Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 02:26 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
It's really expensive the closer to boston it seems. But I'm willing to listen if anybody has a suggestion.
Talk to a job counselor and go back to school, take courses and get a certificate in a desirable field. Because you lack social skills (having Aspergers) you have no future in the majority of minimum wage jobs, because they require a lot of contact with the public and being able to work well with a team of co-workers.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:12 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,899 times
I have no problem working with the public. I've done it before. I want to go back to school but I want it to be an area that has jobs. You have no business insulting me so just stop posting if you are going to talk like that. Not only are you insulting me, but you are insulting many other people with aspergers out there that do work those jobs.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:10 PM

So can anyone recommend a better area for me?

Old 02-17-2014, 06:12 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
I'm NOT insulting you or anyone with Aspergers. YOU are the one who started this thread off saying that you are "disabled", with "no special skills", having "aspergers", that you had to make yourself learn "to make eye contact with people"and you have issues with new social environments like a workplace. Plus your Aspergers is severe enough that you get SSI payments for it. And your Aspergers is severe enough that you had to earn a ged instead of finishing high school like a regular person.

You are who you are, and that's no insult. However, you can correct your lack of "special skills" by taking the right classes. Again, go seek a job counselor for their advice. We really can't help you anymore, seeing as how we don't know what you are like in person. But clearly, you have a real problem that needs help from professionals in real life. Your issues can NOT be solved anonymously for free on the internet, no matter how "reward money" you offer us for job leads. And I applaud the integrity of everyone who has read your city-data threads and not tried to scam you out of your savings.

Again, continue to save your money from the SSI disability payments and seek training in a desirable job skill that will pay you more than a minimum wage. BTW there is no point in you getting off of SSI just to have a minimum wage job for the rest of your life. Minimum wage jobs are not meant to be a career or enough to live a full life on. Minimum wages will not cover the costs of repairing a beater car when it breaks down and you can't get to work. Minimum wage will not pay for a one bedroom apartment and utilities and you will have to share housing for the rest of your life.

You say that you are barely making it financially with your SSI, but being a full time minimum wage earner is not going to put that much more money in your pocket after all the deductions from state and federal income taxes.

Quote:
I'm just a young disabled man, 23, I have no special skills but I have a ged. Clean record. Never did drugs. I've been looking for 2-3 years. I worked some seasonal jobs before. I thought it would be easy to get jobs at grocery stores/retail/restauraunts but I guess not. Alot of these places claim to be hiring but I never get called for an interview after I fill out the application. I've been stumped at this for a very long time. I am trying to get off SSI. I may have a disability but I want to work. I don't want to live the rest of my life on a handout. I am barely making it as it is. Is the unskilled job market dead here in MA? Or is it strictly who you know now? Maybe community college and financial aid will give me the edge I need to get hired for these places? I have no friends or anything. It's like the world has left me behind.
Quote:
I have aspergers. It's really dissapointing that someone in my situation can't find anything.
Quote:
I've learned to make eye contact with people through my own effort. The only issue I've ever had, and I don't know if it should be considered an issue is getting used to the job and the environment. That's it.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:55 AM

I want to know which cities in massachusetts have the best job market. That's a QUESTION that you have failed to answer. You just keep attacking me personally. I'm not on SSI anymore. Haven't been for about 2 months now. I CAN work and I WILL work. I told you to stop posting here but you just keep on going. Before learning a skill it needs to be somewhere that has a stronger job market then here. I never said I was only looking for minimum wage jobs. STOP POSTING if you aren't going to answer the question I asked.

Please tell me, what evidence do you have to prove I can't work with the public? Don't show me some old post of mine and try to distort what I said or try and draw some baseless assumption. Show me physical evidence that I can't work with the public. You don't have any. And job counselors? I've talked to MANY. Did you read the posts in here where I mentioned I've been doing this? Aspergers is a spectrum disorder, which means not everybody with aspergers is the same. Some can do what another one can't. Some can't do what another one can. Maybe you don't understand it well enough. You can ask a wide range of people with it and see how they cope personally, instead of reading some magazine article.

Yeah, I have to get used to the environment of a new job. Doesn't everybody? That's something EVERYBODY has to go through. When a person changes their field, THEY HAVE TO GET USED TO THEIR NEW LINE OF WORK.

The fact that I have to keep explaining myself so indepth to you tells me you are trolling by acting like you don't understand what I'm trying to say. And if anyone here wants to meet me in person, I will gladly do so. I'll take the train wherever you want to meet me. To prove I am real.

I don't really know why you come off so confrontational. You just keep repeating that I have aspergers, have no job skills, and shouldn't bother trying to get low paying jobs. Alright. I get it. NOW.....next?

Last edited by parried; 02-17-2014 at 08:11 AM..

Old 02-17-2014, 07:55 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,099,314 times
The best job markets are centered around the three largest cities in Mass.

Boston , Worcester and Springfield are the three areas I would concentrate on.

Also in terms of cost of living Boston is tops and the other two are less. Not much in the form of public transportation in the second two though. So getting around without a car will be tough but do able.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:14 AM

Worcester has public transportation. I've never been there before though so I have no idea how it is.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:12 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
Quote:
Worcester has public transportation. I've never been there before though so I have no idea how it is.
The previous poster answered your question. Shouldn't that mean you're done?

Old 02-17-2014, 11:55 AM

No.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:06 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
Quote:
No.
So what do you really want to know (that can be answered in the Mass. forum)?

You've criticized others for not addressing your question and then someone does give you 3 cities and you're not satisfied.

This thread is more appropriate to a different forum if it's about your employability as an Aspergers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts