Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2008, 06:36 AM

1 posts, read 3,232 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Fall River and moved to Cape Cod when I was 17. I've lived here ever since, but moved to Melbourne,Florida last year for a change. My job on Merritt Island was a drag and the condo I lived in had too many young, annoying tenants. I also hated the 40 minute commute each way to work. I got frustrated and thought I missed the Cape, so I moved back, 3 months ago.

I have friends and family here, but I'd move back to Florida in a heartbeat.
At 53, Cape Cod is no place to be unemployed. Everything is expensive here and I realize now, that I wish I had never come back. Florida may not be the most perfect place, but it sure is alot cheaper and cleaner than Massachusetts. The roads are user-friendly, there's no excise tax, no yearly vehicle inspections and the biggie is there's no state income tax. The people down there, talk funny though.....they abuse the letter "R" in a big way.
If someone offered me a job in Florida, I'd pack tomorrow. Cape Cod is for wealthy retirees and not for the average, working or unemployed person!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 01:13 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,625,672 times
I grew up on the South Shore and most recently lived on Cape Cod (Bourne) for 8 years. I loved living on the Cape my first few years and then grew to hate it. I'm a single, young professional and that is the worst place for someone like me to live. I took a new job back in September that would allow me to leave MA. I've been traveling all over the country and now there is a possibility I'll be returning to MA for this job, but to Framingham. In a way I wouldn't mind because I would probably live in Boston or just outside of it which I have always dreamed of. I now believe in Karma.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:11 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,288 times
Default Mass never leaves you even though you may leave it......

I was born in Pittsfield and had grandparents in Dorchester, grew up in So. Cal and now live in suburban Chicago. I went, however, to college in Boston, and treasure my memories, both good and bad, that I have from the times that I spent in Boston.

My memories of Boston are very mixed; as a small kid during summers visiting my grandparents in their two family house I remember fried clams at Nantasket beach, lazy days at the cape, Filene's,and Howard Johnson's ice cream. Great memories. I also remember the racial change that came between one summer and the next to my mother's childhood neighborhood in Dorchester, my grandfather left for dead after a robbery near his home on the way to his grocery store, rocks thrown at us kids because we were now the only white family left there, the fire trucks horns on the way to nearby burning houses in the middle of the night, and us kids afraid that it would be our grandparent's house and us that would be the next one to burn.

Later, I returned to college in Boston, and remember great school experiences, love, Vermont skiing in winter, dancing at the Celebration Club, the Celtics dynasty and graduation. I also remember Steve's ice cream and the beginning of JP Licks. I also remember potholes that would destroy the alignment of my treasured Honda Accord, stolen cars, and crime.

20+ years later, I have now settled into a suburb that looks much like Wellesley, I love ice cream, and crave a good fried clam. I also secretly root for the Red Sox. The moral being that even though I may have left Boston, and now park my car instead of paaking it, Boston may never really totally leave me, for all its good and bad, and thankfully I guess that it never will.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:30 AM

24 posts, read 64,215 times
Smile carolynrick2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Did you know the "Toll House" burnt down, carolynrick? If I remember correctly, it's a Wendy's now! Sad to see.
Haven't check city-data in a long time!! Yes, I received an article from the local paper about it.......from a friend. I actually wrote a "letter to the editor" when I found out about Wendy's......pissed me off!!!!!

I see they have at least restored the "Toll House" sign and placed it back where it was before.

I read some of your threads and think you're from Plymouth....is that right? When I come up there to visit I stay with friends in Kingston, E. Wareham, Whitman and Carver. Getting ready to head up again in July....can't wait!!!!!

Old 06-11-2008, 01:49 PM

646 posts, read 2,667,663 times
I spent every summer from the time I was 6 to the time I was 19 at a Camp in Western Mass and fell in love with it.I went to school outside of Boston and loved that as well.I live in MD but will retire in about 8 years and I'm looking now and trying to sell the "Mrs" on moving there....I know the winters are cold but between April and Dec it's worth it.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:45 PM

Default carolynrick2004

I know the winters are cold but between April and Dec it's worth it.[/quote]

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-12-2008, 04:07 PM

113 posts, read 343,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
I know the winters are cold but between April and Dec it's worth it.
Totally AGREE!!! I moved to TN cause of my fiance's job and we so missed the snowy winters back up there..

Old 06-12-2008, 09:26 PM

830 posts, read 1,063,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MA_brnNrsd View Post
Totally AGREE!!! I moved to TN cause of my fiance's job and we so missed the snowy winters back up there..
Well if you like snow but I don't agree with April thru December. If I have to turn my heat on, it's too cold. This year the heat went on in October and if I hadn't run out of oil, I would have also turned my heat on in May.

So I would say that it is nice weather here between June and September.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:10 AM

Default carolynrick2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenAngel View Post
Well if you like snow but I don't agree with April thru December. If I have to turn my heat on, it's too cold. This year the heat went on in October and if I hadn't run out of oil, I would have also turned my heat on in May.

"So I would say that it is nice weather here between June and September."
It really is a trade-off, isn't it. Whether you want to deal with 90 degrees in FL for (and I'm going to be realistic here) approximately 5 months (and needing to run the A/C).........or cold in MA (40 degrees and below) for approximately 9 months. Have I got that right? I know I've got FL right. Still searching, questioning and semi-planning.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:33 AM

469 posts, read 1,451,615 times
Default I would love to have your weather...

I live just outside of Houston, TX where it is in the mid 90's, VERY humid and will stay this way through October. There are no real seasons, no beautiful foliage or crisp Fall temperatures, no snow in the winter; just heat, humidity and lots of mosquitoes. I am originally from the north Texas area, but it is not much different than Houston.
I did get to live in Michigan for a year and loved it! Such a nice change from Texas. I'm trying to convince my husband that we need to move up north. Personally, I could not get out of here fast enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts