Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 08:35 PM

5 posts, read 12,668 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I live in Fall River and attend Mass. College of Pharmacy in Boston - it's in the Longwood Medical Area of the city, on Longwood Ave. off of Huntington. Over the past ten weeks, I've been commuting back and forth from Fall River to the school for class. I've commuted during rush hour times, and while it hasn't been the greatest experience, it has certainly been doable.

However, I plan on continuing commuting for the Fall semester. I have 8:00 am classes a few days of the week, and I plan to leave Fall River by 5:00 each morning to arrive to the school before 8:00 am. Over the summer, I would leave at approx. 5:50 am for my 8:00 am and it worked (for the most part ). For the fall though, (please correct me if I am wrong), but I feel there will be increased traffic over the summer months.

If I leave by 5:00 in the morning, I don't see how I would not make it for my 8:00 am classes, but as I've never done this before, I just want to be sure that I'd make it for these classes on a regular basis. I am most certainly prepared to leave at this time but don't want to be that crazy driver that's late for class 90% of the time.

By leaving at 5, I feel that I could get up to the top of 24 quite quickly (I'm guessing there's less traffic that early)? , which would still leave me a plentiful amount of time to reach the school and sit in traffic on 93?

I'm just looking for some reassurance here as I'm a young driver but I feel that I'm getting a grasp of how the traffic situation works between 24 and 93 into the city...as I've never driven here in the Fall time, I just want to be sure this is doable.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 08:53 PM

Should this be moved to MA general? Sorry if posted in the wrong area.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:58 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
Have you done a trial run yet? I think that would be a good start.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:28 PM

Yes but only in the summer. I'm wondering if the Fall usually has a significant increase in traffic?

Old 07-25-2013, 03:22 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack0205 View Post
Yes but only in the summer. I'm wondering if the Fall usually has a significant increase in traffic?
Yes of course with all the students returning to the colleges and the younger in-town students riding the school busses and fewer people taking those three day weekends on Monday and Friday, there will be much more traffic. As a rule of thumb, I would multiply what you clocked on the dry run x one and a half at least. Not a South Shore person, so hopefully you'll hear from someone closer by.

Have you considered driving to Attleboro or one of the nearby commuter rail stops and taking the train in? Maybe could get some study or sleep time in? Good luck.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:36 PM

546 posts, read 1,377,114 times
That is as tough as a commute there is and yes, the Fall will pick up a bit. Trial run for sure, I would be leaving around 4 to 4:30 and get there earlier, have coffee, breakfast, then brace yourself for the trip home. After 3PM it just gets crazy and if there is one accident or pullover, you will be a man in waiting. Sorry to burst your bubble, but many others are now leaving earlier and earlier for thier daily trips.

I worked in Downtown Boston and would get to work at 5:00 AM, have my coffee and breakfast at work (had the luxury of my own office), then be out the door at 2:30PM just to beat traffic. I considered myself lucky at that time

Old 07-26-2013, 09:00 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,339 times
I don't have your exact commute, but summer cuts about a third off my commute time. Things will pick up in the fall and if it is raining or snowing then things get even worse. I second the idea of driving to a commuter rail station. I would think that any cost associated with it would be negated by the saving on gas, parking and wear and tear on your car, not to mention your sanity. Also I imagine as a student you will have no shortage of reading material to keep you busy during the ride.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:38 PM

Thank you all for your replies.

@Bob, thanks, I do plan on leaving around that time.

Does anyone have any suggestions on avoiding traffic? My classes get out around 4:45. During the summer, I dropped off my friend in Dedham, and then only had to drive down 95/93 a few miles to get to 24. It beat out driving through the city to drive all the way down 93 from Boston.

Looking at Google maps, one of the first exists on 93 towards boston right after getting off of 24 is RT 28 (Randolph Ave)? Could that be used to get into the city directly to longwood medical area? Sometimes the traffic is so bad in the mornings on 93 I am thinking this could be a quicker way in?

Thanks !!

Last edited by Jack0205; 08-23-2013 at 11:47 PM..

Old 08-24-2013, 06:03 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack0205 View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions on avoiding traffic?
Yes, rent a room closer to or in Boston.

Quote:
My classes get out around 4:45. During the summer, I dropped off my friend in Dedham, and then only had to drive down 95/93 a few miles to get to 24. It beat out driving through the city to drive all the way down 93 from Boston.
95 south from Route 9 at 5 pm during the school year is only slightly better than taking 93 (I'm assuming this is how you drove to Dedham). Your best bet would be to leave Boston closer to 7 pm, but honestly at that point you will be torturing yourself, and you'll be spending so little time in Fall River every night that it defeats the purpose of commuting.

Quote:
Looking at Google maps, one of the first exists on 93 towards boston right after getting off of 24 is RT 28 (Randolph Ave)? Could that be used to get into the city directly to longwood medical area? Sometimes the traffic is so bad in the mornings on 93 I am thinking this could be a quicker way in?

Thanks !!
There are a lot of traffic lights and 28 goes through some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the city. It might be faster, it might not. If you think the traffic on 93 is bad right now, you are in for a shock after Labor Day.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:03 PM

28 posts, read 43,137 times
Don't do this to yourself. How long do you think you can keep up with leaving your house before 5am and returning at 7 (if you're lucky)? I am occasionally driving up from brockton but take 95 in the AM. 24 has not been bad at all recently but it does get busier in the fall. I think it generally gets busy around 6am. 93 is a nightmare, and all roads around it are bad, i don't think that taking side streets will save you much time. I agree, use the commuter rail, at least you'll have less stress and more time to study.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts