Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 11:07 AM

38 posts, read 122,462 times

Advertisements

Where do you live now and do you miss Massachusetts? Excluding the high cost of living, if you could afford to live here, would you prefer to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2006, 12:28 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
Yes, I miss Massachusetts. I am in a writing group, albeit small, and one of the pieces I wrote was about living in MA. The other writers wondered, "why are you here?"

I am in Taos, NM, a place replete with beauty, but there is something about New England, and my days and nights in Western Massachusetts, in particular, that I long for and sometimes, even pine.

What I miss most is the brisk air in fall, the colours that dart out from evergreen, the rolling hills, and well tended farms, the flavour of local coffee, the bundled up Beaners, the crisp sound of a New England voice--and probably much more.

Taxes!

Old 10-15-2006, 03:39 PM

534 posts, read 3,111,620 times
Lived in metro Boston for 12 years and I don't miss it one bit...

Living now outside of Seattle but lived in about 5 other places since then too. All we're a step up from MA except Maryland.

The only way I could live in MA would be to live near NH or out in Western MA. My blood pressure went down and I lost tons of weight as soon as I left. I even became a nicer person.

Old 10-15-2006, 05:11 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
Lived in metro Boston for 12 years and I don't miss it one bit...

Living now outside of Seattle but lived in about 5 other places since then too. All we're a step up from MA except Maryland.

The only way I could live in MA would be to live near NH or out in Western MA. My blood pressure went down and I lost tons of weight as soon as I left. I even became a nicer person.

Lol, I know you were serious Chris but it did make me chuckle...

I miss going up to Gloucster again getting an awesome Lobster roll...nothing beats it! anyway pretty much that's it- oh yeah, Red Sox fever in late August ...

Old 10-15-2006, 06:54 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,890,714 times
I don't like to complain, truly, but I feel a bit of venting coming on.

I'm back in Boston right now (on year 5), after living all over the states for many years - PA to Atlanta to Seattle to L.A. to NC & I agree wholeheartedly with Chris & Miker, that I don't miss it when gone. As soon as I cross over the border when leaving MA, my entire body relaxes, I don't have headaches/asthma or feel constantly aggitated by the overly loud voices, lack of/competitiveness with urban parking, loudness of the city with its layer upon layer of noises, the dirtiness, or the rudeness of residents.

Is it my imagination or do folks drive around with their hands firmly depressing car horns at every intersection? Is it me, or do people talk too loud & too often & too negatively for no apparant reason? Is it me or is this one of the dirtiest, ugly cities in the U.S.? Is it me or does every nationality dislike every other nationality here? Is it me or is no food affordable here?

It certainly depends on where you lived/grew up in MA, but for this inner-city dweller, I certainly can't wait to leave again, within 6-mos. I've lived here off & on for 20+ years & never look forward to returning in the times I've had to, even though I live 3-blocks from the ocean & can see it from my window. That & the fact that Starbucks is creeping in little by little onto street corners are my saving graces.

I have been to surburban MA locales & like any other state, the suburbs/country/small towns are always lovely. No matter how annoying the accents... Yes, I'm way past my time to leave. I cannot wait!

Hold a good thought for me please. My head hurts... Baltic_Celt

Thank you. Whine over...

Old 10-17-2006, 11:58 AM

534 posts, read 3,111,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Lol, I know you were serious Chris but it did make me chuckle...

I miss going up to Gloucster again getting an awesome Lobster roll...nothing beats it! anyway pretty much that's it- oh yeah, Red Sox fever in late August ...
Oh heck yeah I used to head up to the quary all the time and hang out there/chow down while looking out over the ocean. Great area out there. MA is a great area outside of the 128/95 loop. Lots of weekends at the Cape/Vineyard, Great Woods (Tweeter Center or whatever they call it now), and even in town, a decent music scene, although I usually had to go to Providence to see bands I like.

I have a ton of great memories about my time in MA, but I was miserable there and just didn't know it until I left. How's the road rage there these days?

Old 10-17-2006, 06:46 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,483 times
Yes, I do miss MA (lived in ware)

For me the cost of living there is nothing compared to what I encounter in NE PA so while a lot of people there moan about the cost of living, in most areas it is quite reasonable compared to NY and PA soo don't run quite yet.

I do agree tho that the boston area is very annoying and I would not live there for all the tea in China. Western MA is quite nice tho. Lots to do and friendly people in most areas. I HATE excise tax. That is the one thing I really get wound up about in MA.

Old 10-18-2006, 01:19 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,733,418 times
Default Surely you jest ..... Massachusetts Really

I lived 34 years in Boston. I have been all over the World, lived in many different states and foreign countries.

To the principal question, do I miss Massachusetts???

Yup, I miss the old dazes before it all went to Hell. I miss my old neighborhood before it went to Hell, I miss some of my old neighbors and the fun we had before it turned into Real Estate Lottery.

But do I miss Massachusetts and what it became. Not on your life.

I do miss Bldg 19. Every state should have one.

Did I miss anything, probably only a couple more thousand.

Naw, the good olde dazes are long gone.

In the later years I just had to get out of there in the winter. I would drive back from the airport and see the grime and bleak place, (the Kennedy's would call it Dank, why was that their favorite word???) and ask why am I still here. Easy it was for the money, come on building boom peak out quick.

It all turned into one big Police State where the insane where running the Institution. There is nothing to go back too. I wasn't born there, sure was not going to die there.

You really don't appreciate how bad it had become until you finally escape. To be really free you must be entirely out of New England, nothing but a zoo.

If you want to be miserable, move to MA. They should have to post warning signs at the border.

Last edited by jessiegirl_98; 09-13-2007 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: ranting that was offensive to other members

Old 10-18-2006, 06:02 AM

639 posts, read 3,528,060 times
I wouldn't go back to Boston, Massachusetts where I was born and raised if you paid me a million dollars. I have a lot of great memories growing up there and I'm really glad I had the life I did there, that's one thing that I'll take with me to the grave, even my nieces and nephews will never have what we had as kids growing up in the city when we did. But that was then for us and this is now. The old neighborhood has been invaded by the "wannabes" or as we say now the yuppies, even Hollywood's doing movies about my old neighbors and people around the corner and on the next block away etc...and they're making a killing in the theaters. You think it's easy, do you? We go to the movie theaters now and see all these people from the City of Boston up on the big screen, well, guess again, because it's nothing but capitalism & greed at it's finest and it's creeping into all of our homes and right now it's in theaters everywhere. I have to tell you the previous posters wrote about Mass. to a "T" right to a "T", they couldn't have said it any better either! They're not missing a THING living some where else leaving New England! I'm only over the border from Mass and I'm telling you right now, I can't wait to leave some day soon, I'm looking forward to it. The main reason are the winters; they're killing me and the older you get the worse they are for you. I'm determined that I'll move where there's no humidity or at least very little humidity with possibly some mild winters on the horizon compared to New England winters, yet I still want to see the snow but under the stipulation that it disappears within a few days. I doubt if it will be Florida or Arizona weather, that definitely sounds way too hot in my book. I think I'm going to check out Colorado's Front Range as crowded as they say it is there? It couldn't be as bad as Boston, it just couldn't be.

So NO, I'm a native Boston City Girl and I don't miss living there one bit, you move on and it's a good thing. I have to tell you though, there's wonderful memories growing up there, no one can take them away either! I could write a book like every one else around the City these days and it would be a best seller! May be I will some day and you'll see it on the bookshelves...

Old 10-21-2006, 08:51 PM

150 posts, read 706,438 times
I miss Mass. Grew up in Gloucester,living in Fla. for the last 12 yrs.I miss family,change of seasons,fried clams, and the smell of the ocean!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts