U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-25-2013, 03:59 PM
 
21 posts, read 32,845 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

Hello.

Have been lurking for quite a while and now that we are closer to moving, thought it best to become a more active member. I have gained a lot of information in looking through many of the threads over the past year. From my experience with other online communities, I always feel it is best to introduce oneself before posing a question.

I am a 37yo living with my wife and 5month old daughter in Brookline (between CC and BV). We are in a great 'new' 2 bedroom condo with offstreet parking. We absolutely love where we live but are in need of some living and outdoor space. Complicating matters is that I work in Haverhill and my wife works in Norwood. We are a professional couple who could spend $1M but do not want to be house poor. If either us worked in Boston, then we would try to stay in brookline or look at one of the Newton Villages. But since that is not the case it is a bit hard to make sacrifices w/o the benefit of a shorter commute.

I have been in Boston since 2000 where as my wife grew up in the area. So we have a pretty good understanding of the surrounding towns; but far from detailed. We are looking at the usual suspects (Lex, Belmont, Wellesley, Newton and Needham) given our desire for good schools, sense of community and a degree of a walkable town center.

In terms of our commute; Needham would clearly be best for my wife but bad for me and Lexington would be the opposite. Newton/Wellesley are in the middle but certain areas are not an easy jump onto 128. As it stands now I do think Lexington is highest on our list (or at least mine) but I am worried about her commute.

Any ideas about estimated commute times for the below (say at 7:30A and 5:00P)

1. Lexington -> Norwood and then the return
2. Newton -> 93/128 Cloverleaf and then the return
3. Needham -> 93/128 Cloverleaf and then the return


Thanks in advance for any advice and I apologize for such a long winded post

-J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-25-2013, 08:23 PM
 
Location: Needham, MA
6,722 posts, read 10,063,705 times
Reputation: 5803
Wow! It seems like this is a no win situation. The two of you work so far apart that no matter which of these towns you pick one of you is going to have a really long commute. Is there one of you who is going to be your daughter's chauffeur? That person likely would need to have the shorter commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2013, 08:18 AM
 
Location: 42°22'55.2"N 71°24'46.8"W
4,844 posts, read 9,882,657 times
Reputation: 2911
One thing I can say after many years of driving from Natick to 128 North is that traffic is much worse going from Lexington (Rt-2) towards the Rt-30 exit than it is going from the Rt-30 exit to Rt-2 (Lexington). That trip is 10 minutes in the morning rush hour going North along that 128 stretch between the Pike and Rt-2, but can be twice as long going South. The Pike is a major bottleneck, so living close to the 128/Pike junction either off the Rt-30 or Rt-16 exit would result in optimal commute times for both of you.

For $1mm I would personally live in a "relatively modest" older colonial in Weston or Wellesley Farms, but for your needs it does sound like Wellesley Hills or Newton (Auburndale, West Newton) would fit your lifestyle better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2013, 08:23 AM
 
Location: 42°22'55.2"N 71°24'46.8"W
4,844 posts, read 9,882,657 times
Reputation: 2911
I had clients all over MA, NH and RI, so when I traveled from Natick to 128 South, I took Rt-9 instead of Rt-30. From the Rt-9 interchange there is absolutely no traffic heading on 128 South to the cloverleaf during the morning rush hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2013, 05:56 PM
 
21 posts, read 32,845 times
Reputation: 16
Thank you for the replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Wow! It seems like this is a no win situation. The two of you work so far apart that no matter which of these towns you pick one of you is going to have a really long commute. Is there one of you who is going to be your daughter's chauffeur? That person likely would need to have the shorter commute.
Mike - Not sure. But my wife will likely be working only 3 days a week for a few years and then back to 4. In terms of daughter pickup/dropoff will be shared depending on our mutual schedules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
One thing I can say after many years of driving from Natick to 128 North is that traffic is much worse going from Lexington (Rt-2) towards the Rt-30 exit than it is going from the Rt-30 exit to Rt-2 (Lexington). That trip is 10 minutes in the morning rush hour going North along that 128 stretch between the Pike and Rt-2, but can be twice as long going South. The Pike is a major bottleneck, so living close to the 128/Pike junction either off the Rt-30 or Rt-16 exit would result in optimal commute times for both of you.

For $1mm I would personally live in a "relatively modest" older colonial in Weston or Wellesley Farms, but for your needs it does sound like Wellesley Hills or Newton (Auburndale, West Newton) would fit your lifestyle better.
Parsec - very good points and sort of what I thought. I am also concerned about the pike-rt2 section of 128N during the evening commute. Overall I don't mind a 45-60minute drive; but its consistency that I seek. Currently heading home may take me 55 minutes and then the next day 90minutes +. We will need to look at some of the neighborhoods of Newt/Well that allow quick access to 128.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2013, 06:43 PM
 
Location: 42°22'55.2"N 71°24'46.8"W
4,844 posts, read 9,882,657 times
Reputation: 2911
Quote:
Originally Posted by late-start View Post
Thank you for the replies



Mike - Not sure. But my wife will likely be working only 3 days a week for a few years and then back to 4. In terms of daughter pickup/dropoff will be shared depending on our mutual schedules.



Parsec - very good points and sort of what I thought. I am also concerned about the pike-rt2 section of 128N during the evening commute. Overall I don't mind a 45-60minute drive; but its consistency that I seek. Currently heading home may take me 55 minutes and then the next day 90minutes +. We will need to look at some of the neighborhoods of Newt/Well that allow quick access to 128.
Unfortunately the evening commute is trickier. For example, it always took me around 30 minutes to get to Lexington from Natick in the morning rush hour, but coming home could take anywhere from 35 min to 50 min depending on traffic. Morning rush hour is generally more consistent than evening rush hour because everyone is driving from their house to work. Evening rush hour tends to be more random because in addition to people driving from work to home, you have people driving from work to restaurants, people driving from their house to meet up with friends for dinner, students driving from school to God knows where, and people just driving around running errands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2013, 08:07 PM
 
21 posts, read 32,845 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Unfortunately the evening commute is trickier. For example, it always took me around 30 minutes to get to Lexington from Natick in the morning rush hour, but coming home could take anywhere from 35 min to 50 min depending on traffic. Morning rush hour is generally more consistent than evening rush hour because everyone is driving from their house to work. Evening rush hour tends to be more random because in addition to people driving from work to home, you have people driving from work to restaurants, people driving from their house to meet up with friends for dinner, students driving from school to God knows where, and people just driving around running errands.
And then make it a Friday and all hell breaks loose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2013, 08:09 PM
 
21 posts, read 32,845 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post

For $1mm I would personally live in a "relatively modest" older colonial in Weston or Wellesley Farms, but for your needs it does sound like Wellesley Hills or Newton (Auburndale, West Newton) would fit your lifestyle better.
Why would you prefer WFarms over WHills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2013, 08:26 PM
 
Location: 42°22'55.2"N 71°24'46.8"W
4,844 posts, read 9,882,657 times
Reputation: 2911
Quote:
Originally Posted by late-start View Post
Why would you prefer WFarms over WHills?
WFarms has bigger lots and is quieter. You know those country roads with stone walls separating the front lawn from the pavement? That's what you see at Farms. It feels more like Weston than Wellesley.

WHills has a lot more hustle bustle with Rt-16 and it's possible to walk to stores/restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2013, 08:52 PM
 
Location: Needham, MA
6,722 posts, read 10,063,705 times
Reputation: 5803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
WFarms has bigger lots and is quieter. You know those country roads with stone walls separating the front lawn from the pavement? That's what you see at Farms. It feels more like Weston than Wellesley.

WHills has a lot more hustle bustle with Rt-16 and it's possible to walk to stores/restaurants.
Coming straight from Brookline to Wellesley Farms might be a bit of a "shock to the system." Transitioning from such a dense area to such a quiet area can be quite an adjustment. I also wonder if this is the type of environment the OP is looking. A large number of buyers I talk to want a "walkable" location. The sleepy, quiet neighborhoods that were so popular for decades are losing their desirability in the eyes of many younger buyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top