Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2013, 08:30 AM

2 posts, read 2,001 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm a 24 year old female moving to Quincy, Ma for school. I am from Northwest Indiana, it's about a 15 1/2 drive give or take and I am making the drive alone. I am TERRIFIED of driving on the highway, I don't even drive on the highway where I live now. I avoid them at all cost, I even took what would have been a 2 hour drive and made it 4 hours by taking back roads. However, with a car packed of all my belongings and the length of the drive, it would be ridiculous and unsafe for me to take back roads.

I have a GPS on my phone and I will also print out google maps in case I temporarily lose service. I plan on leaving Wednesday the 17th because I figured it would be very mild traffic. I am still unsure of the time I should leave because its a no win situation. I want to get into Quincy by no later than 12PM (But I prefer by 7AM) however I want to leave my house at about 1-2AM because I figured it would be next to no traffic during these hours, especially on a Wed/Thurs. But I know I can't have it both ways so any suggestions would be nice.

Anyone who's taken this trip (Or perhaps started by Chicago), how was it? Or for those of you who drive on the Mass turnpike going into the Southshore area? Any tips? I plan on staying in the right lane, because like I said I am terrified. I'm going to try to do this all in one drive stopping only for gas and mini breaks, but if I do for some reason HAVE to stop what would be a good half way point? Or perhaps a little more than halfway because I don't want to stop in PA.

I appreciate any tips anyone has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 08:43 AM

2 posts, read 2,001 times
Also, what is the best/safest route? My gps will have me going down I-90E. Is that a good route?

Old 04-02-2013, 08:47 AM

10,018 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KendraVP View Post
Also, what is the best/safest route? My gps will have me going down I-90E. Is that a good route?
Yes, it's a Toll Road.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:04 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,112,557 times
I've driven to and from Chicago a couple times. I-90 is the way to go. Figure on about $20 in tolls.

I'll add that 15hrs is a long drive, especially for someone who dosen't like driving on highways. I'd strongly suggest stopping midway and getting a room for the night because your brain/nerves will be shot by the time to get to Mass. It will really be a safety issue at that point.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:06 AM

101 posts, read 248,891 times
drive to buffalo. take a right. 8 hours later you will be in boston. I-90 most of the way. you will do fine

Old 04-02-2013, 10:31 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
How about putting your vehicle on a truck and your self on a plain or train and meeting up with the car in Quincy? With the cost of gasoline, this may even save you some $$$. I can't imagine why anyone with driving phobia would pick Quincy of all the towns around Boston to live in. You can't get anywhere from there without driving on fast roads.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:18 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,082,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
I'll add that 15hrs is a long drive, especially for someone who doesn't like driving on highways. I'd strongly suggest stopping midway and getting a room for the night because your brain/nerves will be shot by the time to get to Mass. It will really be a safety issue at that point.
Agreed. Besides the length of the drive, your fear will be mentally draining.

You might want to drive on the highway a little bit each day until the big drive. It could help you get used to it.

Last edited by raveabouttoast; 04-02-2013 at 02:15 PM..

Old 04-02-2013, 02:06 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,837,616 times
Not sure why the fear of Pennsylvania but traveling I-90 takes in only the narrowest possible slice of that state, as compared to I-80. Staying on 80 through Penna and then taking 84 could be a bit shorter but I'd go with 90 if you're fearful. 80 is full of semis in PA, and 84 through Connecticut is full of strange left exits and sudden right lane exit only warnings, so you're always having to change lanes. 90 is really very smooth, in my experience, through Ohio, New York, and into Mass. It's a toll road through all those states and the benefit of the toll roads is the convenient service areas all along the route, where you can stop, get gas, eat, and take a breather without exiting the highway (as you may know the highways built under the interstate highway program do not have service areas). I-90 is mostly two lanes in each direction--in Mass, three lanes beginning at Sturbridge. The route only gets hairy when you get to the Route 128/I-95 expressway around Boston. I think a mid-day arrival in Quincy is ok as traffic eases up in between the two rush hours.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:29 AM

404 posts, read 826,729 times
I just drove from Boston to South Western Ohio. It is 800+ miles and about 18 hours. When I previously made numerous trips from Ohio to NJ I swore that driving at night was the way to go, I have done that trip overnight aout 10 times. This is the first time I have driven in the daytime, I cannot stress how much easier it is to do during the day. I would divide your trip in half, and make a motel reservation ahead of time and sleep in Erie, Pa. Then you can do both legs in the daytime. Since you are already nervous it will be extremely stressful if you don't break it in half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts