Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 09:36 AM

6 posts, read 7,434 times

Advertisements

I will be moving and working in downtown Boston starting in June. I was hoping someone could give me an idea of places to live. I do not like the idea of sharing a home with another family so a single family house or a townhouse is what I'm looking for. I will be working downtown and my husband will be working in New Hampshire. We will be renting and looking at no more than $2500 for rent.

Any good or bad city recommendations would be appreciated. I've never lived in a big city and while I wouldn't mind living downtown, I would be terrified of crime. However, a person told me I would love living downtown but the problem comes up alot of places only offer two parking spots and we have three vehicles.

Anything you can tell me would be great! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 09:50 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,851,545 times
Will your husband be commuting to NH? You could live in NH (much lower cost) and you could commute to Boston. A lot depends on where you need to get to... I know many people that take the Boston Express bus; runs well and has wifi...

Old 02-08-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Will your husband be commuting to NH? You could live in NH (much lower cost) and you could commute to Boston. A lot depends on where you need to get to... I know many people that take the Boston Express bus; runs well and has wifi...
He will be commuting up to Portsmouth. I will be working on Commercial Street by the North Station.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:27 AM

16 posts, read 32,886 times
Sounds as if you like to have plenty of space. For that reason, I really don't believe that you would find the lifestyle you're looking for in downtown Boston.

The commute from Boston to Portsmouth is a "reverse commute," in that he would be going away from the city during rush hour, but it's still over 60 miles. I would encourage you to look somewhere in between, such as Amesbury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW10132012 View Post
I will be moving and working in downtown Boston starting in June. I was hoping someone could give me an idea of places to live. I do not like the idea of sharing a home with another family so a single family house or a townhouse is what I'm looking for. I will be working downtown and my husband will be working in New Hampshire. We will be renting and looking at no more than $2500 for rent.

Any good or bad city recommendations would be appreciated. I've never lived in a big city and while I wouldn't mind living downtown, I would be terrified of crime. However, a person told me I would love living downtown but the problem comes up alot of places only offer two parking spots and we have three vehicles.

Anything you can tell me would be great! Thanks!

Old 02-09-2013, 07:13 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
Lots of towns between those two destinations...other geographic preferences (woods, ocean, lots of yard, close by neighbors) or interests?

Old 02-11-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Lots of towns between those two destinations...other geographic preferences (woods, ocean, lots of yard, close by neighbors) or interests?

Honestly, it doesn't matter...woods or ocean. I do prefer more yard/not nearby neighbors. But I realize that would be hard around Boston. We're in a townhome right now but no one lives on either side of us.

Interests: Outdoorsy things...running, hiking, bike riding.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:09 AM

940 posts, read 1,935,668 times
No towns to avoid there. Do schools matter? How important is a downtown? Newburyport has the biggest downtown and most to do. Plenty of outdoorsy things everywhere. You would have to look along 95, somewhere midway or a little closer to Boston, because it would a more difficult commute. Is train important? Ipswich, Newburyport, Newbury, Rowley will have a train to Boston and access to 95. Also plenty of ocean and woods. Ipswich might have the most townhouses.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konfetka View Post
No towns to avoid there. Do schools matter? How important is a downtown? Newburyport has the biggest downtown and most to do. Plenty of outdoorsy things everywhere. You would have to look along 95, somewhere midway or a little closer to Boston, because it would a more difficult commute. Is train important? Ipswich, Newburyport, Newbury, Rowley will have a train to Boston and access to 95. Also plenty of ocean and woods. Ipswich might have the most townhouses.
Schools do not matter. By the time we leave there (if we have them) our kids will be, at most, 2 years old. Downtown doesn't matter. I'm fine with driving...I'm fine with walking! Bikeable distance would be awesome though!! Some kind of public transportation would be GREAT! And probably a must! The place I'll be working doesn't have enough spaces for employees and I'd rather take public transportation than pay for on street parking.

It's great to hear about Ipswich and Newburyport! We've found a few homes there that we liked! I'll have to check out Newbury and Rowley!

Old 02-12-2013, 10:44 AM

87 posts, read 213,304 times
Have you looked at Andover, North Andover, Reading? all along 93, have commuter rail and within the parameters what you are looking for. Salem NH is on the border but you can definitely get more house and land there, but no commuter rail.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irena.M View Post
Have you looked at Andover, North Andover, Reading? all along 93, have commuter rail and within the parameters what you are looking for. Salem NH is on the border but you can definitely get more house and land there, but no commuter rail.
Definitely found things in all three! Are there any particular areas in those cities I should stay away from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts