Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 09:13 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times

Advertisements

Coming from AZ, the cultural and political climate of towns such as Newburyport as well as most of Cape Ann and Marblehead may be more progressive than what you are used to. Being close to the ocean, they also have boating and fishing culture that you will unlikely be a part of.

It sounds like density wise you are looking for a town that is suburban but not exurban.

Higher density: Salem, Beverly (other than the Farms), Danvers, most of Cape Ann, Haverhill
Exurban: Hamilton, Wenham, Essex, Amesbury, Ipswich, North Reading, Topsfield
Suburban: Andover, Reading, North Andover, Lynnfield, Wakefield
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 10:51 PM

4 posts, read 9,016 times
Angeluzzo & LexWest, You have given me a lot to think about! I just copied and sent to my husband as he is out of the country. Thanks so much. This is much harder then I thought when there is so much to consider. We moved to Arizona 8 years ago from California it was a pretty easy move. This is a whole different ballgame!

I get what you are saying about Newburyport... Maybe it is not the place for me and my husband. Although my husband has a great job... keeping up with the Jones' not really our thing. Me and my husband are pretty laid back people. I'm looking more for a down to earth places with good lil place to eat and shop that are not chains. Not that the chain stores are not nice to have but that is all we have here! Every Neighborhood is filled with strip mall with the same places to eat and shop.

Gonna spend some time looking at the other cities mentioned. I am sure to have more questions

I have never written or been on things like this before. It has been so helpful. Thank you to those who have taken the time. It is so appreciated!!!

Old 06-01-2013, 10:59 PM

4 posts, read 9,016 times
495neighbor.... You are very right. I don't think I would want to live there but maybe a nice place to spend a day. I am pretty happy with the person I am and it sounds like I would not fit in very well. Getting ready to look at some of the other towns suggested!

Old 06-02-2013, 09:45 AM

69 posts, read 147,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshiney71 View Post
Angeluzzo & LexWest, You have given me a lot to think about! I just copied and sent to my husband as he is out of the country. Thanks so much. This is much harder then I thought when there is so much to consider. We moved to Arizona 8 years ago from California it was a pretty easy move. This is a whole different ballgame!

I get what you are saying about Newburyport... Maybe it is not the place for me and my husband. Although my husband has a great job... keeping up with the Jones' not really our thing. Me and my husband are pretty laid back people. I'm looking more for a down to earth places with good lil place to eat and shop that are not chains. Not that the chain stores are not nice to have but that is all we have here! Every Neighborhood is filled with strip mall with the same places to eat and shop.

Gonna spend some time looking at the other cities mentioned. I am sure to have more questions

I have never written or been on things like this before. It has been so helpful. Thank you to those who have taken the time. It is so appreciated!!!
I will say this as well -

It sounds to me (and I could be wrong) like the prospective change of environment seems exciting to you. Maybe you want to get away from the California / Arizona prototypical "chain stores" and "strip malls". Maybe the charm of New England, especially in some of the smaller towns with quaint restaurants and "mom and pop" business would appeal to you.

One thing that is WONDERFUL about the North Shore and Cape Ann is this - you can live in small town with New England ambiance, and still only be 20-30 minutes from Boston. It can prove to be pricey, but nonetheless, worthwhile if that is your ambition.

Wakefield, where your husband will work, it right on the cusp of northern 128, and the "meat of 128". In other words, it isn't quite in Woburn, Burlington, etc etc......the "technology hub of Massachusetts". It is (Wakefield) close enough north where he will avoid most of (not all.....but most off) the traffic into those areas filled with technology parks and tons of commuters coming in for jobs. Thus, Wakefield is a good location in that respect.

Now, the areas right around Wakefield, such as Stoneham, Woburn, Saugus, Melrose, and Burlington will be too "commercial" for you, based on what you are saying. They are mostly business parks, malls, chain restaurants, and department stores. They are nice communities, but maybe not "in your wheel house" per say.

Also, I would say that you should stay north of Wakefield. I only say that because south of Wakefield is closer to Boston, closer to the "Western Loop" and you pay for things that you appear devoted to avoiding - malls, big stores, commercial type environments. Once you get down into the Lexington, Belmont, Arlington area you are paying top dollar for things you may wish to avoid.

That being said - IF you wanted to check that area out, I would suggest only two locations; Lexington and Concord. HOWEVER, let it be known, those areas are expensive, and you might not be getting what you would want to be paying for there.

Now, if you are okay with having the expensive waterfront areas within 20 minutes or so, so you can spend a day there, but not have to live there or pay the prices there, I would look at Boxford, Topsfield, North Andover, and North Reading. They are inland, they are nice, safe, small towns with New England charms and New England homes, and they all have good schools for your daughter to finish high school.

Food for thought here - there is "North Andover" and there is "Andover". Andover is pricier than North Andover, and it is similar to Newburyport in attitude and insulation. North Andover is nice, but.....the "northern" part of North Andover borders on Lawrence, and while I was born in Lawrence, I will say this - it is not at all the type of place you and your husband would want to live. So, shoot for North Andover, but the sections of North Andover closer to Andover, and further from Lawrence.

So, given the new insights you provided, I would look at these areas;

Concord and Lexington (walkable, nice, safe, somewhat elitist, a bit pricey)

Boxford, Topsfield, North Reading, North Andover (slower pace, nice, safe, well priced)

and if you reconsider living near the water, and wanting to be in a more aesthetically pleasing town.....then I would re-examine;

Ipswich
Salem
Marblehead
Rockport

Ipswich being the most affordable of the three options there.

I hope in someway this helps you and your husband.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:41 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeluzzo View Post
I will say this as well -

It sounds to me (and I could be wrong) like the prospective change of environment seems exciting to you. Maybe you want to get away from the California / Arizona prototypical "chain stores" and "strip malls". Maybe the charm of New England, especially in some of the smaller towns with quaint restaurants and "mom and pop" business would appeal to you.

One thing that is WONDERFUL about the North Shore and Cape Ann is this - you can live in small town with New England ambiance, and still only be 20-30 minutes from Boston. It can prove to be pricey, but nonetheless, worthwhile if that is your ambition.

Wakefield, where your husband will work, it right on the cusp of northern 128, and the "meat of 128". In other words, it isn't quite in Woburn, Burlington, etc etc......the "technology hub of Massachusetts". It is (Wakefield) close enough north where he will avoid most of (not all.....but most off) the traffic into those areas filled with technology parks and tons of commuters coming in for jobs. Thus, Wakefield is a good location in that respect.

Now, the areas right around Wakefield, such as Stoneham, Woburn, Saugus, Melrose, and Burlington will be too "commercial" for you, based on what you are saying. They are mostly business parks, malls, chain restaurants, and department stores. They are nice communities, but maybe not "in your wheel house" per say.

Also, I would say that you should stay north of Wakefield. I only say that because south of Wakefield is closer to Boston, closer to the "Western Loop" and you pay for things that you appear devoted to avoiding - malls, big stores, commercial type environments. Once you get down into the Lexington, Belmont, Arlington area you are paying top dollar for things you may wish to avoid.

That being said - IF you wanted to check that area out, I would suggest only two locations; Lexington and Concord. HOWEVER, let it be known, those areas are expensive, and you might not be getting what you would want to be paying for there.

Now, if you are okay with having the expensive waterfront areas within 20 minutes or so, so you can spend a day there, but not have to live there or pay the prices there, I would look at Boxford, Topsfield, North Andover, and North Reading. They are inland, they are nice, safe, small towns with New England charms and New England homes, and they all have good schools for your daughter to finish high school.

Food for thought here - there is "North Andover" and there is "Andover". Andover is pricier than North Andover, and it is similar to Newburyport in attitude and insulation. North Andover is nice, but.....the "northern" part of North Andover borders on Lawrence, and while I was born in Lawrence, I will say this - it is not at all the type of place you and your husband would want to live. So, shoot for North Andover, but the sections of North Andover closer to Andover, and further from Lawrence.

So, given the new insights you provided, I would look at these areas;

Concord and Lexington (walkable, nice, safe, somewhat elitist, a bit pricey)

Boxford, Topsfield, North Reading, North Andover (slower pace, nice, safe, well priced)

and if you reconsider living near the water, and wanting to be in a more aesthetically pleasing town.....then I would re-examine;

Ipswich
Salem
Marblehead
Rockport

Ipswich being the most affordable of the three options there.

I hope in someway this helps you and your husband.
Melrose is not in any way mallified like Burlington. The downtown is very turn of the century with period homes and some good indie cafés and eating places. Woburn downtown is full of great little family run eating places, similar to Billerica, only the 128 part of Woburn is mallified.

I find the North Shore to be more elitist than Lexington. A lot of self-made business people live in Lexington. Only downtown Concord is elitist, West Concord has very educated, down-to-earth people.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:48 PM

69 posts, read 147,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Melrose is not in any way mallified like Burlington. The downtown is very turn of the century with period homes and some good indie cafés and eating places. Woburn downtown is full of great little family run eating places, similar to Billerica, only the 128 part of Woburn is mallified.

I find the North Shore to be more elitist than Lexington. A lot of self-made business people live in Lexington. Only downtown Concord is elitist, West Concord has very educated, down-to-earth people.

I am in full agreement regarding West Concord.

Old 10-25-2015, 11:45 AM

4 posts, read 8,695 times
Hi where did you end up in MA? We are thinking of moving back to MA. Thanks!

Old 10-25-2015, 12:01 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horses5 View Post
Hi where did you end up in MA? We are thinking of moving back to MA. Thanks!
Insteadof asking three totally different people where they ended up moving, I would suggest starting your own discussion thread detailing your own situation. People here are always happy to debate the pluses and minuses of your own unique situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts