Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 05:40 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,552,009 times

Advertisements

I don't think most residents of Walpole even give the prison a 2nd thought. It is at the extreme south end of town with part of it in Norfolk and not far from the Wrentham border. Most citizens of Walpole gravitate north toward Boston and probably rarely see the prison. Even if you do pass it on Rte 1A, it is just a blip. There really isn't much near it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 10:45 PM

752 posts, read 1,492,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I don't think most residents of Walpole even give the prison a 2nd thought. It is at the extreme south end of town with part of it in Norfolk and not far from the Wrentham border. Most citizens of Walpole gravitate north toward Boston and probably rarely see the prison. Even if you do pass it on Rte 1A, it is just a blip. There really isn't much near it.
All the years I lived in Walpole, pretty much everyone I knew, and myself hardly ever gave the prison a second thought, either. Out of sight, out of mind.
The subject would come up in local news time to time, mostly having to do with the money the state pays the town of Walpole yearly. The prison never caused any problems for the town or community that I can think of.
There have been few escapes from it over the last 60-odd years it has been in operation--with the last being quite some years ago now.
The area the prison is in is quite under-developed and a large buffer of woods separate the facility from the roads and neighborhoods, though you can see a portion of the facility from Route 1A.
Much of the town's development is concentrated to the north and east more and the town center is a good three miles north of the road which leads to the prison (which is quite inconspicuous). I really wouldn't worry about it...Walpole is a great town.

Old 09-05-2015, 12:30 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times
Considering it's actually closer to the middle of Norfolk and Wrentham than it is to center of Walpole, (and only a half mile more to the center of Foxboro), what is the big deal? If it's a perception because of the address, throw away the town boundaries, and it's a whole new ball game. West Boylston has a county jail in town and it has not effected their image. Why? Because it's isolated from the rest of town. No one really knows its there. If you escaped prison, wouldn't you want to get OUT of town?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts