Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 07:21 PM

33 posts, read 98,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Remarkably, we've gone from one chain to another, for our favorite: From On the Border in Woburn to Margarita's in Lexington/Bedford. Ixtapa in Woburn is also quite good. I think the problem with talking about "favorite Mexican restaurant" is that different people have different expectations for what Mexican cuisine is for, for them, and even the same person may view very different dining experiences as serving different "purposes" and therefore may have a favorite Mexican restaurant in one circumstance and a different favorite Mexican restaurant in another circumstance.
I went to Margaritas and in one word, terrible. I didn't like the food at all and seemed like they gave you hardly anything for the price. NH now has a few locations I see but I got news for you, they have nothing on Shortys. Shortys is one of my favorite places. Ixtapa is ok.. Pinatas is ok but Shortys in NH is better. Casa Blanca in Billerica is probably the best one in the area or within MA limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 07:24 PM

33 posts, read 98,788 times
Quote:
Definitely; that's pretty-much what I was implying earlier. I worked in Mexico a bit, about twenty years ago, so I have had a lot of exposure to Mexican cuisine. If I had to stack up cuisines, Mexican cuisine would actually rank quite a bit lower than Tex-Mex in terms of my preferences and the preferences of most of the folks I know, one of many cases where authenticity works against something. Another cuisine where that's often the case is Chinese. I've had occasion to come to understand a couple of (authentic) regional Chinese cuisines, and American Chinese cuisine is my preference by a mile.
Why is this exactly? I don't get the way of thinking that non authentic is better than authentic. Real Chinese food to me is better than American Chinese. You mean appetizers like Chicken fingers over say fish heads and rice? You're confusing me some. Spell it out. How is tex mex better than real Mexican and how is American fusion style Chinese food better than a place that has a very Chinese appearance?

Old 11-29-2017, 11:09 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That left one mediocre restaurant. Now I live far north of Boston and have tried a place in Amesbury that is overpriced and not too good, a place in Rowely, similar, and Acapulco's in Newburyport which is nothing to write home about either. I used to like the chain, Baja Fresh--probably not true Mexican, I don't know, but the food tasted good to me and they didn't skimp on things. It was good enough but not for wonderful food like the one that used to exist in Northampton. (Their mole recipe was said to be secret and was brought here by their family.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Acapulco's anywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Seriously? I went to the Acapulco's in Needham a month or so ago and everything about it was absolutely horrible.

My wife and I went a few times when they were down the street in Newton and loved it. A while back, they moved to where the Ground Round used to be Needham and for some reason we didn't go after they moved (ironically they were now closer yet we didn't go). We got a hankering for Mexican food when a coupon for the restaurant showed up in the mail one day to remind us of its existence and headed over there for dinner a few days later. The nachos were gross and all the toppings looked and tasted like they came out of a can including the guacamole. The fajitas were the most bland I'd ever had and again the sides like very much like they came out of a can. The restaurant itself just looked dirty. The booth they sat us in was next to a baseball size hole in the wall. The service was terrible too. The waiter looked miserable and disappeared for long stretches of time. There just was nothing to like about this place. I don't think I'll ever go back there.
Throwing in my 2 cents on Acapulco's.

Acapulco's in Sudbury, so so, seems the food is toned down Americanized.

Acapulco's in Milford, mucho mejor I had some really tasty and generous mole pollo tamale.

Also, recently tried The Alamo in Milford and would highly recommend. Really original and authentic menu and very happy decorating inside but not over-the-top happy, if you know what I mean.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:06 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallcoolone14 View Post
I went to Margaritas and in one word, terrible. I didn't like the food at all and seemed like they gave you hardly anything for the price. NH now has a few locations I see but I got news for you, they have nothing on Shortys. Shortys is one of my favorite places. Ixtapa is ok.. Pinatas is ok but Shortys in NH is better. Casa Blanca in Billerica is probably the best one in the area or within MA limits.
Margaritas, Ixtapa, Border Cafe are terrible. Terrible as Tex-Mex and terrible as Mex-Mex. They don't put any spices in the food. (I don't mean just hot, I mean spices.) The margaritas taste like dishwater.

On The Border is a Dallas-based chain which is considered mediocre there (it's mostly a place to drink and talk, and the food is incidental). For a big chain it's one of the better ones here, but they also de-spice their food compared to at home. The margaritas are not particularly good, but at least they taste like margaritas.

Taqueria Mexico in Waltham and La Posada in Arlington are pretty good for Mass. They would be about the middle of the pack in Texas.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:08 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallcoolone14 View Post
Why is this exactly? I don't get the way of thinking that non authentic is better than authentic. Real Chinese food to me is better than American Chinese. You mean appetizers like Chicken fingers over say fish heads and rice? You're confusing me some. Spell it out. How is tex mex better than real Mexican and how is American fusion style Chinese food better than a place that has a very Chinese appearance?
Tex-Mex is not imitation Mexican. It is Tex-Mex. That's like saying New England clam chowder is only imitation clam chowder because it's different than New York clam chowder.

Also, Tex-Mex is not THAT different from Mex-Mex, despite what self-styled experts constantly say.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:05 PM

221 posts, read 243,203 times
Quote:
Definitely; that's pretty-much what I was implying earlier. I worked in Mexico a bit, about twenty years ago, so I have had a lot of exposure to Mexican cuisine. If I had to stack up cuisines, Mexican cuisine would actually rank quite a bit lower than Tex-Mex in terms of my preferences and the preferences of most of the folks I know, one of many cases where authenticity works against something. Another cuisine where that's often the case is Chinese. I've had occasion to come to understand a couple of (authentic) regional Chinese cuisines, and American Chinese cuisine is my preference by a mile.
this is my problem as well... worked in Mexico, Costa Rica and South America... honestly besides the coffee wood roasted chicken dishes in Costa Rica I would say most "Authentic" Mexican food i had was pretty terrible... My best bud married a straight up illegal Honduran girl and besides her empanadas, the rest of her food is not to my preference. bland black beans, plantains, beef tips, etc is just a meh for me.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:12 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Tenoch (Somerville), Taqueria El Amigo (Waltham), El Pelon (Fenway), Habanero (Allston)

Being married into a first gen Guatemalan family, I have become a HUGE authentic street taco fan (double wrapped corn tortilla w/ meat of choice, onion, queso fresco or chihuahua, and cilantro). Minimalism is everything when it comes to Central American street food. The style has really picked up in Boston as reflected above, but the best spots still reside in southern California IMO.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:46 PM

5,740 posts, read 4,694,854 times
My favorite Mexican is Miguel. He mows my lawn.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:11 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,806,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
the best spots still reside in southern California IMO.
I think you misspelled Texas.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:38 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
I think you misspelled Texas.
The historical aspect of the Texas Mexican Railway is the only thing that interests me about Tex Mex. Texas can keep their cumin chili, cheese nachos, and hard tacos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts