Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 10:23 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I personally know too many poor people who are poor via mental illness, substance abuse and family dysfunction. I certainly would prefer not to live near them and their issues.
Also, for those poor people who aren't working poor, they don't have to get up in the morning to go to work, hence, often, noise.
I don't know about "diversity." Most areas are not diverse in terms of socio-economic class. Is "Section 8" a euphemism for "not-white?"
Remember, a conservative is a liberal with a mortgage.
Most areas are not diverse in terms of socio-econonic status and color. I know I never went to school with a black person until I got to college. I wonder if Section 8 is code for not-white.

I do know that it is extremely hard to get Section 8--the person fills in an application and just waits, usually for years. There can be some really nice people on Section 8--former professionals who perhaps became disabled or people who worked all their lives but had overwhelming medical bills or a failed business, or someone who lost everything at a late age due to divorce and didn't have enough working years left to build their savings back up. These people are retired but had normal lives.

The only people I ever knew who were on Section 8 were white single mothers. One worked where I did and she was trying to get back on her feet by working part time under a government program (normally Section 8 people are more or less not allowed to work because their rent goes up at a higher percentage than their income, being based upon their gross pay, not their net and they can't get a high enough paying job to make the transition.)

The few people I knew on Section 8 would not be people I would have wanted as neighbors--former drug addicts with mental problems. But in other situations where the people are disabled or retired, I would have no problem at all and actually like the idea that these deserving people don't have to be stuck in cramped, often rundown government housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 03:06 PM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
I have section eight housing within four blocks of where I own, it's a vibrant neighborhood with lots of good people. However, the property values are on the low side for living in the city of Boston and it's because of the low income mix here. Reason being that there is a level of street crime that is unacceptable that comes with Section 8.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:51 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Why some people never fail to rise to bait like the right-wing buzzwords "liberal agenda" I'll never know.

Our mod wrote it best. Why is it assumed that attitudes in Massachusetts are any different?

Within a mile of me there are public housing "developments" (I still call 'em The Projects, so sue me) as well as subsidized apartments and multi-unit houses and single-family homes. There are Section 8 buildings within spitting distance of condo units that start at $400k and exceed $1m in market value. Some of the residents who are "on assistance" obviously have a screw loose as they do things like wander the streets in 90-degree weather clad in five layers of clothing and talking to the air. Others crank what I call "non-conscious" hiphop on their porches (but do quiet down before long and always well ahead of bedtime.) In my 20 years on this block there have been more police calls for noise brought on by students whose daddies bought or rented their places, as well as parties hosted by long-term property owners, than for anything else. That's right - it's a low-to-no crime neighborhood despite having so many of "those people" in the mix. Summer cookouts bring out fixed-income retirees and disability check recipients who mingle freely with the homeowners and better-off working persons. There are commonalities which outweigh superficial differences, and that's what generates invitations.

The city where I live has a universal reputation for leaning "loony left" at times and usually falling on the progressive side of public policy. But we have our share of NIMBY's ("they have 'problems' so I don't want them around me") nonetheless. On the other side of the coin there are plenty of folks in locations with the opposite popular image who practice the same set of values I do. It's not about writing checks to appease guilt or hewing to some imagined "agenda" in words but not actions. It's all about the Golden Rule.

Yep, I rose to the bait too, oh well!

Old 03-18-2013, 11:52 PM

42 posts, read 75,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Why some people never fail to rise to bait like the right-wing buzzwords "liberal agenda" I'll never know.
Its not to try and provoke anyone, nor is 'section 8' a code word for 'non-white'.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:15 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by time2play View Post
Its not to try and provoke anyone, nor is 'section 8' a code word for 'non-white'.
Most of us understand what you mean. The reaction to your post was actually quite racist. When people live in sheltered environments, it's hard to convince them that non-whites don't all live off of the government. Oh,well.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:07 PM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,059 times
"it's hard to convince them that non-whites don't all live off of the government. Oh,well."...

Isnt it true that the majority of those who receive government help are actually white? This makes sense because the majority of the whole population remains white.
[LEFT]
[/LEFT]

Old 03-22-2013, 01:33 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I'm an equal opportunity NIMBY. I don't want to live among poor people. I know too much about some of them. Yes, I know many people become disabled or fall on hard times and are fine neighbors, but the "disabled" people I know are mentally ill or substance abusing and did not work out well as neighbors when I lived in the city.

I still think having to get up in the morning (or whatever time, shift workers) to go to work is a good indication of a quiet neighborly community. Few areas are socio-economically diverse. They just aren't, due to housing costs.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:59 PM

23,554 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Section 8 is a disaster and the whole program needs to be scrapped. It's too bad that it's not part of the Sequestration. Sorry, but I have seen it destroy too many neighborhoods/entire towns while inflating the costs for everyone else.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:07 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,201,344 times
I absolutely do not want to live near any section/public housing/projects. I know they all arent bad, but enough of them are. Ive dealt with them through work. No way I want to come home and live near them. And I am non white, if it matters.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:45 AM

3 posts, read 4,940 times
Default pack your bags

if you live in an area and you here section 8 is coming then you better pack your bags and don't look back. section 8 is a well intentioned program that literally ruins communities by the amount of filth they attract. I cant tell you how many clean neighborhoods I've seen ruined by section 8 tenants. for example there's a building in my town that was market rate for many years. the grounds were well kept, security staff was always present, the grounds were clean and the only problem you would here about is the occasional fire alarm pull or domestic disturbance both of which were rare. about 8 years ago the property was sold and the new owners made it a section 8 building (as well as market rate but they knew full well nobody with a job is gonna move there) within a year the place was pretty much packed. now the grounds are always dirty, litter everywhere. around the litter are shady looking grown men just hanging around at noon obviously not working or trying to even find a job. the security is limited to one guy and that's if hes even there. the elevators smell like urine, the hallways have either pit bulls running up and down them or tenants who think the hallway is an extension of there living room and camp out with there furniture, chairs and kids running around making all types of noise. if its a weekend and its after 2am don't expect to get any sleep because some jackass will happily make your walls vibrate with the sound of his crappy music giving no regard if you have to work the next day or not.

there are nice quiet folks who rely on section 8 housing to live and don't bother a soul. but a fair amount of people that section 8 attracts are the kind you wouldn't want living next to you. too many thieves and criminals or to a greater degree inconsiderate people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts