Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 04:32 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,356,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Why is it surprising to anybody that pretty White boys can be nut-job killers too?
I think I'll boycott them for their latest cover pic: those fossilized musicians who can't stop touring and haven't put out any memorable new material since the '80s. Yeah, that'll show 'em!
Change the channel if you don't like what you're watching, rocket scientists.

As soon as you made this about race, you negated your final passive aggressive statement claiming intellectual superiority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 06:06 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
I don't know how to feel. It's all very emotional for me - had I not had to go into work that day because of a conference later on in the week, I would have been in between the two bombs with some friends. I then at an event with the conference at the Stata Center at MIT (the building where Sgt. Collier was assasinated) Thursday night and missed the shooting by 15 minutes. Had I parked where I initially planned on parking, I would have been close to the carjacking. I'm guessing a Jewish American girl wouldn't get quite the same treatment as the Chinese guy, who thinks he got off because he wasn't American. Sgt. Collier was a neighbor a few years ago and I pass by his house every day on my way to work. Krystal Campell was a Medford native many of the photos of the funeral procession feature my street.

So, for me, the cover evokes very serious trauma.

On the other hand, I think many, many, many people forget that the image was taken by Dzhokhar himself some time before the bombings. A lot of the outrage I have seen is that Rolling Stone had a photo shoot with the bomber - which is absolutely not the case.

I don't read RS often, but the journalism tends to be quite good. I would love to read the article - I'm sure it's very well written. The spin with the photo combined with a lot of other-blaming (his parents "failed him", he "fell" into Islam) on the cover really burns my butt. I'll wait until it leaks online somewhere.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:32 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,793,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Why is it surprising to anybody that pretty White boys can be nut-job killers too?
I think I'll boycott them for their latest cover pic: those fossilized musicians who can't stop touring and haven't put out any memorable new material since the '80s. Yeah, that'll show 'em!
Change the channel if you don't like what you're watching, rocket scientists.
This is a large part of why I love the Interwebzzz.

I sometimes forget that outside my circle there is a whole world of morons.

Thank you for reminding me.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:59 AM

146 posts, read 189,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
Have y'all heard about this?

Boston Bomber: How Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Fell Into Radical Islam | Culture News | Rolling Stone

I found out about it on Rolling Stone's FB and they are getting a beating right now. A group has been made called "Boycott Rolling Stone Magazine for their latest cover" if you guys want to join.
Instead of boycotting I suggest ask them to put on front page pictures of 100s of thousands civilians killed by US bombings in Muslim countries in the last decade or 2 - let's see who looks more "terrorist" after that: the US or that young boy.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-18-2013 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: Rude

Old 07-18-2013, 09:53 AM

29 posts, read 45,892 times
At the very least, Rolling Stone is showing that it is insensitive. He's a terrorist, not a rock star. Treat him accordingly. A photo of him being handcuffed would have been more appropriate. I won't read the article, applaud the decision by many local stores not to display it and think that now we all need to move on.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:07 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,558,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk24 View Post
At the very least, Rolling Stone is showing that it is insensitive. He's a terrorist, not a rock star. Treat him accordingly. A photo of him being handcuffed would have been more appropriate. I won't read the article, applaud the decision by many local stores not to display it and think that now we all need to move on.

I agree, shackles around waist, hand-cuffed behind his back, and leg irons would be more appropriate.

Comparing him to Jim Morrison is preposterous.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:11 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,558,876 times
The sniper should have took the shot and we would not have this circus.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:31 PM

296 posts, read 532,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk24 View Post
I won't read the article, applaud the decision by many local stores not to display it and think that now we all need to move on.
Sorry but I think that's the last thing that needs to happen.

It is complicated, the cover does a great job of presenting a very complex situation and it certainly brings up a lot of emotions in people but i think that's a good thing.

The US needs to take a serious and rational look at mental health issues and terrorism and putting his face on the front will get people to read the article and learn something. the cover is advertising for the article. people are gonna be talking about this

Old 07-18-2013, 08:31 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,504,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal8 View Post
Instead of boycotting I suggest ask them to put on front page pictures of 100s of thousands civilians killed by US bombings in Muslim countries in the last decade or 2 - let's see who looks more "terrorist" after that: the US or that young boy.
So basically, we might as well put our troops on the cover for being murderers? Well hell, my husband would be right on the front page since he would have contributed to those deaths as he served 3 deployments as a US Marine. By the way, many civilians are at fault for being killed. For the most part, they were always given ample time to get out of an area before it was attacked by US forces. If they didn't move out, it wasn't our responsibility if they were injured/killed.

Unless you are prior military/law enforcement, you don't have room to talk.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:40 PM

2,722 posts, read 6,111,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
Unless you are prior military/law enforcement, you don't have room to talk.
Wow. So much for that supposed "freedom" your husband has done 3 tours protecting eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts