Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 11:50 AM

226 posts, read 386,409 times

Advertisements

Billerica is a terrible place for a single, young man to live. Move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 11:53 AM

9,070 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriptkitten View Post
Wow! That is so blunt but I can't argue with it.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:10 PM

226 posts, read 386,409 times
After 7 years of living in (and loving) Manhattan and Boston, I moved to a town near Billerica last year.

I LOVE it and everything the area has to offer for my young family. We are having a blast and making lots of friends... But that's because we made a lot of connections in Boston first, and have many opportunities for community through the kids' school. We are active here in the suburbs but also go into Boston a few times a week since we are connected there, too.

If I would have moved here before having kids and a spouse I'd be suicidal. I mean... There aren't even any good indie bars or coffee shops out here! None of the town centers here have a scene at all. Why??? Because all the mommy and daddies are too tired to go out after putting the kids to bed!

Old 06-30-2013, 12:42 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
I know there are a few thriving social groups around Nashua and Southern NH where the members get together and do day trips and hikes. One is on Meetup and there is another one a quick internet search would provide. As some of the others have advised moving to a different town (you have mentioned Malden and Somerville) won't necessarily gain you long term friends or a relationship. Joining others in activities you enjoy is better for connecting with others.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:03 PM

2 posts, read 2,598 times
I agree. It is very hard to make friends here. I have lived here for many years, and when one tries to reach out to others, one can be rebuffed for no reason.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,598 times
Default Making friends

Yes, I agree. It is hard to make friends in Boston. I have reached out with interest to others, and most of the time I'm ignored or rebuffed.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:06 PM

143 posts, read 300,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I know a married acquaintance who hails from New Hampshire. He and his wife moved into Massachusetts to be closer to the in-laws. They tried Billerica and purchased a SFH near Nuttings Lake. Almost every night teens and twenty-somethings would hang out on their street and drink. Every morning their lawn would be littered with broken glass and trash. The town police would not address the public drinking, nor vandalism. Needless to say they left the town.
Pinehurst and Nuttings Lake are the trashiest places in town I'd say but its everywhere, just less prevalent behind the mall but its there in pockets. The cops don't do crap about certain things either so theres no point in calling them.. oh and you know what they say.. when seconds count, the police are minutes away but its too bad they couldn't teach those punks a lesson.

I think some nice people are in Billerica, but the younger generations are changing that without a care for their past families or ancestors who came here and East Indians are taking over. It would be no fun if they got supremacy of this place I got news for you. They believe in slavery and everything and heavily support caste systems over there. Even if I wanted to move there, they wouldn't let me yet they can come here freely and yea they may smile and act polite, but they got plans. I can't stand those Indians and the fact they're smarter makes them more a threat. Native Americans on the other hand, I am like the new Native American with a new twist. As I get older, I am going to want to be around very very few people and I will want to hunt and fish as a lifestyle or grow my own crops. I was born here, as a child I naturally thought this was my home area and it is. Things seemed normal as a kid in the earlier 80s and happier and then gradually It gets worse until I am fighting and then my blood is spilled in 5 yrs or so. My ancestors didn't rape, enslave or anything since we were poor immigrants seeking a better life and never held hate for anyone or any fighting rage for other groups unlike the founding fathers who were completely discriminatory and brought tyranny with them and used it well. I'd say for this modern day, someone like me is like a new kind of Native only without group cohesion.

Its building up in me because I see changes and I want to preserve how it was, not try to fight for false progressive causes with integration. Billerica was once a nice little town with more country and cheap cheap houses, but sadly its going down the drain. We had our white trash here too, but when you add the problems other people bring on top of it, it makes it totally dysfunctional. We have our own criminals and losers, lets deal with them and stop bringing in black refugees and Indians or whatever else. People overall in Billerica I don't feel I can talk about this to as most are turn the other way types. I'd rather get a good argument from a leftist near the city anyday than to try to pry it out of white people here. This is a statewide issue though as well, but sometimes at the local level is the first place to start for a better tomorrow.

I don't mean to turn this into a Stormfront rambling but I get on a roll sometimes and we can't talk about the development of Billerica without bringing these issues up as well.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I'm sure the behavior must occur in other locales. I have never encountered it myself though. The house my acquaintance bought was brand new construction in place of a torn down cottage. He told me that the same builder had several others within the vicinity. The builder told him and his wife that the area was up and coming but subsequent events showed that to be nothing more than a sales pitch.
I think it worked for awhile when they said how Billerica was up and coming and they did build new lots to try to spruce it up but you can't change Billerica into Concord or Bedford.. just isn't happening. , Houses went up but in the long run Billerica will get crappier as more young white people will be moving either to cities or the country and Indians/blacks/muslims take over the burbs once the remainder of old white people either die off or get real old to do anything about it.. more young whites will probably will go to the city as they have no real skills to do it themselves in rural areas. The future will be interesting to say the least in the entire Lowell area and even in the state of MA.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Well to validate your comment about the seemingly lack of females, here is the Billerica male to female ratio as of 2009 courtesy of City-Data.com.

Males: 20,272 (50.9%)
Females: 19,593 (49.1%)

So if you factor out married people and baby-mamas, there may not be a lot left to choose from in Billerica. Now what I find interesting is that my town has more females than males but it doesn't feel that when I am out and about.

Males: 3,228 (48.7%)
Females: 3,403 (51.3%)

Now you have identified that the Lowell suburbs are not right for you and one option being explored is relocating to the inner Boston suburbs. Socially this would be a good move for making friends but you will need to be prepared to do one of two things: find a high paying job or line up living arrangement with multiple roommates. you may also need to adjust from a driving lifestyle to a public transportation lifestyle. I have had friends in the Watertown and Somerville areas who complained so much about parking woes.

I left the Lowell area just over a year ago. I chose southern NH because I am not looking to be surrounded by thousands of strangers all the time. Although southern NH is not known as a great place for singles, I like the vibe of the area. It is different than the Lowell suburbs, I can't really describe it but all I know is that I feel in tune with it.
Oh ya the male/female ratio is NOT even counting single mothers and baby drama and crap. When you factor that in, the pickings get even slimmer. The men available stay the same, but the women keep dwindling out as they have too much baggage for any guy to ever date them. Its 2013 and its very rough out there. Its pretty sad if I feel I have to go to Boston area just to get more networking. I didn't think I'd resort to this but it looks like I could and just try to see if I can remotely get that sitcom style life going to coffee shops. If I can just do that and work just a 40 hr a week job with roommates, that will be considered a success until I retire to the country one day.

Also taking public transit there becomes easy I know since its walkable and you can take anything to get anywhere. Some people even do it from Burlington but to me, that's a stretch but some people do it so the city limits must be real easy to walk and take public transit in barring the fact you don't get into fights with blacks or whatever. Anyone ever mention conflict like this to you that you know?

Nashua may have a different feel but its still not worth it to me.. same problems as Lowell or Boston area, just smaller and appears more relaxed but not really. Southern NH is out.. Too many from MA moved there and crowded it up so much where staying in MA made more sense. I cant stand Amherst for instance. Hollis is ok but again, too expensive. Its like one of those overpriced rural towns in MA now. But yea, I feel this way about further out Boston suburbs like Billerica.. when too many people come in droves to leave what they screwed up, it becomes just like what they left. I will not and I refuse to move to a place where everyone is going to go or it defeats the purpose to make the move. it makes just as much sense to hop right back to the place that everyone moved FROM and try to deal with your problems there. Southern NH is becoming a police state though, I got news for you.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriptkitten View Post
Oh I plan to when I save enough money from working and then pay off my student loan. No way in hell will I build a future here from how it looks unless I get lucky like Daft Punk is only I am not staying up late trying to do it necessarily ntm most of Billerica is in bed haha. Just a little bit of humor there.

I am 32 but feel older but young at the same time. I can live either way, just not a limbo where everyone is nearly a workaholic, they aren't old or young. I feel old and I feel young. Young in my looks, old in my mind for 32 anyhow. I been around and lived state to state so Billerica would get monotonous after awhile for someone like this who has seen other towns and cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts