Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 10:35 AM

143 posts, read 300,247 times

Advertisements

For starters 3 monopolize the
Town I live in. The 2 cousins are fighting and today the board of directors are going to decide and if they do go the way I heard it will, then it could actually paralyze
Market basket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 11:48 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,414,508 times
Yes, for those of us who shop there, the infighting there is a concern.

Here's an article in the Salem News that explains it:
Our view: The battle for Market Basket » Opinion » SalemNews.com, Salem, MA

Frankly, it seems like a very well-run business that pleases its employees and its customers. Everything is going right, so who needs any changes? Still, I bet the managers at Stop & Shop are hoping it turns out very very badly.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:21 PM

837 posts, read 1,225,366 times
I was at the Brockton MB earlier today and I saw/heard nothing about it. Perhaps it's because MB is a newer chain down that way and therefore the employees there don't have as long a history as the ones in MB's stomping ground?

Old 07-18-2013, 03:15 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
My husband signed the petition yesterday. MB is one of the few food store chains that still treats the employees well and it shines though to how the employees treat the customers. No frills either: no plastic discount cards or other gimicks. Just cheaper prices.

They seem to work hard to determine the best buys and will discontinue any item if it becomes overpriced. I have seen them re-introduce the product when the price comes down to something sensible.

What I read in the paper was that they want the stockholders to get more money. That's what the other cousin would do and the vote was to have taken place today in Andover. I hope we don't lose MB as a good store.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:15 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,665,817 times
This whole DeMoulas family/ownership/stock, etc. thing played out in court some 10-12 years ago. Now it is simply a business decision. To keep the cousins straight, Mike's (Telemachus) son Arthur was nicknamed "Ditto" as he looked and behaved like his father. Mike was tough and a task master also at the same time, he was fair and rewarding. His son learned the same lessons.

If I had a say, I would go for the present leadership of Ditto.

PS

I know the players.

PPS

Do not call him Ditto to his face........LOL

Last edited by accufitgolf; 07-18-2013 at 05:05 PM..

Old 07-18-2013, 04:57 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,641,530 times
I have been in Market Basket in Westford several times this week. It is a great new store with the best employees, sparkling clean and all kinds of food. I did not notice anyone with a clipboard asking for signatures at this store? I hope it stays the same, as this is my only grocery now, besides occasionally trips to WF. Although higher priced, I like WF for the same reasons, happy well treated employees, high commitment to quality product.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:43 PM

837 posts, read 1,225,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I have been in Market Basket in Westford several times this week. It is a great new store with the best employees, sparkling clean and all kinds of food. I did not notice anyone with a clipboard asking for signatures at this store?
Yeah, I want to say that the clipboard/petition thing is happening primarily in the DeMoulas' backyard -- i.e., the older stores where the longer-standing employees would have much to lose if the board decides to oust him.

Last I heard they're still in discussion.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:36 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,647 times
I've been trying to get jobs there for the longest time, but it seems you have to know somebody to get in. Shame that such a good company is poisoned with nepotism.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:30 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,641,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xo_kizzy_xo View Post
Yeah, I want to say that the clipboard/petition thing is happening primarily in the DeMoulas' backyard -- i.e., the older stores where the longer-standing employees would have much to lose if the board decides to oust him.

Last I heard they're still in discussion.
Interesting. I did hear from somebody several years ago that there has always been some kind of political Market Basket vs. DeMoulas tension within the ranks. Westford still has two MBs, the new and the old one. I wouldn't be surprised based on what you say that if I went into old MB, some petitioners would be around.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:12 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,997,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
. . .
Frankly, it seems like a very well-run business that pleases its employees and its customers. . ..
Yes. Agree. They provide good prices, no gimmicks, and old-fashioned service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
. . . Westford still has two MBs, the new and the old one. . . .
Still? I still shop at the old MB on a regular basis. It is my regular grocery. The new one, a block away, has more sq ft, better selection, but imo poorer parking. I still use the old one. Strange to me that they keep both open. Anyway, I'm happy. I've never seen any ppl with petitions or the like to sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts