Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 11:11 PM

18,723 posts, read 33,385,615 times

Advertisements

The house in Sudbury might well be on a septic system, not town sewerage (as are many of the more rural towns). This also leads to larger lots, but in order for a title to pass hands, the system has to pass "Title 5" standards. If it doesn't, this might be why the house isn't moving if it's otherwise reasonably priced, etc. Ask the realtor if it's on septic and what its Title 5 status is. If it needs a new septic system, that could be included in the negotiations, something like "New system permitted and approved" and could cost up to $50K, espcially for such a large house. New and newer houses are on septic systems, too. Remember if you have to put in a septic system, it tears up the property and you'd need to re-do any landscaping, too.
I think Milton or Newton would suit very well, although Newton isn't going to have the large lot. Best wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 05:44 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyHoney View Post
What's the scoop on Braintree, Walpole, and Canton?

Found some beautiful homes in these areas, but how do these towns fit the bill with regards to the kindness-factor? I know I'm asking you all to generalize, but hopefully, no one will take it the wrong way...I'm just trying to learn the terrain.

Braintree can be a little townie. It's a big sports town so kids get to know kids in other parts of town. Add to that it being retail heavy and on the red line -kids are allowed to run around town from a younger age than they are further out in the burbs. Last fall there were 2 major issues with Braintree kids taking the trains into Boston for some high school athletic events. Smashed windows on a train and drunk and lewd behavior so extreme a train was taken out of service. Some kids were pc'd others arrested. It was out of hand but not unusual. Those kids grow up fast. I actually found the entire south shore was fast paced and I personally (along with some other moms who held similar parenting philosophies) felt kids were given freedoms that were not age appropriate. I am aware it goes on everywhere as someone will undoubtedly chime in but having kids, you see the culture in certain communities and realize that in some towns it is just more pervasive.

If you would consider Walpole I would strongly suggest Wrentham, Franklin and/or Mansfield. Good schools, lots of new homes and very child friendly. My boys' played sports in those town and we were very impressed with Franklin especially.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:55 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
The house in Sudbury might well be on a septic system, not town sewerage (as are many of the more rural towns). This also leads to larger lots, but in order for a title to pass hands, the system has to pass "Title 5" standards. If it doesn't, this might be why the house isn't moving if it's otherwise reasonably priced, etc. Ask the realtor if it's on septic and what its Title 5 status is. If it needs a new septic system, that could be included in the negotiations, something like "New system permitted and approved" and could cost up to $50K, espcially for such a large house. New and newer houses are on septic systems, too. Remember if you have to put in a septic system, it tears up the property and you'd need to re-do any landscaping, too.
According to the listing I looked at, they haven't performed Title V yet. The house is about 6 years old so I would be surprised if there was a problem with the septic system, but it's certainly not impossible. Something like that would definitely have to be disclosed though and there was nothing noted in the listing about it.

Having looked at the listing, I would say the biggest issue was that the current owner originally paid well over what the current value of the property is and when they went to sell it way over priced it. The price recently came down quite a bit though.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:34 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,811,272 times
Quote:
@Parsec and @MikePRU,

I imagine so, as the market seems to be getting stronger everywhere. That house has been listed for quite some time, I've even contacted the realtor with a blunt "what's wrong with it", but no reply yet.
There probably is nothing wrong with it. Like others have said, it just sat for a long time probably due to being overpriced. Also, there is much less demand for homes in the $1-2 million range. A buddy of mine sold his home in Sudbury last year for nearly $2 million and it took quite a long time to sell. 6 months or even a year or more isn't uncommon for these types of custom homes because the typical buyer knows exactly what they want and might not settle on something that requires too much work to remodel to their liking.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:45 PM

42 posts, read 110,820 times
Invaluable info! You guys are helping me, immensely, as I sort through all these areas. Thanks.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
If you would consider Walpole I would strongly suggest Wrentham, Franklin and/or Mansfield. Good schools, lots of new homes and very child friendly. My boys' played sports in those town and we were very impressed with Franklin especially.
Great! Saw a wonderful home in Wrentham, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Your kind, gentle, sunny place would be West Concord. It has the most charming walkable downtown with its own organic food store, hobby and crafts, crepe and real Italian gelato and cappuccino place, 5 & Dime, Nashoba Bakery with artisan bread, Nia studio and other unique indie stores. Honestly, an occasional commute to Dedham from there would not be too bad. I have done it in 45 min to 1 hr from Acton.
This place sounds awesome! Though, I think the commute my be a little much when my hubby has to go into the deeper parts of Boston. Thanks!

Old 08-01-2013, 07:19 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,811,272 times
Here's a piece of advice from someone who has commuted in rush hour to visit clients in just about every town between Boston, Worcester, Providence RI and Concord NH. The best overall commute would be from Rt-30 Weston with access to both I-90 (the Pike) and I-95 (128 as locals call it). That's the point where you will hit the least amount of traffic if you travel 128 in either direction (most of the traffic on 128 is heading towards the Pike from either direction and a few miles towards I-93 both South and North of Boston). Also, you have easy access to the Pike if you need to head into Boston or away from Boston. Furthermore, it's relatively close to Dedham if your husband needs to get into the office after a client business meeting to get something done. He can shoot right home after rush hour in 15-20 min. The towns closest to this intersection would be Weston, Newton (western part), Wellesley and parts of Wayland, Lincoln and Needham. Aside from good schools, this is a big reason why these towns are also in the top-10 most expensive towns in MA to live in.

On a side note, this is why I chose to live in Natick 5 years ago - it had the best overall commuting location and schools for under $400k. Prices are much higher in Natick nowadays because everyone else finally realized what I saw 5 years ago If price is no object I would look into one of those towns mentioned above.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:21 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Quote:
Great! Saw a wonderful home in Wrentham, too!
Wrentham has a great outlet mall:

Wrentham Village Premium Outlets

When I lived down that way I did all my shopping there. If you enjoy bargain shopping it can't be beat in this state.

I'm surprised you'd consider Wrentham though. If you think W. Concord is "out there," I would imagine you'd feel the same way about Wrentham.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
On a side note, this is why I chose to live in Natick 5 years ago - it had the best overall commuting location and schools for under $400k. Prices are much higher in Natick nowadays because everyone else finally realized what I saw 5 years ago If price is no object I would look into one of those towns mentioned above.
Can you tell me a bit more about Natick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I'm surprised you'd consider Wrentham though. If you think W. Concord is "out there," I would imagine you'd feel the same way about Wrentham.
Yes, they both seemed a farther out than I had intended to consider, but I kept Wrentham on my radar just because it was a little closer to Dedham. This was before knowing the scoop on the commutes, though. It might not be a viable option after all.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:19 PM

404 posts, read 826,729 times
I am just going to jump in here and say that I would advise you to avoid the towns that may be described as "working class" or "townie" like Braintree, Walpole, Canton, etc. Any place in greater Boston that has a recent history of being working class is going to serve up way more overt racism than something metrowest (sudbury, concord, acton, etc.) that is old and "yankee." Which is not to say they won't be racist, just that they'll have the good manners not to show it. Milton is a non-metrowest exception due to it's history as a middle/upper class black friendly suburb but I think Milton is on the decline and less desireable than it once was.

There is nowhere where people will be sunny or nice or kind or even talk to you, for the most part, so you can cross that off the list now. Sudbury has the most down-to-earth Boston exiles as it has always been the most affordable decent-schooled metrowest suburb so folks will tend to be nicer to one another there since there is less of "we've lived here 8 generations and we aren't interested in making new friends" vibe. Lexington would be fine as well but definitely a more vanity pressured "keeping up with the joneses" environment than Lincoln, Sudbury or Concord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts