U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2010, 09:24 PM

9,278 posts, read 17,322,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachertype View Post
I rarely read your posts because you're not very knowledgeable about western MA, but you quoted me, so I assume your "stepford" comment is directed at me. First, you aren't authorized to tell anyone else where to stay or where to live. Second, Springfield is the ghetto. It certainly has some good people trying hard to survive there and make it a better place. I respect that and I've been a part of it. But, bottom line, Springfield's assets are a lot of street crime, a lot of poverty, a lot of abandoned/run down/foreclosed/boarded up houses, a lot of safety issues and fed subsidized lunches in the schools...and then there's the bad things about Springfield. Good people - crummy set of circumstances to aspire to in life.
Parts of Springfield are as you describe. It's a city that has some serious problems for sure.

However, the whole city isn't bad. Furthermore, the problems Springfield has are certainly not unique to Springfield. I feel that Springfield's comparably sized neighbor (Hartford) is worse in many aspects.

If I'm wrong, correct me; but I think WMALI was making an observation about how many people in this state expect to live in either A) The pristine 'burbs or B) Boston' and I'd have to agree. That may not be what you were trying to get at, but it's a valid point.

There are too many people in MA who completely write off any urban area as a "dump" because it isn't Boston. It's unfair and it's incredibly misleading. You cannot simply write off an entire municipality as a "dump." To do so would require an outrageous emphasis on the negative. Keep in mind, the vast majority of Springfield residents aren't raped, mugged, shot, etc. In addition, there are some really attractive neighborhoods in town.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. However, it's unfair to Springfield and the potential future residents of that city to disregard it as a whole. While there are rough patches in town, it's not all bad. The problems Springfield has are not at all unique to Springfield. Not everyone moving to MA is looking for a quiet suburb or rural community. For those who aren't many areas in Springfield could work quite well.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 09:06 AM

755 posts, read 974,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
There are too many people in MA who completely write off any urban area as a "dump" because it isn't Boston. It's unfair and it's incredibly misleading. You cannot simply write off an entire municipality as a "dump." To do so would require an outrageous emphasis on the negative. Keep in mind, the vast majority of Springfield residents aren't raped, mugged, shot, etc. In addition, there are some really attractive neighborhoods in town.
:applauds: You know, that's one thing I've noticed in going through not just these MA boards, but also boards from other states -- nearly every place that's "down on its heels" (for lack of a better term) economically (in MA it just happens to be mostly old mill towns) focuses on the negative aspects and rarely, if ever, mentions the positives. I think it partly comes from reputation and partly stereotype, as in "Oh...old depressed city means lots of economically disadvantaged which means crime, OMG!"

I lived for a time in one of these cities. Sure, there were areas you wouldn't want to wander into come nightfall (which is true for any city, even Boston), but otherwise they were perfectly fine. I never had any issues with it. Neither did any of my neighbors, whether they were newcomers like myself or were born and raised there.

Quote:
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. However, it's unfair to Springfield and the potential future residents of that city to disregard it as a whole. While there are rough patches in town, it's not all bad. The problems Springfield has are not at all unique to Springfield. Not everyone moving to MA is looking for a quiet suburb or rural community. For those who aren't many areas in Springfield could work quite well.
Exactly!

Old 10-14-2010, 02:15 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,672,868 times
Atwater Terrace, Springfield, MA - Google Maps

must be a gang members house

115 Wachusett Street, Springfield, MA - Google Maps

i would so terrified to live here

South Branch Parkway, Springfield, MA - Google Maps

yep another one of those ghetto areas.

these three links are from 3 totally different areas of Springfield and all look good to me. While agree that some ares of Springfield are bad,but i think that the good definately outweighs the bad.

It is so grating to read all these negative posts about a city that just are not warranted, if more people took a little pride in the city and maybe frequented some local business and made a concerted effort to help the city out,IT MIGHT JUST HELP with the turn around.

Oh and on a side note i know Western Mass plenty,it is just that my opinion differs from others and it seems it rubs some the wrong way. Maybe it's from spending to much time in Springfield.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:58 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,070 posts, read 45,078,047 times
Or how about one of these:

I prefer older neighborhoods. The neighborhood got an award, too for this site.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/phot...738500,00.html

Old 10-14-2010, 06:54 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,672,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

I love the area right there,it has everything one needs within walking distance and the houses are all so well kept, one of my kids lives in one of the apartment buildings right by friendlys and jogs in forest park daily.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:12 AM

7 posts, read 12,398 times
Default Respond

Let me tell you something that you may find a very rude! first of all this my personal opinion, not yours! you haven't been through the things me or my friends have been through if you don't like my opinion all well! These are my feelings and i have a right to express them! Secondly, Springfield is a very small city with about 150,000 people, most of whom know each other or are friends with someone who knows them! There are some many connections to all of my friends it's unbelievable!!! I don't understand why people are the way they are here! i tired to look for work and applied at over 60 places and didn't get hired at any of them! I am decent person and my friends call me the Prime Minister because of my intelligence and liberal personality! I've been to cities with lots of more problems than Springfield like Boston and yet they seem to be more progressive and civil than here! i have deep sympathy for those places because they have over 600,000 people in them so i expect some problems, but don't have sympathy for a place as small as Springfield! if you had read my whole comment instead of taking what you wanted out of it you would have read the part where it says that some people in Springfield are good! if Springfield is such a great place to live why don't you live in the north end for a few years and you tell me if Springfield is such a wonderful, progressive, civil and safe place to live! many of my friends live there without any other option, should they have to put up with that sort of nonsense! should i have to put up with that sort of nonsense? you tell me since you seem to know everything about Massachusetts, because i must be an old fashioned, racist, homophobic, sexist pig that doesn't know ****!

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-29-2010 at 04:23 AM.. Reason: language

Old 09-27-2011, 08:22 AM

1 posts, read 3,215 times
Springfield is crap. i just sold my last investment home last week. Stay away from this city. If it is not the crime, it is the city's backwards bureaucracy. The city will nickel and dime you. Also, if you are looking for tenants, they are the worse. Just get familiar housing court system because Springfield tenants will drag you there every month.

Trust me, I have been a repsonsible landlord for the last 8 years in Springfield and now I am scott free.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:41 PM

835 posts, read 937,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
White Non-Hispanic (48.8%)
Hispanic (27.2%)
Black (21.0%)
Other race (16.4%)

What does that have to do with anything?

Old 04-04-2012, 11:05 AM

407 posts, read 541,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
Atwater Terrace, Springfield, MA - Google Maps

must be a gang members house

115 Wachusett Street, Springfield, MA - Google Maps

i would so terrified to live here

South Branch Parkway, Springfield, MA - Google Maps

yep another one of those ghetto areas.

these three links are from 3 totally different areas of Springfield and all look good to me. While agree that some ares of Springfield are bad,but i think that the good definately outweighs the bad.

It is so grating to read all these negative posts about a city that just are not warranted, if more people took a little pride in the city and maybe frequented some local business and made a concerted effort to help the city out,IT MIGHT JUST HELP with the turn around.

Oh and on a side note i know Western Mass plenty,it is just that my opinion differs from others and it seems it rubs some the wrong way. Maybe it's from spending to much time in Springfield.

Wow I used to live off South Branch Parkway from 1989-1993. Used to be a really nice neighborhood. Things have changed...

Old 04-04-2012, 01:18 PM

9,278 posts, read 17,322,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa1974 View Post

Wow I used to live off South Branch Parkway from 1989-1993. Used to be a really nice neighborhood. Things have changed...
He's being sarcastic. Those are still nice places.

He's expressing frustration in the anti- anythingurbanthatisn'tboston mentality that's fairly prominent on these forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts