Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you voluntarily interact mostly with townies or transplants?
I am a townie who interacts mostly with other townies. 0 0%
I am a townie who interacts mostly with transplants. 2 5.71%
I am a townie who interacts with both townies and transplants. 3 8.57%
I am a transplant who interacts with both townies and transplants. 12 34.29%
I am a transplant who interacts mostly with townies. 1 2.86%
I am a transplant who interacts mostly with other transplants. 7 20.00%
I don't know enough local people to comment. 3 8.57%
None of the above 7 20.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 05:47 PM

9,070 posts, read 6,300,219 times

Advertisements

So I have come across a few postings where people who have come to Boston for school bitterly complain about the locals. As a lifelong New Englander I am curious what people think about townies and transplants in the New England states.

My definition of townie is fairly strict. For the sake of this topic I am defining townie as someone at least 18 years of age who has not left the city or town where they attended high school AND has no intention of doing so.

-If you moved away but returned to the town where you went to high school for any reason, you are not a townie.
-If you moved from your childhood town but only a couple of a towns away, you are not a townie.

Are you a townie or transplant and do you voluntarily interact with mostly townies or mostly transplants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 06:05 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
I live in Acton. I am a transplant. I like more townies than transplants in my particular town.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I live in Acton. I am a transplant. I like more townies than transplants in my particular town.
I am a recent transplant to Atkinson and it may be a little early for me to judge, but I think I will gravitate to the townies rather than the transplants as well. The townies are more likely to preserve what attracted me to Atkinson in the first place.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:18 PM

686 posts, read 1,137,538 times
Live in NYC but get to Cape Ann as often as I can in summer so I can't classify myself as either. I do own a home in Gloucester. Part of what attracted me to the area was the fact that you can have a CEO type talking to a fisherman at a bar and no one cares. Cool place and all the "townies" seem exceptionally nice. The term "townie" does sound derogatory to me even though I know the OP didn't mean it that way.

I love how the "townies" here think Boston is so far...30 miles from NYC is not even exurban.

Last edited by sfosyd; 07-10-2013 at 09:29 PM..

Old 07-10-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfosyd View Post
Live in NYC but get to Cape Ann as often as I can in summer so I can't classify myself as either. I do own a home in Gloucester.
I now realize I overlooked dual residency.

Quote:
Part of what attracted me to the area was the fact that you can have a CEO type talking to a fisherman at a bar and no one cares. Cool place and all the "townies" seem exceptionally nice.
I find my interactions with townies vary by locale. In Maine the situation was similar to how you describe Gloucester. While in the Lowell suburbs I tended to feel tension between myself and the townies. In southern NH I detect no real differences between transplants and townies outside of political leanings and expectations from government.

Quote:
The term "townie" does sound derogatory to me even though I know the OP didn't mean it that way.
That is correct. I could not think of a synonym for townie

Old 07-10-2013, 10:02 PM

[quote=AtkinsonDan;30425475That is correct. I could not think of a synonym for townie[/quote]

Locals?

Old 07-11-2013, 05:58 AM

387 posts, read 915,936 times
My close friends are all transplants, even though most of them have lived here 10+ years. Some grew up in Brookline or Newton and now live in Cambridge/Somerville, but they aren't "townies" by your definition.

For whatever reason, I don't know any people my age (early 30s) who grew up in Medford and still live here. All of the locals I know (neighbors, shop owners) are in their late 40s and up. That may be more of a sign of gentrification than anything, though.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:34 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,909,169 times
IMO, the most annoying species are transplants that want to make their new town like the place they used to live.

With the amount of data out there, nothing about a new town should be a surprise to you.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
IMO, the most annoying species are transplants that want to make their new town like the place they used to live.
Super rep to MW for this post. Couldn't agree more.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:48 AM

837 posts, read 1,224,954 times
Although I've lived in my town for over 40 years, I'm not considered a townie by other townies because I wasn't born here.

Back in those days most towns around here had more of the "townie" mentality. There still is some, but gentrification has had a lot to do with diluting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts