Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 01:16 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,525,521 times

Advertisements

I know is like 40 miles away from Boston, but is it a good place to live? Is there stuff to do? Is it easy to get to Boston from Hudson, traffic wise? Whatever info you can give mw I would really appreciate it!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 01:51 PM

967 posts, read 4,784,500 times
Sure thing. It was an old mill town and now is mostly family neighborhoods with a mix of some high-tech companies, including one of the Intel facilities. There's easy access to Rt 495 but getting to Boston from there might be a bit of a hassle, as you'd either need to go down 495 to the Pike or possibly connect to the Pike via backroads or Rt 20 further along, neither of which would be a quick ride. I'm guessing maybe an hour when there's no traffic. There are some nice parts of Hudson and you can get more for your money there than some places closer in to Boston. The schools are considered good, though not as good as the boroughs nearby. Are you looking to rent there? There's a pretty townhome complex there called Assabet Village and from time to time I've seen rentals there. I like it because it's quiet and treed and though the units vary, some of them are quite pretty and updated. I find downtown Hudson depressing. There are a few nice places that have cropped up there - a French restaurant and a little boutique jewelry store but it still has its fill of pawn shops and sort of downtrodden looking stores. As far as stuff to do, what kind of things are you looking for?

Old 11-13-2007, 02:58 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,484,195 times
I agree it is not the easiest to go into Boston. During rush hour, Rt495 backs up because of entrance to Rt90.

Our former governor (Cellucci) is still living there.
The town is improving...
School is getting better.
Lots of shopping, Right next to Solomon Pond Mall, Target and Walmart in Marlborough; 3 major supermarkets in town. There are new retail stores (Home depot?) going in Rt62/R495.
Downtown is trying to compete with big chain stores...
Very close to 2 major skating rink in Marlborough.
Very quiet once you get out of main streets.
Lots of restaurants.
The bike/walking path just finshed.
No night life.
It has a large number of Portuguese in town.
Since it is a small town, you'll find everyone is some one's relative. Most of the town is owned by a few families.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:40 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,739,063 times
My parents and sister and her family live there. I did for a short time before I got married.
I agree with the downtown area....depressing. It hasn't changed that much...so hard to drive through.

Ferjulian's is pretty nice. My parents live around there.

Anyone remember The Poor Farm Lounge???? It is now a storage facility.
I got married at St. Michaels and my reception was at the Elks. (Many moons ago)

Old 11-13-2007, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
I agree with the downtown area....depressing. It hasn't changed that much...so hard to drive through.
When did you last visit your parents?

I agree that the rotary is hard to drive through during rush hour. However, I disagree with depressing downtown. Many improvement were made recently. Many downtown shops have problem competing with big box shops like Walmart. There are very few downtowns that can prosper like Wellesley. Just look at other downtowns like Marlboro, Framingham.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:55 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I think the Portuguese are actually a lot of Brazilians. That's the new immigrant group in towns like Maynard and Hudson, moving up from Framingham. Restaurants with huge portions and heavy on the meat!
I can't think of why someone would want to live in Hudson and commute to Boston, especially if not in a family with kids. It's not very convenient, and there's not much to do, as far as I can see. When I was in my 30s, living in Cambridge and becoming a technical writer, I interviewed once in Hudson (Stratus) and felt like I'd fallen off the edge of the known world. Of course, that's when I felt you needed shots and a passport to live west of 128...

Old 11-14-2007, 04:07 AM

100 posts, read 474,887 times
you need to be more specific in what you're asking and/or why. Hudson has a mix of low tech and high tech manufacturing. There is also a mix of housing from high end neighborhoods to very low end neighborhoods. The town has necessity shopping and several grocery stores. There is the Solomon Mall nearby, Walmart, and fairly easy access to Framingham. Access to Boston is indeed tough and most go to ROute 2 and in that way as the Pike and 495 can be a horror during commuting times (not that Route 2 is a panacea, just the lesser of two evils). Hudson has a mixed population in the schools due to its nature of having both high income and low income residents. In all I would say its a good mixed town with all one needs and access to anthing you want. It is definitely a manufacturing town still (and was from the start) and that offers a variety of jobs for any skill level.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I think the Portuguese are actually a lot of Brazilians. That's the new immigrant group in towns like Maynard and Hudson, moving up from Framingham. Restaurants with huge portions and heavy on the meat!
The older generation is actually from Portugal. Many new immigrant are Brazilians. They decided to go to Hudson because both Portuguese and Brazilian speaks the same language. The ones I know are hard working, family oriented, friendly, sometimes shy, and are the nicest people. Great working class ethics.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:20 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,739,063 times
Default Hudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty View Post
When did you last visit your parents?

I agree that the rotary is hard to drive through during rush hour. However, I disagree with depressing downtown. Many improvement were made recently. Many downtown shops have problem competing with big box shops like Walmart. There are very few downtowns that can prosper like Wellesley. Just look at other downtowns like Marlboro, Framingham.

I try to get there once a week...they are elderly.
You are probably right about downtown..I don't know much about the economy there. I really cannot pay attention as it is difficult to drive through there...so tight when you are not used to it.
Do you know that the Walmart there is so much cheaper than Quincy/Weymouth and Abington?
I have found that some of the products I buy here are about $3.00 cheaper in Hudson.
I also love to shop at Price Chopper. Much better buys in the Metrowest.
I have been in the downtown area of Framingham (because of the hospital) and you are right.

Have a good day!

Old 11-14-2007, 06:51 AM

575 posts, read 3,693,922 times
I remember the Poor Farm, and Monahan's. They were very popular watering holes in the mid 70's.

Hudson on the whole is depressing. Main street needs some serious updating and the roads are awful. You pay for your own trash pickup.

They seem to plow OK in the winter BUT in the spring I see the dirt sweeper man making circles around the main street rotary, sitting in the diner allot, and they do a lousy job sweeping. Broad Street & especially Washington street are a poor examples of a first impression. I find Hudson to be a filthy town and the walking path has caused people on bikes and walking to think they can just step out in front of traffic at any point & don't have any rules of the road to obey.

My taxes went up another $300 last year to pay for that new high school and that really pisses me off. Pay for your own kids education. I'd rather pay for good, clean roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts