Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2013, 03:09 PM

3 posts, read 7,868 times

Advertisements

I know these questions should be directed to the RMV but I am currently out of state and the RMV for some reason never picks up their phone lines.

I recently bought a new car in New Jersey to use in Mass where I live most of the year for college. The thing is when we bought it we made the mistake of getting all the paperwork (bill of sale etc) in my dad's name and my parent's address in my home state. Now I want to register it under my own name in my Mass residence I am not sure what to do. Would the RMV let me register it under my own name only if my dad is present?

Also a different question, do they allow you to register a car without a Mass license if you plan to get one in the future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 03:43 PM

4,620 posts, read 4,887,043 times
You need

1: A RMV-1 from your insurance company, in your name.
2: A MVU-26 form. Your dad signs it, you sign it.
3: 2 hours free to sit in the RMV
4: $100

The MVU-26 form is a "sales tax exemption form", that says your dad gave you the car - you also need the NJ title signed over to you, etc. Essentially, it says because you got the car from your immediate family, you don't have to pay sales tax on it.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:20 PM

Would the mvu 26 work? We haven't registered or applied for title yet.we only have thr paperwork yo apply for a titlr under his name. so my dad technically doesn't have a title to gift

Old 07-16-2013, 07:12 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,079,863 times
You need the title in either you or your dad's name to register the car.

Is the title filled in with buyer information yet? If not, put your name as the buyer and title/register the car. If the title is filled out with your dad's name, I'm pretty sure you'll have to title it in his name and then transfer it over to you.

The only good a bill of sale does is show the purchase price. But MA will tax you based on the retail price if it's higher than the sale price. So if the bill of sale has your father's name on it, just don't bring it with you (this is assuming you can title the car direct in your name). A bill of sale isn't required when you have a signed title.

Last edited by raveabouttoast; 07-16-2013 at 07:25 PM..

Old 07-16-2013, 09:48 PM

Ah, can I just cross it out and fill in my name?

Old 07-17-2013, 06:44 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,079,863 times
If you did that, you would need to then fill out a title change form, have the seller sign it, and get it notarized.

Are you still in contact with the seller? This could be an option, but I would fill out the form first, make sure the seller signs it. THEN cross out your dad's name and write in your name on the title. If you change the title first and aren't able to get the form filled out, you're going to have a lot of fun dealing with the RMV.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:06 PM

29 posts, read 45,859 times
If moving to MA, you need to either have the seller apply for a new title and then sign the new title over to you instead of your Dad (which could take weeks) or have your Father register and insure the car and ultimately sign it over to you.

If MA isn't going to be your permanent home, keep the NJ plates and insurance.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:28 AM

404 posts, read 826,376 times
IIRC on the back of a title there are a number of places for the car to change hands (like lines set up for 3 or 4 sales of the car) if the title is already signed over to your dad from whomever can't your dad just immediately sign it over to you in the next set of transfer lines? Someone somewhere would still need to pay sales tax to somewhere though. This is all moot of there is a lien on the car, I am assuming he didnt take out a loan for the car.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:45 AM

29 posts, read 45,859 times
SoFresh99 - Only the top part of the back page of the MA title is for a transfer between private parties. The rest if for reassignments from dealers. If the title has been signed over to the Father, he either needs to register it in his name and then transfer it to the son or go to the original owner and have them get a new title to sign over to the son.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,093 times
Buying a new car in Massachusetts and want to register in Connecticut .the dealer says the customer must do it.what forms and closet DMV to Mass
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts