Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 04:18 PM

37 posts, read 92,671 times

Advertisements

I've a job offer in Holliston. My wife will most likely find a job in Boston. We are looking to live some where in the middle of Holliston and Boston. Right now I'm thinking Natick and Wellesley. But Wellesley might be too expensive.

What type of housing can I afford (renting and buying)? And where should I look?
  • I will be making $150k. If my wife finds a job, she will make $70-80k. But I'd like to find a place based on my salary alone.
  • We are in our early 30s. Super active and love the outdoors.
  • Love to be in a location where there are great dining options.

• We're currently renting a 1700 sq ft detach home for $1500/mth.
  • I'd like the house to be close to transit for wife to go into Boston.
  • We have no kids, so school isn't important.

Last edited by chewy7th; 08-20-2013 at 04:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 04:36 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
Either Wellesley or Newton would be perfect for you. Lots of restaurants and public transportation options in both. You can definitely afford something in either of those towns on your income. Needham has a great town center and would be worth a look too. Lots of nice state parks within driving distance from any of these such as Blue Hills Reservation and the Emerald Necklace around Jamaica Plain.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:38 PM

I'm thinking rather than try to split the commutes evenly, you might be better off taking advantage of the commuter rail for the Boston commute and staying closer to Holliston in a town such as Hopkinton or Westborough or even Franklin. All have quaint downtowns with breakfast spots and good shopping areas with eating places. Westborough old downtown has a bit more and you would also have all the route 9 and Worcester places easily at hand. Hopkinton State Park is full of activity for outdoors lovers. Other nearby parks include Callaghan State Park in Framingham, Garden of the Woods in Framingham and the areas around Uxbridge. I hear there are caves to explore and all kinds of nooks and crannies around there.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:00 PM

If I stayed closer to Holliston, how long is the commuter into Boston on the rail?

Old 08-20-2013, 10:24 PM

546 posts, read 1,376,928 times
I'm with 495 Neighbor on that one, or another option is to have only one of you travel and yeah, that commuter line is the balls, it will get you right into Boston. Holliston is a quaint place to live, but not sure of the pricing for places.

Welcome to the area and hope we are good to you

Old 08-21-2013, 06:13 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Either Wellesley or Newton would be perfect for you. Lots of restaurants and public transportation options in both. You can definitely afford something in either of those towns on your income. Needham has a great town center and would be worth a look too. Lots of nice state parks within driving distance from any of these such as Blue Hills Reservation and the Emerald Necklace around Jamaica Plain.
You changed your mind about your advice rather quickly

I guess where the OP wants to live depends on how much shopping/restaurants they're looking for. Yes, out near Holliston there are some nice shopping areas and quaint town centers plus you have easy access to Providence, RI from there. However, what you have access to closer to Boston is a whole different world. For some people what you'll find in the burbs just isn't sufficient. It might also be good to be closer to Boston in case a future job change brings you downtown. The commuter rail is way better than driving. You can find the train schedules on mbta.com but my guess is it will be a 40-50 minute ride from that area.

If you're interested in living closer to Boston, I would look at Newton, Needham, and Natick. My uncle lives in Holliston and I live in Needham. I've done the drive many times. It's pretty easy and all local routes.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:01 AM

Mike
What is home price difference b/t areas around Needham vs Holliston? I differently prefer closer to Boston but have to balance the proximity vs home prices/size. What can I buy/rent for 2000-2500?

Old 08-21-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy7th View Post

If I stayed closer to Holliston, how long is the commuter into Boston on the rail?
From Westborough, something like an hour, a good commute by Boston standards. (I am including driving to the train station and a ten minute walk to some destination around South Station in this estimate.)

Old 08-21-2013, 05:44 PM

Newton will have the most rentals and renters out of all the towns mentioned. Any town with many townhouses probably has many renters. Hopkinton, Franklin and Westborough have many townhouse communities. Franklin has an oversupply of townhomes, so it may be easy to get a rental or lease to buy there.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:35 PM

48 posts, read 69,595 times
I live in Holliston, on the Ashland side of town, and take the commuter rail from Ashland to Back Bay regularly. It's a little over an hour to get to Back Bay. My husband works in Cambridge and drives in- it takes him about 35 mins in the morning leaving at 5:30 and about 45 mins in the afternoon leaving at 3:15.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts