Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 08:19 AM

121 posts, read 242,021 times

Advertisements

We were looking at the houses at those areas, and it seems that Auburndale is cheaper? Is there a reason for that? There is a new house on sale for 1.2M in Auburndale, and the same house in West Newton or Nonantum would cost twice as much....

Is there something I should know about that area? I was looking at the intersection of route 95 and masspike area

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 01:55 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Which house are you referring to? I don't see any listings on MLS in Auburndale for $1.2M. Sometimes, it's not the village the house is in but rather the general location of the property. If I knew which house sepcifically you were referring to I could likely explain the pricing.

Also, I'm not sure I would say Auburndale is cheaper than Nonantum and I would definitely say some parts of West Newton are more expensive than others. West Newton Hill is quite pricey for example.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:06 PM

That's the house

554 Auburn St - Property Details

Old 06-03-2013, 05:05 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malishka View Post
Auburn Street isn't a desirable area of Auburndale...

Old 06-03-2013, 05:28 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
That's an odd location for new construction or a rebuild, so close to the Turnpike. I would imagine someone could find a suitable home for less one million still in Auburndale or West Newton.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
That's an odd location for new construction or a rebuild, so close to the Turnpike. I would imagine someone could find a suitable home for less one million still in Auburndale or West Newton.
There are no similar houses in Newton for that price...

Would you say it's a very bad location? I don't care about 95/masspike being so close....You can't hear it really...And i live right on Route 2 right now so i am used to a background noise...So what is so bad there in addition to highways? Is this area much worse then West Newton, for example? (I am looking at the upper part of Newton...)

Old 06-03-2013, 07:26 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
I have not heard much good or bad either way about this section of Newton. I am a little familiar with it. Most of Auburndale is sleepy, except this area. I just google mapped this for curiosity. You are not too far from highway 128, the MassTurnpike, route 16, route 30. You will have a gas station to the left, a shopping center behind you, a bunch of older apartment buildings all around you, not to mention a bunch of older homes that may be investor properties with a transient population. I noticed when I looked up the property, there was another new construction home just sold on the same street. So who knows, perhaps all these older houses will be bought up, knocked down and replaced with more brand new shiny dwellings. But if not, you may end up with something that doesn't hold its value in the long run.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
I have not heard much good or bad either way about this section of Newton. I am a little familiar with it. Most of Auburndale is sleepy, except this area. I just google mapped this for curiosity. You are not too far from highway 128, the MassTurnpike, route 16, route 30. You will have a gas station to the left, a shopping center behind you, a bunch of older apartment buildings all around you, not to mention a bunch of older homes that may be investor properties with a transient population. I noticed when I looked up the property, there was another new construction home just sold on the same street. So who knows, perhaps all these older houses will be bought up, knocked down and replaced with more brand new shiny dwellings. But if not, you may end up with something that doesn't hold its value in the long run.
thats a very good point and something to think about, thank you!

Old 06-03-2013, 09:14 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
I agree. A weird location for someone to choose for a new construction build but not all builders are know what buyers want. They know how to put up houses, but have no idea where is a good place to put them or often have no idea what finishes buyers are looking for.

One would be hard pressed to find another brand new house like this in a better location in Auburndale for the same price.

Quote:
Most of Auburndale is sleepy, except this area. I just google mapped this for curiosity. You are not too far from highway 128, the MassTurnpike, route 16, route 30. You will have a gas station to the left, a shopping center behind you, a bunch of older apartment buildings all around you, not to mention a bunch of older homes that may be investor properties with a transient population. I noticed when I looked up the property, there was another new construction home just sold on the same street. So who knows, perhaps all these older houses will be bought up, knocked down and replaced with more brand new shiny dwellings. But if not, you may end up with something that doesn't hold its value in the long run.
Satellite view is a buyer's best friend. Especially, if they're not familiar with an area.

There are not a ton of similar houses to this one in the neighborhood. You raise a lot of valid points.

If the OP really wants something shiny new like this in the $1.2M price range they'll have a hard time finding it in a decent location (or in a neighborhood of similar homes) in Newton unless they're willing to buy a townhouse. An adjustment in expectations for their new home (perhaps something that's been rennovated?) or widening the area they're searching in would be advisable.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:54 AM

I actually wasn't even looking at new constructions before, I just don't like the style of new houses. I much prefer renovated victorian... This house is different and I really liked the style (very European)... But I don't want to buy a house in a bad neighborhood or on a street that will be hard to sell later on....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts