Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2013, 05:15 AM

470 posts, read 438,321 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a web designer to upgrade my existing website. Since my budget is tight at the moment and "NO" I don't want to do it myself. Would it be too hopeful that a college (even high school?) student might be willing to offer their services as part of an internship or project that they could get class credit for?

Thoughts?

Old 04-17-2013, 08:40 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Post an ad on craigslist in the job section under "web/info design". You might get a student who needs projects for their resume to respond. Also, you might offer to buy them a nice dinner or something. I understand about being on a tight budget, but there is a big difference about what the regular cost of web design is and being completely free.

Otherwise, this MIT page suggests a student hourly rate of $19.50 for web design. So perhaps you should also ask whoever works on your web page to keep track of how long it takes to tweak your web page to your liking and then go from there.

MIT - Student Financial Services - Employment verification

Old 04-17-2013, 04:26 PM

470 posts, read 438,321 times
Quote:
Post an ad on craigslist in the job section under "web/info design". You might get a student who needs projects for their resume to respond. Also, you might offer to buy them a nice dinner or something. I understand about being on a tight budget, but there is a big difference about what the regular cost of web design is and being completely free.

Otherwise, this MIT page suggests a student hourly rate of $19.50 for web design. So perhaps you should also ask whoever works on your web page to keep track of how long it takes to tweak your web page to your liking and then go from there.
Thanks

Old 02-17-2014, 06:48 PM

22 posts, read 34,802 times
Why does everyone want creative services for cheap or free? How many of YOU work for free? Geesh!

Old 02-17-2014, 08:27 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Default Yes, too hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mask View Post
I'm looking for a web designer to upgrade my existing website. Since my budget is tight at the moment and "NO" I don't want to do it myself. Would it be too hopeful that a college (even high school?) student might be willing to offer their services as part of an internship or project that they could get class credit for?

Thoughts?
Web design is work. It's like painting a house or moving furniture. No one is going to do it for free unless they're stupid. Schools will sometimes allow students to work for course credit, but there has to be a training component to that work. If you can find some poor kid to trick into doing your work for free please let me know--I need a room in my house painted and hadn't considered offering course credit.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:21 PM

392 posts, read 919,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinyyogini View Post
Why does everyone want creative services for cheap or free? How many of YOU work for free? Geesh!
That.

I'm not saying you should pay big bucks for this. But you need someone with at least decent knowledge of what they are doing, and not only for initial set up / upgrading but also maintenance of the website.
Please don't offer a dinner in exchange, That sounds so cheapskate and offensive that a decent designer will not respond. It may be more expensive and troublesome to fix the mistakes later on, that a cheap "designer" will make. Do it right, not over.

Really, I don't mean to sound harsh, but think about it. Your website is you face on the web, it's a tool for you to communicate with perhaps 80% (or more) or potential customers.
I understand that budget is tight. But it doesn't have to be huge investment either.
Maybe you can trade services. Give them discount at whatever business you own. Think of some kind of deal.

and this is a funny read:

best of craigslist: Pro Photographer Looking for People to Do Their Job Without Pay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts