U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2013, 07:53 AM

35 posts, read 44,744 times

Advertisements

Hello, any suggestion of public transportation to get to NY city from Boston area. A friend of mine told me the bus takes about 4hours. How about Amtrak? I just don't like to drive to go there. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 08:07 AM

3,750 posts, read 3,995,794 times
You really have 2 options: take the bus, or take the train.

I have taken both modes many times to/from NYC and have had mixed experiences on both.

The bus will be the cheapest option and there are several bus lines to choose from. Depending on traffic and how fast the driver goes, the ride could take anywhere from 3 hours and 45 minutes, to well over 7 hours. At least that's been my experience, but have had friends enjoy a nice 8 hour and 30 minute rides.

I would recommend the Bolt Bus, or the Greyhound/Peter Pan. Megabus uses double decker buses which means a slower ride and I would avoid it. Not sure if you've ever taken a bus, but it is not too bad. Not the most comfortable but if it isn't full and you get your own row, it is fine.

I believe there is a new luxury bus line that operates out of Alwewife, but have not taken it, or know of anyone that has. It maybe something to look into if comfort is a big concern.

The train will be the most comfortable and fastest option. It will also be the most expensive option. The Acela is the best, with the newest cars and least number of stops which means you get to NYC faster than the Regional service. The only real benefit of the Acela is that it makes a lot less stops. I have heard the train can only go it's full top speed for something like 18, or 19 miles of the total trip.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:11 AM

543 posts, read 1,134,278 times
I'm with Tam88 on the train. Much more comfortable and you can walk around. I have also done them both

Old 07-18-2013, 08:33 AM

693 posts, read 894,544 times
Well, "best" depends on what you want to maximize and what you're willing to let go.

To save money, take the bus. For roomy comfort and best chance of getting through bad weather, take the train, and for some pampering (for which you will pay extra, please note) take the Acela. For fastest travel, you can fly from Boston to any of the NY airports, though once you add up the time to get to and from the airports, the time you'd save is less.

Is Megabus really slower than the other bus lines? Their buses seem to cruise along at highway speed. And if there's a traffic jam, everyone's equal anyway.

When the Acela service started, someone said the name came from "Amtrak Customers Expect Late Arrivals".

Old 07-18-2013, 08:43 AM

35 posts, read 44,744 times
Thank you so much. I prefer the faster way of getting there. So, I will take the train. I'm visiting family in Boston and NY for few days only.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:15 AM

4,844 posts, read 9,881,472 times
I like Acela express because it's the fastest (depending on where you're coming from and where you're going), but it's pretty expensive. I usually pay around $109 or 119 each way depending on when I book it. There's also a route with more stops which is about half the price, but it takes almost as long as the bus. I have a friend who frequently flies, but that's only recommended if your destination is near the airport in NY.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:11 AM
bUU

12,084 posts, read 8,959,575 times
Another vote for the train. After recent news stories, I'm not convinced that the Commonwealth can assure our safety in buses to NY, Philadelphia or DC.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:09 AM

4,771 posts, read 11,612,124 times
I prefer the train hands down - comfortable seating for my tall self, freedom to move around, even a snack bar.
But the bus is cheaper, and sometimes that matters most. By sheer happy coincidence I found myself making two trips to NYC last month when normally I have to wait for years before my next chance. Each time I opted for Bolt Bus, then because of sold-out return trips on my most recent excursion I went with Megabus. BIG difference. You could set your watch by Bolt Bus. And the pick-up/drop-off location was fantastic, 34th St between 7th and 8th. By comparison the competing carrier was a mega-BUST. One had to schlep almost all the way to the Hudson River and then get the sensation of being in a rodeo's cattle chutes. Vertical signs on the not-wide sidewalk carried the names of the destination cities, so you knew which long line to stand in after wending your way through the crowd. My bus to Boston left 35-40 minutes behind schedule. Then it was announced that we had to make a refueling stop. (Wouldn't it seem that the buses could have their tanks filled between trips? Or does that make too much sense?) We passengers vegged or milled around a dark parking lot for some twenty minutes or so before we were on the road again. Between the delayed departure and the gas stop we didn't make it to Boston until after the T had shut down. I'd carefully planned for that not to happen. By the time I paid for my cab ride home the net transportation cost had exceeded that of a train ticket.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:05 PM

3,133 posts, read 5,474,515 times
Fly: JetBlue for $59
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts