Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2013, 06:25 AM

2 posts, read 2,694 times

Advertisements

Hello

My husband, 2 children and I relocated over the summer for my husbands job in Boston. We moved our kids from the only home they have ever know to what I thought was a great apartment in Cambridge. The apartment is one of 4 in the building that also houses both landlords above us. From the day we moved in my neighbor has complained about us, the way we park, being quite while her son naps, the list goes on. Soon after our landlord turned on us too. 3 weeks ago we were served with an eviction notice. We pay a fair amount monthly ($4000) to live here and it has been hell from the beginning. Now we need to find a new place to live and I feel so guilty and so much stress because my children (5&8) are just getting settled and are mid way through the school year. All I am asking for is prayers, good wishes and karma sent our way. I had not planned on moving so soon, and worry mostly about what affect this will have on my children. Please think of me and help me release this guilt that I have somehow let my family down and please pray that we can find a great place to live in Cambridge in 30 days. Other then our living situation the move was a success as my
Kids love there new school, my husband has adjusted fine and I even started working again. I just really don't know how to let go of this guilt and want it to stop affecting my day to day life. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 06:37 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Don't you dare feel guilty. There's nothing to even feel guilty about. You're a great mom for worrying about them but kids are so resilient. They're going to be fine in your new home, which I hope you find easily.

Good luck!

Old 02-20-2013, 07:14 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,240,337 times
Sadly area you have moved to is tough on family with younger kids. Many people here, as educated, cosmopolitan and avant-garde as they like to see themselves, fail miserably in basic manners, consideration and compassion for their fellow human beings. Do not feel bad. Feel blessed that you have great budget and that you are not forced to live in continuous misery. There is always silver lining to everything.
From practical stand-point know your rights. You have kid under 6 which means you need safe (unleaded) accommodation. You do not need to rush and find another bad rental just for the sake of your landlord comfort. Eviction reasons in this case sound frivolous -- no legal standing. You can evict on a ground of non-payment of rent or big violation of the lease. Take your time and if you do feel threatened/confused by your landlord actions--reach out to Legal Advocacy Resources - City of Cambridge, Massachusetts
MA is one of the most tenant-friendly states of the Union. As a tenant in MA you always have upper hand, even if not most amazing tenant. To put it bluntly, you do not have to move in 30 days unless you found good place to move to.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:35 AM

392 posts, read 919,577 times
I'm completely taken aback by the rudeness of people. Can they truly serve you an eviction notice even though you pay on time?.. I thought only non-payment or some truly disruptive behavior on tenants part is reason enough for eviction. I would definitely contact MA tenant rights person (I *think* its' either free or very low cost). Since it's a dwelling where landlord lives himself, and there are only 4 units, they have somewhat more rights than other landlords, but you still may negotiate a longer period of time to find a new rental. (I know you don't really want to stay there, but you need to find a new good - better! - home)
Maybe get moving expenses reimbursement. You are not breeching the contract - lease - the landlord is!

Old 02-20-2013, 02:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,694 times
Thanks for your responses. Unfortunately my landlord has a criminal record and was arrested a few years back for threating people in the street in front of the house I am now living in. I know these people have a screw loose, I wish I knew then what I know now! I know in a few months when we have moved on this will all just be a bad memory. I just hate the unknown and that's where I am now. Pre kids it would be an adventour. But now I just want stability for them. I need good vibes, energy and karma. I can wait to put this situation behind me.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:09 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,831,089 times
One of the many great things about Cambridge is that district-wide open enrollment means you can keep your kids in the same school no matter where in the city you wind up.
My block-long street near Central Square has undergone a baby boom lately. Next-door neighbors welcomed their firstborn last October. A girl a few houses down will be having her first birthday celebrated tomorrow. One of the households next door to me on the other side includes children aged 2, 4, and 7. And on the top floor of my building there dwells a kindergartner. For the longest time this was almost entirely a community of childless singles/couples. I've EMBRACED the change, as has everyone else on the block that I know of. Who needs the overpriced "55+" developments springing up in suburbia? Who would voluntarily live in a student ghetto other than students? A multi-generational atmosphere is, to me, the most desirable. During the recent mega-snowstorm it left me overjoyed to hear the young kids on the street playing. While they frolicked in the white stuff the grown-ups amiably caught up on each others' business while shoveling their cars out. As the saying goes, what's a neighborhood without neighborly neighbors?
We'd welcome your family, each and every person, here. Of course the trick would be finding a place that's up for rent. North Cambridge would also be a good area to be looking in. It's relatively farther-flung from student haunts and is known for being family-friendly, right down to its own opera company.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:49 PM

71 posts, read 171,472 times
I am so sorry to hear of your troubles. I am sending you prayers and wishes to find a home that feels nourishing and nurturing to both you and your children. Namaste.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:23 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,240,337 times
All the best to you and your family. Keep your head high. Your kids will not remember much of this at all. At those ages everything is a delicious adventure! As it should be. You will luck out, best places usually come up, off major rental times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts