Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 10:38 AM

6 posts, read 10,362 times

Advertisements

Through the lens of the house hunt, a quick search of the MLS shows 32 active listings in Walpole, Foxboro, and Canton that meet your criteria. (<650k, 4+ bedrooms, 0.5+ acres)

19 of them are in Walpole, and the 5 largest homes (square footage-wise) are also in Walpole.

My opinion is that on the house-hunt side of things you'll have more of a selection of homes that meet your criteria in Walpole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 03:12 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin086 View Post
I have a few co-workers that live in Sharon and they say that the Jewish population is well over 50%! A far cry from 3%. Granted, that's only anecdotal evidence but I can't find any concrete numbers online. This thread actually says the Jewish population is more like 70% http://www.city-data.com/forum/massa...vs-sharon.html
I have no idea what percentage of the population in Sharon is Jewish. However, I wouldn't put much stock in the thread you've cited. I didn't see that the person who made the statement gave any source to back up their claim which makes me think they made up that number off the top of their head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Badertscher View Post
Through the lens of the house hunt, a quick search of the MLS shows 32 active listings in Walpole, Foxboro, and Canton that meet your criteria. (<650k, 4+ bedrooms, 0.5+ acres)

19 of them are in Walpole, and the 5 largest homes (square footage-wise) are also in Walpole.

My opinion is that on the house-hunt side of things you'll have more of a selection of homes that meet your criteria in Walpole.
Walpole is a nice town, but an abundance of choice in homes does not necessarily make that town the right choice.

Usually I find that when you get more for your money in one town vs another that the less expensive town does not offer as much. Perhaps the less expensive town is further from Boston. Perhaps, the school system in the less expensive town is not as good. Perhaps, the less expensive town does not have a developed town center. It's my experience in real estate that you get what you pay for.

Personally, of the towns mentioned, I would cocentrate on Westwood and Canton. They're closer to Boston which means a shorter commute for most people. They both offer commuter rail service which is a plus and fairly easy highway access as well. Westwood has better schools which will certainly impact future resale (value and market time). However, Westwood is more of a quiet town and Canton has more shops/restaurants.

A lot of the other towns mentioned just don't have quite everything you've mentioned you want.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:00 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,995,488 times
Canton would be my choice. The schools are good, the commute to Boston is fine. The drive to Westwood is also fine.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:58 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Needham I lived in Hyde Park and it was on the Milton line and nice also!
Roslindale on the West Roxbury Holy Name is safe also. I heard Norwood was an OK place. Howeer you are
there now!

Last edited by maggiekate; 12-25-2012 at 05:17 PM..

Old 12-26-2012, 11:51 AM

3 posts, read 3,140 times
Berlin.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:01 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,526 times
I grew up in Walpole - but that was years ago - we do go back occasionally. I liked living there alot and many of my classmates have made their homes there over the years. Some live in Norfork and it has a better realestate tax rate. The Rt 27 that goes from Walpole over to Medfield has some of those mini mansions that became so popular about 20 years ago. Check it out.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:47 AM

69 posts, read 239,789 times
have you looked in Medfield at all? Great schools, you get quite a bit more for your money housewise than say Westwood. It does not have a commuter rail in town but you have several option - you can go to the commuter rail stations in westwood or walpole or you can drive up to needham...

Old 01-03-2013, 09:45 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
Frankfurt?

Old 01-03-2013, 08:22 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitPro1 View Post
Berlin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Frankfurt?
I'm confused by the recommendation for German cities. Germany isn't within commuting distance to Westwood or Boston. The schools can be pretty good, however, but they do tend to teach in German.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:13 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I'm confused by the recommendation for German cities. Germany isn't within commuting distance to Westwood or Boston. The schools can be pretty good, however, but they do tend to teach in German.
I suppose it doesn't apply today as much as much as it did in the late 1930's.

Take a history class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts