U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 01:02 PM

30 posts, read 35,315 times
Default Who is responsible for shoveling snow?

My landlord lives upstairs and I rent the downstairs of a two-family house. During the last big snow in October 2011, I was out of town and he shoveled. We haven't had enough snow since then for this to be an issue. It's now 3pm, the neighbors have all been out shoveling since this morning and most of the sidewalks along my street are clear except for in front of my house. The drifts in front of the house look to be 3-4 feet high and span the entire street frontage of the house. The snow from the sidewalk is almost level with my front porch! My landlord is home but not shoveling. Is he legally responsible for shoveling? I did some google searching and the information is conflicting. I am also 6 months pregnant and no way in hell am I going to dig a path through a 4 foot snow drift. I'm trying to figure out what his legal responsibility is before I go ask him to shovel. My lease says nothing about shoveling or general property maintenance. He does mow the grass and take care of the yard in the summer though. Thoughts?

Edited to add that I literally cannot leave the house unless the snow is shoveled. There's no way to walk through it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 01:27 PM

12,236 posts, read 11,745,680 times
I don't know the LAW, but he's your landlord, he owns the property, hence he's the shovel-dude. Even if he wasn't... you're 6 months pregnant! Even if you weren't pregnant... you're a woman. (I know, I'm an old-fashioned gal.) I'm pretty sure that, by law, he's responsible anyway.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:32 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,089 posts, read 705,372 times
I think you should call him and ask him nicely to shovel a path for you.
If I was your neighbor I would do it for you but I'm a long ways away. Good luck. ~♥~

Old 02-09-2013, 02:18 PM

Thanks for the replies. Just wanted to add that I'm looking to establish legal responsibility on my landlord's part, not chivalry. Clearly, he hasn't budged to shovel yet so I don't think the chivalry/being nice thing works for him anyway.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:59 PM

355 posts, read 366,489 times
Here are the Boston rules (assuming that's where you are -- not all towns have a shoveling rule):

Snow Removal & Fines | City of Boston

So, in your landlord's case, he could be looking at a $50 fine per day. Of course, someone would have to be willing to come out today and ticket him!

From what I've read, although your landlord might bear some legal responsibility if someone gets hurt, the city of Boston is ultimately liable for city sidewalks (with a $5k limit on claims).

Old 02-09-2013, 03:01 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,669,554 times
Tenant Rights and Responsibilities

"Snow Removal: Every exit used or intended for use by occupants of more than one dwelling unit or rooming unit shall be maintained free from obstruction."

Old 02-09-2013, 06:29 PM

173 posts, read 294,142 times
Your landlord ought to feel obligated for several reasons; because you are with child, because you are a woman(assuming he is an able bodied male.), and because he is the damn landlord. If I were you, I would call him and say, "when will the snow be cleared from the entrances?" You must say this with confident expectation in your voice.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:44 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,810,376 times
I'm 99% sure it's your LL who should shovel the sidewalks and any common shared walkways. If you have a door and pathway that only you use, then it could be either one of you to shovel those areas. So it's whatever that's agreed upon initially.

I agree with Greenciti.... If you need to get out and your LL hasn't shovel the walkway, then call and ask when he plans on doing it. Speak with a matter of fact way in your voice as if you KNOW he needs to do it.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:57 PM

Believe me, I have no problem speaking up or making demands. I left a message for him several hours ago once I figured out that he is indeed legally responsible. He hasn't responded. This is beyond frustrating. It's a single door, porch, and pathway that we both use, plus the public sidewalk out front that I believe he is responsible for as well. I may just have to hire someone to do it in the morning then charge it to him. Argh!

Old 02-09-2013, 08:46 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,669,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2mass View Post
Believe me, I have no problem speaking up or making demands. I left a message for him several hours ago once I figured out that he is indeed legally responsible. He hasn't responded. This is beyond frustrating. It's a single door, porch, and pathway that we both use, plus the public sidewalk out front that I believe he is responsible for as well. I may just have to hire someone to do it in the morning then charge it to him. Argh!
It's very odd that your landlord isn't even shoveling himself out. Have you had any contact with him? its possible there could be something wrong with him. All signs point to it being his obligation, but if he were incapacitated for some reason, I doubt there is anyone he could hire for today that would be able to do the job.
I did hear the weatherman on TV suggesting everyone wait until tomorrow to shovel, so he may just be following their advice. In any case he ahould be communicating this information to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts