Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 05:20 PM

7 posts, read 14,057 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys, can anybody give me ballpark estimates of how expensive, or if it is possible for a single professional (medical field) woman to make a living in Cambridge, MA? If my salary is 60k, would I be able to afford a decent one-bedroom, or a studio, or don't even dream about it. I tried to find similar threads, but people moving in the area are usually couples, not single individuals. I am originally from Europe and I really like the Boston/Cambridge area. Is it really true that if I find a rental place outside of the city than I have to drive 2 hours just to get to my work in the morning traffic? Or if I live in the middle of Cambridge, say, than I won't even have a balcony or a little patio, which would be so important to me (I like nature, trees and I have 2 pets).
Don't be timid, you can tell me; am I just dreamin' or actally people can find a decent place to live and make a life in this famously high cost of living area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 08:41 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,239,528 times
Very hard on that salary if not impossible. You would have to get into roommate situation to have ends meet. Cambridge is tricky as is very desirable, many jobs here, but somewhat limited access. All the surrounding areas are expensive as well.
You would have to go far out into suburbia and have very long commute to be able to afford something and even then you would have to ask if it is worth it, as commute cost in time, money and stress would be stupid.
If you can swing higher pay, it would be much more pleasant. Area we are talking about starts at $1300 and up just for studio apartments--not in amazing shape. One bed goes from $1600 and up. You want decent, renovated, and bright place you are already over $2000 for 1 or 2 beds, plus security deposit and last rent. You have to budget accordingly, also preferably have a job in the area. RE is uber-competative in general around here.
Not sure about patios and nature as Cambridge is very dense and most places are in triple-deckers or such, not super inviting but practical. You look at the neighbors windows and they into yours. Some areas are nicer and quieter but also very expensive.
Hope it helps you.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:55 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,376,773 times
Balconies/patios are tough, pets are much tougher. I think "two hours" is a bit over the top.
I suggest (as I always do) Arlington, especially East Arlington. Somewhat cheaper and lots of single women (especially older ones) and very easy access to Cambridge/Boston.
My former perfect well-laid-out studio two blocks north of the Cambridge Common now rents for $1700. Now, a car isn't a necessity if you live in such a good location, and that's to be considered. So is parking, if you keep a car, whether it's nice or a beater. Car insurance in Cambridge is loads higher than Arlington, too.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:28 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,164 times
Cambridge can be done. Loads of grad students and postdocs make Cambridge/Somerville work on budgets half or less of yours. If you live there you'll likely not need and maybe not want a car. Depending on where you work Belmont/Watertown would be a cheaper alternative (like Arlington, already suggested) but if you want Cambridge they won't have the same density and access, so you may want to pay more or live with less to live closer.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:43 AM

Thank you all, very informative answers!
Merry Christmas to you, BTW
I started looking into those places you mentioned. I also found out for example that Quincy is on the Red line T and I could be in Cambridge (where my job would be) in 20-something minutes. Similarly Arlington, too. Thanks Brightdoglover to bring up the importance of easy access.
Although I have to be careful to look for a place that is within walking distance from the metro line, because if I choose to give up my car (guess not completely out of question) it would be hard to walk long distances in the freezing wind in the winter.
I saw pretty nice apts in Medford and Waltham on the net, but maybe those are not as “easy access” to Cambridge?
Or paying 1600-1800 for a Cambridge apt (I can live on rice and beans if I have to) but I would probably have to give up the possibility of a little piece of outdoor of balcony or patio as you all said it is “dense” there in the middle. I started to be more clear about the question, right ?

Old 12-25-2012, 08:04 PM

113 posts, read 154,317 times
As has been mentioned, grad students and postdocs manage to live in Cambridge, generally on salaries of about $30-40K. They almost always have at least 1 roommate.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelessfromky View Post
Thank you all, very informative answers!
Merry Christmas to you, BTW
I started looking into those places you mentioned. I also found out for example that Quincy is on the Red line T and I could be in Cambridge (where my job would be) in 20-something minutes. Similarly Arlington, too. Thanks Brightdoglover to bring up the importance of easy access.
Although I have to be careful to look for a place that is within walking distance from the metro line, because if I choose to give up my car (guess not completely out of question) it would be hard to walk long distances in the freezing wind in the winter.
I saw pretty nice apts in Medford and Waltham on the net, but maybe those are not as “easy access” to Cambridge?
Or paying 1600-1800 for a Cambridge apt (I can live on rice and beans if I have to) but I would probably have to give up the possibility of a little piece of outdoor of balcony or patio as you all said it is “dense” there in the middle. I started to be more clear about the question, right ?
Where in Cambridge will you be? That makes a difference as different areas have different accessibilities. Waltham is not convenient to Cambridge considering how close it is. Some transit is available but the bus from Waltham is slow. I'm not sure about Medford.

I think you may have overestimated the density in Cambridge. It's dense, for sure, but nothing like Manhattan, cities on Europe, or anything in East Asia. A balcony is not unheard of. Depending on where you are you may find something in your budget that meets your criteria.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:33 PM

See jayrandom, Jimbo21, they are grad students. I want to have my own place. It's ok to have room mates for temporarily; like for students, of course, but if you want to settle down, you want to be on your own.
Thanks jayrandom, you are right, beeing from Europe, I shouldn't be worried...The target area though is East Cambridge; I know; the most expensive...That's why looks like I will have to move somewhere further out, and then take the metro, red line, which stops right there.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelessfromky View Post
See jayrandom, Jimbo21, they are grad students. I want to have my own place. It's ok to have room mates for temporarily; like for students, of course, but if you want to settle down, you want to be on your own.
Thanks jayrandom, you are right, beeing from Europe, I shouldn't be worried...The target area though is East Cambridge; I know; the most expensive...That's why looks like I will have to move somewhere further out, and then take the metro, red line, which stops right there.
Postdocs make it work, with a roommate, on half your salary. Grad students on a third. You should be ok by yourself, especially if you're willing to not have a car. That was the only point. Make a careful budget, check the bus and train lines, and see what's out there. I lived in Belmont when I was a postdoc and shared (with my wife) a nice two bedroom with sun-room for $1450/month. It was a bit of a long commute (bus to Harvard, red line to East Cambridge) but it worked. If I weren't married, though, I probably would have preferred to live in a smaller place in the Cambridge itself.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:23 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,239,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Postdocs make it work, with a roommate, on half your salary. Grad students on a third. You should be ok by yourself, especially if you're willing to not have a car. That was the only point. Make a careful budget, check the bus and train lines, and see what's out there. I lived in Belmont when I was a postdoc and shared (with my wife) a nice two bedroom with sun-room for $1450/month. It was a bit of a long commute (bus to Harvard, red line to East Cambridge) but it worked. If I weren't married, though, I probably would have preferred to live in a smaller place in the Cambridge itself.
Just out of curiosity, what do you think she can find in Cambridge that she can afford on her own?
Seen prices of rentals lately?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts