Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2013, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 906 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I need some advice regarding a ticket that I have gotten today. I have more than 3.5 years driving, with no record until today. I was driving on the route 2. and on the police cruissers I saw that they were pulling over two cars. After, passing them (I was with my speed of 65 - 55), then I speed up up to 86mph, and the limit for Rt. 2 is 55mph Then suddenly a police car was in the back of me. The first thing he did was sort of yell at me about what I did, that I was doing rapid deccel when I was passing the cruisser, and after a certain distance I speed up. Which I do not agree because I did not do the rapid decc. I know that I should be driving so fast (please don't judge me because of this for now). This is my first ticket and I would like to know if I can at least to lower the fine. I am a college student and have so many loans that I cannot afford a ticket of $310. He ckecked clock and estimated (no radar guns was used). If I decide go to the court, what would be the best statement that I can do for myself?

Please some advices, would be appreciatted.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 03:22 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,637,296 times
The limit for Route 2 in many places is 45mph not 55 mph. That's 41 miles over the limit. Perhaps if you genuinely have remorse and have learned from your mistake, you could offer community service in place of the fine.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:22 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,079,426 times
What did he ticket you at? 86 mph, or a different speed?

Either way fight the ticket. You might get it thrown out or at the very least reduced.

If "estimated" is the only box checked, that's slightly more in your favor. Tell the magistrate that while you may have been over the speed limit, you don't believe you were going that fast. Also throw in the fact that you have a clean driving record and that it would be foolish for someone to speed up to nearly twice the speed limit after seeing a cop pulling someone over on that same road.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:50 PM

23,556 posts, read 18,651,084 times
Even if the speed limit was 55, that is still Reckless Driving. You better hold your head high, dress very nicely and get down on your knees. I wouldn't argue or say you weren't going that fast, the magistrate will never believe you. Say you are sorry, broke and hope for the best.

And be careful!

Last edited by massnative71; 05-21-2013 at 10:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts