms of noise at night.

Do the Red Line trains use their horns at the stations? There's no street crossings right?
The Red line horns are actually not as sharp as you might think. I am assuming that you are concerned with traditional train horns. The Red Line horns are only used within safety applications. You could also hear the traditional locomotive horns as they are are used for some general signaling to crew applications. You will not hear them blowing for crossings. You might hear them blow for a platform, but it is highly unlikely. Those horns are orientated for forward audio distribution.

At night you might be able to hear the horn as the locomotive pulls out of the siding near the Nep. River. bridge.

I would not think much of red line traction motor noise. You'll notice the displacement of air and the GP40MC's traction motors from the commuter line around 8-10PM. It is not disconcerting to me.

Bill

Old 12-16-2012, 09:07 AM

940 posts, read 1,927,093 times
We have train tracks at the end of our street about 6 houses away. It never bothered me, because it seemed to far away to be a concern. I usually rarely hear it during the day, because of all the other daytime noises, however at night the sound seems louder and it's the only time when I can hear it, and it actually woke me up a few times.

I could imagine not being able to fall asleep or being awakened by it as you are trying to fall asleep, that's why I would not want to live next to it.

But, on the other hand I am sure many people would tell you they get used to it and tune in out. It just depends on your personal tolerance level.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:13 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,824,346 times
Our last house had train tracks close enough we could see the train from the kitchen. My wife loved it when the horn was blown, but I hated it because when it came by, it rattled our whole house. Put me in the mind of the apartment where Dan Ackroyd lived in the movie Blues Brothers.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:23 AM

270 posts, read 465,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by konfetka View Post
We have train tracks at the end of our street about 6 houses away. It never bothered me, because it seemed to far away to be a concern. I usually rarely hear it during the day, because of all the other daytime noises, however at night the sound seems louder and it's the only time when I can hear it, and it actually woke me up a few times.

I could imagine not being able to fall asleep or being awakened by it as you are trying to fall asleep, that's why I would not want to live next to it.

But, on the other hand I am sure many people would tell you they get used to it and tune in out. It just depends on your personal tolerance level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
I would not think just about noise, but pollution as well. If you ever had a kid(s), would you let them in the yard?
Great point on the noise, pollution and the resale value kingeorge. At the end of the day you really get what you pay for. Reputation point provided!

Old 04-05-2013, 08:31 AM

270 posts, read 465,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
Thanks for the info. I wasn't really thinking of pollution, but I'll consider it now. I know the commuter rail uses large diesel generators, but I wonder if it's really any worse than living right next to a busy highway such as 93 (thousands of cars each day vs a couple of trains per hour).
Just hearing all the cars going over the train tracks and the constant brake squealing from slow down would drive me nuts. But some people would value good deals over their children's welfare. It all depends on your priorities and preference.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:41 AM

8,525 posts, read 13,904,246 times
Quote:
Don't red line trains run on electricity? What pollution would there be aside from noise pollution?

Quote:
Solid advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts