Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 09:59 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
The Boston are is not a transient place. A lot of people have been here for generations, did all their schooling local, and stay. Also, with work being as competitive as it is, I would be very weary to let someone from work enter my personal life. Who knows what info they could gather to use against me some day.
On the flip side, I would consider the Boston area an EXTREMELY transient place. Very few people at work or in my social circle are natives. Lots of people come here for college or for their first jobs, and then leave. Or come back. Even if they are natives, they rarely live in the same town they grew up in.

But it very much depends on your social circle and where you live. The neighborhood where I live in Medford is very townie and aside from greeting my neighbors, I don't know many of them and they're not particularly interested in growing their social network. That's fine. I find that more blue collar suburbs tend to be insular and less likely to want new friends. Billerica and Chelmsford fall under that umbrella.

There are tons of young professional, networking, common interest, volunteer and political groups all over the state. You meet people by going to activities like the above or Meetup.com events where people are very open to meeting new people. And typically, the closer you get to Boston, the better your prospects are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 10:16 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,909,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
On the flip side, I would consider the Boston area an EXTREMELY transient place. Very few people at work or in my social circle are natives. Lots of people come here for college or for their first jobs, and then leave. Or come back. Even if they are natives, they rarely live in the same town they grew up in.

But it very much depends on your social circle and where you live. The neighborhood where I live in Medford is very townie and aside from greeting my neighbors, I don't know many of them and they're not particularly interested in growing their social network. That's fine. I find that more blue collar suburbs tend to be insular and less likely to want new friends. Billerica and Chelmsford fall under that umbrella.

There are tons of young professional, networking, common interest, volunteer and political groups all over the state. You meet people by going to activities like the above or Meetup.com events where people are very open to meeting new people. And typically, the closer you get to Boston, the better your prospects are.
Yea I would think a job in the burbs would be less transient than a job in the city.

Not many people are going to move to the Boston area to work in Westford.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:28 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Yea I would think a job in the burbs would be less transient than a job in the city.

Not many people are going to move to the Boston area to work in Westford.
I work in the burbs. :P I just live closer to the city because I'm trying to find a better paying job in the city, and moving out to the burbs will make it more difficult when I transition. Moving is expensive!

It really depends on the industry. Higher ed, technology, medicine, etc have many outposts in the burbs (and are some of the biggest employers in our state) but also attract people from all over the country. I have friends from New Mexico, Texas, New York, and myself from Georgia who moved here for jobs in Waltham, Burlington, Nashua, Acton and beyond. Most stuck around for a few years and then found higher paying work in Boston or, occasionally, Manchester, and moved for the better social life.

Last edited by charolastra00; 07-02-2013 at 11:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts