Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 12:30 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,240 times

Advertisements

I moved in last yr around this time into a TH. During the Fall, all the leaves from the house across the street ended up on our yard because they do zero leave collection. That house also has the world's largest tree (ok... a little exaggerated here but really, it's huge).

I'm ok with cleaning up leaves but to have to do it again and again because someone else doesn't bugs me. Oh, did I mention that our landscaping service charged about $200+ for the first clean up, then another $150 for the second. Then when Spring arrived, another $100+ for leaves that got left under the snow. These costs are split by the TH unit owners so I pay 1/3, but still, that's a lot of money for our tiny yard.

This is in Natick. Do towns have ordinances saying people have to clean up their own yard waste before it blows onto neighboring houses? The problem-house is not a condo or TH. I rarely see anyone occupy it, and even if I do, I don't want to confront the owner directly. What can I do? I'm afraid the same scenario will repeat this yr and I will have to pay that much again for removing someone else's leaves.

Last edited by mmyk72; 08-28-2013 at 12:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 04:53 PM

675 posts, read 1,700,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
I moved in last yr around this time into a TH. During the Fall, all the leaves from the house across the street ended up on our yard because they do zero leave collection. That house also has the world's largest tree (ok... a little exaggerated here but really, it's huge).

I'm ok with cleaning up leaves but to have to do it again and again because someone else doesn't bugs me. Oh, did I mention that our landscaping service charged about $200+ for the first clean up, then another $150 for the second. Then when Spring arrived, another $100+ for leaves that got left under the snow. These costs are split by the TH unit owners so I pay 1/3, but still, that's a lot of money for our tiny yard.

This is in Natick. Do towns have ordinances saying people have to clean up their own yard waste before it blows onto neighboring houses? The problem-house is not a condo or TH. I rarely see anyone occupy it, and even if I do, I don't want to confront the owner directly. What can I do? I'm afraid the same scenario will repeat this yr and I will have to pay that much again for removing someone else's leaves.
My first thought was, "Are they elderly?" I know a lot of cases of homes that look unkempt turn out to have an elderly widow or couple who can neither do the work themselves nor afford to pay someone else. When I was growing up one such widow used to buy a few boxes of munchkins and lollipops and have every kid in the neighborhood show up for a leaf raking party.

If this is the case that the owner(s) cannot maintain their yard - or even if not - maybe go over and ask, "Do you need some help clearing your leaves?" and see what transpires. It's helpful rather than confrontational and may get you somewhere.

Good luck.

Last edited by tribechamy; 08-28-2013 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 08-28-2013, 05:50 PM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
I'm ok with cleaning up leaves but to have to do it again and again
because someone else doesn't bugs me.
c'est la vie

Old 08-28-2013, 06:06 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,098,971 times
I honestly never clean my leaves except from my gutters. I have way more important things to do than let my yard dictate my life. Do my neighbors complain? Not to me , but I wouldn't care anyway. I removed any bushes or shrubbery from my yard and no flower beds or landscaping. I have no trees on my lot and only have grass to mow every 10 days or so.

I say forget the leaves and get out and live life, you only get one.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:05 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
We live in a condominium. The whole point of HOAs and condominiums is the idea that the whole neighborhood complies with a consistent standard of up-keep. One of the biggest advantages single-family home owners tout, in comparison to condos, is their ability to do what they wish, without having to abide by rules of the community. If folks can do what they wish, then they can do what they wish, without second-guessing of it by neighbors.

It would be a nice gesture though to offer to clean up a neighbor's property, though unless there was a good reason to assume that the neighbor would appreciate that gesture in the spirit intended, I could see how it could be misinterpreted as an insult.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:55 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,547,503 times
I'm sure there are some teenagers around that would love the chance at a part-time job of cleaning up your leaves. They certainly wouldn't charge $150 to $200. Kids that are 14 or 15 seem to be the age to target. Of course if you live in a very affluent community the kids get all the $ they need from their parents.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:30 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,452 times
Have been through that scenario. The only thing you can do is take care of your own property and hope that the wind blows in the opposite direction. :-) If it makes you feel better multiple clean ups are normal. Trees drop leaves at different times and of course the wind will blow them around. They will kill the grass if left too long. The cost for 3 clean ups is probably less expensive than new sod.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:02 AM

609 posts, read 2,243,403 times
Why would the leaves kill the grass? Won't it act as mulch when the leaves disintegrate.

I agree that just live your life and don't fret the small things.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:18 AM

2,723 posts, read 6,112,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerclaws View Post
Why would the leaves kill the grass? Won't it act as mulch when the leaves disintegrate.
If blocked by the sun, the grass can die within a week. It would take a couple years before the leaves turn to mulch.

My advice to the OP, strike a match and run like hell.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:48 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
The homeowner could clean up his own leaves, without involving the landscaping company, and their fees.

Doesn't anyone do their own yardwork anymore?

Last edited by MassVt; 08-29-2013 at 09:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: